Out of my league firm Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Out of my league firm

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:33 am

Question for people familiar with what goes down in the hiring committee meetings...So I recently had a callback with a firm that is very "out of my league." (V10) :) I'm top 20% at a top 30 law school, no journal, no real work experience before law school, went to an unheard of undergraduate university and majored in fine arts. I would like to believe I am personable and interview well. Not URM. Anyways...the question is...after the callback, is it purely based on how that interview went? Or are my mediocre credentials/work experience going to be brought up?

Sincerely,
Suddenly insecure

Anonymous User

Re: Out of my league firm

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:Question for people familiar with what goes down in the hiring committee meetings...So I recently had a callback with a firm that is very "out of my league." (V10) :) I'm top 20% at a top 30 law school, no journal, no real work experience before law school, went to an unheard of undergraduate university and majored in fine arts. I would like to believe I am personable and interview well. Not URM. Anyways...the question is...after the callback, is it purely based on how that interview went? Or are my mediocre credentials/work experience going to be brought up?

Sincerely,
Suddenly insecure
Every firm has its own system so there's no way to answer your question without being on the hiring committee at the firm you interviewed at. You did your best and there's nothing more you can do at this point. Sit back and relax.

anono583

New

Post by anono583 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:39 am

You're not smart enough for a V10

User has been outed for anon abuse.

jacketyellow

Bronze

Post by jacketyellow » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:Question for people familiar with what goes down in the hiring committee meetings...So I recently had a callback with a firm that is very "out of my league." (V10) :) I'm top 20% at a top 30 law school, no journal, no real work experience before law school, went to an unheard of undergraduate university and majored in fine arts. I would like to believe I am personable and interview well. Not URM. Anyways...the question is...after the callback, is it purely based on how that interview went? Or are my mediocre credentials/work experience going to be brought up?

Sincerely,
Suddenly insecure
After the screening interview, the callback is usually about fit. When the committee analyzes possibilities for screener invites, grades are usually an important part of the process. If you get a callback, it usually means that the firm is interested; you have a good personality; and they want to make sure you vibe with members of the firm. I daresay that grades do not matter much at this point in the game. I was median at a top 20 school, got a screener at a very good firm, got a callback, and got the only offer for that practice group. My grades definitely were not what the firm usually goes for. Be confident. :D

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:46 am

jacketyellow wrote:

Sincerely,
Suddenly insecure
After the screening interview, the callback is usually about fit. When the committee analyzes possibilities for screener invites, grades are usually an important part of the process. If you get a callback, it usually means that the firm is interested; you have a good personality; and they want to make sure you vibe with members of the firm. I daresay that grades do not matter much at this point in the game. I was median at a top 20 school, got a screener at a very good firm, got a callback, and got the only offer for that practice group. My grades definitely were not what the firm usually goes for. Be confident. :D
This is probably true for a lot of firms but not all v10. For example, Simpson has a numeric evaluation system where sub-par grades will hurt you. But regardless of what their system is, there's nothing you can do at this point.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:31 am

jacketyellow wrote:

Sincerely,
Suddenly insecure

So I have a related question about a firm that is really not out of my league. I had a callback, and two days later was given a call by one of the lawyers who interviewed me telling me how much he enjoyed meeting me and how impressed he was and blah blah the whole schtick, and offering me to join the firm. That was followed up by and offer letter from the recruiting dept, and several other congratulatory emails from two other lawyers I had met with. The following day, I got another call from the recruiting department telling me it was all a mistake, that I did not have an offer, and that my application was no longer under consideration, and good luck.

I have other offers from other similar firms ("better" firms arguably) so I'm trying to figure out what's going on. If it's "fit" then why the enthusiastic show of support from the lawyers at the firm in the first place? It would have been better for my own sanity if they just told me "no, sorry" after the callback - that at least would have been understandable.

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:
jacketyellow wrote:

Sincerely,
Suddenly insecure

So I have a related question about a firm that is really not out of my league. I had a callback, and two days later was given a call by one of the lawyers who interviewed me telling me how much he enjoyed meeting me and how impressed he was and blah blah the whole schtick, and offering me to join the firm. That was followed up by and offer letter from the recruiting dept, and several other congratulatory emails from two other lawyers I had met with. The following day, I got another call from the recruiting department telling me it was all a mistake, that I did not have an offer, and that my application was no longer under consideration, and good luck.

I have other offers from other similar firms ("better" firms arguably) so I'm trying to figure out what's going on. If it's "fit" then why the enthusiastic show of support from the lawyers at the firm in the first place? It would have been better for my own sanity if they just told me "no, sorry" after the callback - that at least would have been understandable.
If I had to guess I would say the offer itself was not a mistake but they miscalculated their acceptance rate or forgot to account for a different acceptance. They obviously couldn't withdraw their offer so they pretended it was a mistake.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
jacketyellow wrote:

Sincerely,
Suddenly insecure

That's terrible behavior. What an asshole firm.

I'm glad you have other offers.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote: So I have a related question about a firm that is really not out of my league. I had a callback, and two days later was given a call by one of the lawyers who interviewed me telling me how much he enjoyed meeting me and how impressed he was and blah blah the whole schtick, and offering me to join the firm. That was followed up by and offer letter from the recruiting dept, and several other congratulatory emails from two other lawyers I had met with. The following day, I got another call from the recruiting department telling me it was all a mistake, that I did not have an offer, and that my application was no longer under consideration, and good luck.

That is fucking awful.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:09 pm

It is fucking awful, and I'm sorry that happened.

(I would bet it was a situation where the people who called you to say you were great and welcome to the firm were given a list of people who were hired to contact, and didn't actually know the mistake had been made either, and probably say all those things to everyone who gets hired, but it's still crappy.)

texas1100

New

Post by texas1100 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:10 pm

Out this firm.

Lesion of Doom

Bronze

Post by Lesion of Doom » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:10 pm

That story above might win the Most Asshole Action: Firm award for this cycle.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:25 pm

texas1100 wrote:Out this firm.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
You should send this to above the law.

darlenealderson

Bronze

Post by darlenealderson » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:02 pm

sparkytrainer wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
You should send this to above the law.
Honestly. This is the ultimate recruiting horror story from a student's perspective (imagine if this was your one and only offer and it got yanked from you like that). The firm definitely needs to be outed.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:14 pm

I'm not going to name the firm, because if I'm the only person it happened to at this firm, that identifies me as well. Sorry.

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm not going to name the firm, because if I'm the only person it happened to at this firm, that identifies me as well. Sorry.
We understand that, but once you have an offer elsewhere, you should at least consider it for future students. It is important for them to know.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:26 pm

sparkytrainer wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm not going to name the firm, because if I'm the only person it happened to at this firm, that identifies me as well. Sorry.
We understand that, but once you have an offer elsewhere, you should at least consider it for future students. It is important for them to know.
I appreciate that, and I did tip AtL, but that's the best I can do. Hope you understand.

mganteater

New

Post by mganteater » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
sparkytrainer wrote:
I appreciate that, and I did tip AtL, but that's the best I can do. Hope you understand.
Can you PM the firm? I had something nearly identical happen to me in the SoCal market

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:47 pm

mganteater wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
sparkytrainer wrote:
Can you PM the firm? I had something nearly identical happen to me in the SoCal market
No, but I can tell you it's a NY firm. Sorry that it happened to you as well - hope you have some other offers to choose from!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:45 pm

Could you give the approximate vault ranking of firm? V10, etc?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Could you give the approximate vault ranking of firm? V10, etc?
Why does this matter, anon?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:56 pm

The anon in question has said they don't want to give any more identifying information, so people need to stop asking.

(I'm also not sure how one fuck-up, which is admittedly awful for the person involved, says much about working at this firm that people need to know to make decisions about employment, but feel free to enlighten me.)

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:20 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:The anon in question has said they don't want to give any more identifying information, so people need to stop asking.

(I'm also not sure how one fuck-up, which is admittedly awful for the person involved, says much about working at this firm that people need to know to make decisions about employment, but feel free to enlighten me.)
Yes, exactly. This sounds like a clerical error of sorts. Would suck to be on the receiving end of it... but I sorta doubt there were bad motives at play.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:24 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:The anon in question has said they don't want to give any more identifying information, so people need to stop asking.

Yes, exactly. This sounds like a clerical error of sorts. Would suck to be on the receiving end of it... but I sorta doubt there were bad motives at play.
I'm not an "out the firm!" fan, but here's the thing: if there was indeed a clerical error, then the firm sucks for putting the cost of that error on the applicant instead of on itself. Basically, once that offer went out, the firm should have sucked it up and stood by its offer, even if the offer was the result of a mistake.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”