Harvard vs Columbia ED? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
lin3

New

Harvard vs Columbia ED?

Post by lin3 » Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:36 am

Am I significantly more likely to get into Columbia ED vs Harvard? I was waitlisted at both last year. LSAT is 179, gpa is 3.86, and essays/resume are average. I am debating whether it is worth applying to Columbia regular decision just in case there is a chance I can get into Harvard, or if it is just a safer bet to apply ED. I know being waitlisted is usually a good sign for the next cycle, but my concern is that I was dropped from the Harvard waitlist pretty early on (3 weeks), while I was kept on the Columbia waitlist for the rest of the summer. I would slightly prefer Harvard over Columbia, but if the difference in the likelihood I will get into Columbia over Harvard is pretty large, then it is probably most logical to focus on that application. Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you :)

talons2250

Bronze

Re: Harvard vs Columbia ED?

Post by talons2250 » Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:14 am

Applying ED versus applying RD won't make a big difference in terms of your ultimate outcome in applying to Columbia. If you're a borderline person, then applying ED won't help you; you'll just get deferred. In this regard, law schools in the top tier typically don't operate like undergrad, where demonstrated interest and commitment to attending the school can be a significant factor. Just apply to both regular decision and hope for the best.

I'm surprised that you were waitlisted at both with your stats, especially at Columbia, which has historically been a less GPA-conscious and more LSAT-focused top school. (Your GPA is narrowly below median for the top schools but your LSAT score is supremely impressive by any measure.)

lin3

New

Post by lin3 » Sat Oct 14, 2023 12:45 am

Thank you! One factor I’ve heard that might’ve affected my admissions is that I applied pretty late in the cycle (the due date actually lol). So hopefully applying earlier in the cycle will help!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:26 pm

lin3 wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 12:45 am
Thank you! One factor I’ve heard that might’ve affected my admissions is that I applied pretty late in the cycle (the due date actually lol). So hopefully applying earlier in the cycle will help!
Because you applied late in the cycle, I suggest that you apply early in the RD round to both Harvard & to Columbia.

Also, apply to the University of Chicago since you should receive consideration for a substantial merit scholarship award.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”