This page is a gateway for legal diversity resources aimed at current law students, practicing attorneys, and law firms. We hope you find the diversity resources here useful. This page will be continually updated with new resources when available.
One of the first places we recommend checking out as a law student when looking for diversity resources is our forum, Under Represented Law Student Forum. If you are a diverse candidate and are working on writing your personal statement, you should definitely read Chapter 12 of the TLS Guide to Personal Statements, titled Diversity Candidates.
Another good place to learn about diversity is through articles, papers, and other resources on the topic. We have compiled a list of more than 300 such resources that can be found here: Diversity Resources.
We also have a list of diversity contacts in various law firms throughout the US that can be found here: Diversity Contacts.
Below are some additional diversity resources we have found helpful:
- Law Firm Diversity: How Race, Gender, Age, Social and Economic Divisions Impact the Hiring, Retention and Advancement of Law Firm Attorneys by Harrison Barnes
LAW FIRM DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
- Age vs. Experience Discrimination
- Becoming a Mother: Continuing to Care For Your Other Baby...Your Career
- Can Rethinking the "Billable Hour" Lead to More Law Firm Gender Equality?
- Class Divisions and Hierarchies within Major Law Firms
- The Delicate Matter of Reducing Your Hours
- Diversity Directory
- Diversity in the Legal World - The Big Picture
- Does 10 Years of Associate Experience Make a Lawyer Too Old in NYC?
- Effective Law Firm Interviewing Skills: How to Avoid "Off Limits" Questions but Still Get Information You Need to Make Good Hiring Decisions
- General Counsels Join Law Firm Diversity Movement: Corporate Clients Use Incentives and Punishments to Inspire Diversity and Inclusion
- How Law Firm Websites Influence Retention of Diverse Attorneys
- How “Out” Should I Be on My Resume?
- The Importance of Attracting and Retaining Gay Attorneys
- Is Time on Your Side?
- Law Firm Diversity: They All Talk the Talk, But It’s Harder to Walk the Walk by Harrison Barnes
- Law Firms and Part-Time Attorneys — They Really Can Go Hand in Hand
- Law Firms’ Continued Lack of Diversity: Scholars Provide Insight on Reasons and Solutions
- LawCrossing's Spotlight on Minority Attorneys by Harrison Barnes
- Learn How to Achieve Greater Success in Your Law Firm by Changing the Way You Hire Attorneys
- Steps to Attract and Retain Female Partners
- Top 14 Ways Law Firms Can Recruit and Retain Minority Attorneys by Harrison Barnes
- What Happens to Pregnant Attorneys at Law Firms?
- Where Do Law Firms Stand When It Comes to Gender Equality?
- Why Are So Many Women Reaching the Top of Big Law Firms?
- Why Upper and Lower Class Attorneys Rarely Succeed in Law Firms: How Race and Class Often Hinder Law Firm Success by Harrison Barnes
- Women Lawyers and Marketing
ABA ENTITIES DEVOTED TO DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
- Center for Racial and Ethnic Diversity
- Coalition on Racial and Ethnic Justice
- Commission on Hispanic Legal Rights & Responsibilities
- Commission on Racial and Ethnic Diversity in the Profession
- Commission on Sexual Orientation & Gender Identity
- Council for Racial and Ethnic Diversity in the Educational Pipeline
BAR AND PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS
- Association of Law Firm Diversity Professionals
- Black Entertainment and Sports Lawyers Association
- Corporate Counsel—Women of Color
- Hispanic National Bar Association
- Latina Lawyers Bar Association
- The Leadership Institute for Women of Color in Law
- Lesbian and Gay Lawyers Association
- Minority Corporate Counsel Association
- National Asian Pacific American Bar Association
- National Association of Minority and Women Owned Law Firms
- National Association of Women Judges
- National Association of Women Lawyers
- National Bar Association
- National Black Prosecutors Association
- National Conference of Black Lawyers
- National Conference of Women’s Bar Associations
- National Hispanic Prosecutor Association
- The National LGBT Bar Association
- National Native American Bar Association
- North American South Asian Bar Association
STUDENT BAR ASSOCIATIONS
- National Asian Pacific American Law Students Association
- National Black Law Students Association
- National Latino/a Law Student Association
- National Muslim Law Student Association
- National Native American Law Students Association
- North American South Asian Law Students Association
- 2016 Report on Diversity in U.S. Law Firms (National Association for Law Placement)
- A Current Glance at Women in the Law (ABA’s Commission on Women in the Profession)
- American Bar Association’s National Lawyer Population Survey 10-Year Trend in Lawyer Demographics
- Leading Practices in Law Department Diversity and Inclusion Initiatives: Company Best Practices
LAW REVIEW ARTICLES