super splitter 170/2.3/n-kjd/urm Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
hlsmeplz

New

super splitter 170/2.3/n-kjd/urm

Post by hlsmeplz » Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:08 am

chances at t14?

5 years professional working experience in consulting

crazywafflez

Silver

Re: super splitter 170/2.3/n-kjd/urm

Post by crazywafflez » Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:52 pm

Tough to say. I think you'll get a bite or two. I don't think you'll get any good packages/monies. I'd apply broadly and to the T20 as well. Your cycle is going to be interesting, for sure.

hlsmeplz

New

Post by hlsmeplz » Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:50 pm

crazywafflez wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:52 pm
Tough to say. I think you'll get a bite or two. I don't think you'll get any good packages/monies. I'd apply broadly and to the T20 as well. Your cycle is going to be interesting, for sure.
thank you for the reply, is there anything else that can help my cause besides a higher lsat score?

AdieuCali

Bronze

Post by AdieuCali » Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:02 pm

WUSTL is probably your best bet for admission and scholarships.

What are your career goals and desired market?

crazywafflez

Silver

Post by crazywafflez » Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:39 am

hlsmeplz wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:50 pm
crazywafflez wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:52 pm
thank you for the reply, is there anything else that can help my cause besides a higher lsat score?
I agree with Adieu, you are gonna have the best option most likely at WashU- a lot of your app strat though should focus on what you want to do. Do you want to be in local govt or immigration law in Dallas? SMU fullride>sticker at vandy. Do you want biglaw there? Well, I'd still take the SMU fullride over Vandy but your calculus may change, I just fear debt. Apply to the T20, and then pick a regional or two T1 you'd be happy at and see where the chips fall. Say you are from Ohio, or anywhere in the midwest, and would be happy practicing there, see what OSU offers you. Find the state you'd be happiest practicing in and apply to the state flagship.
As for your application, it really is a numbers game. You are such an extreme splitter that it really is quite hard to say. It could be that Emory or BC are looking to bring their LSAT scores way up, so they accept you and offer you some good packages, or it could be that USC already has pretty good LSAT scores but does need a GPA boost, so they ding you. Get as many waivers as you can and apply broadly. I'd also apply soon, unless you are waiting for next cycle.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hlsmeplz

New

Post by hlsmeplz » Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:22 am

im in NY and would like to practice here too, biglaw is nice but my goal is to get to a school that offers the most diverse career opportunities

bdiggity18

New

Post by bdiggity18 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:15 pm

T14 probably out unless you land a bullseye at Northwestern. more like WUSTL, ND, SMU, W&L, Indiana, UGA, you'll probably end up picking a winner in there somewhere if you're not deadset on location. Dallas-Fort Worth legal market is enormous and SMU is a pretty strong feeder to local biglaw.

LBJ's Hair

Silver

Post by LBJ's Hair » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:48 pm

think a T20 at sticker or low-five-figures scholly is gonna be your best option.

and I'd think deeply about my career goals before leaving a six-figure consulting job for that.

not to say you *shouldn't*, but if you already have a good job, you should have a good reason for doing so.

hlsmeplz

New

Post by hlsmeplz » Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:34 pm

what schools do you guys recommend in NY, any chance for nyu, columbia, cornell, fordham?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:28 pm

hlsmeplz wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:34 pm
what schools do you guys recommend in NY, any chance for nyu, columbia, cornell, fordham?
Plausible shot at FLS but those other three are basically out absent truly remarkable softs (URM astronaut, etc.)

hlsmeplz

New

Post by hlsmeplz » Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:13 am

The Lsat Airbender wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:28 pm
hlsmeplz wrote:
Plausible shot at FLS but those other three are basically out absent truly remarkable softs (URM astronaut, etc.)
would a 175 help my case in any of those situations?

crazywafflez

Silver

Post by crazywafflez » Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:14 am

A 175 would probs help with NW. Possibly G'town, for sure WashU. You may still get a great outcome and package from Fordham or WashU with your score now; I can't say for sure. But if you feel you've got room to go up I'd retake. Each point will help. Not sure i'd give up a consultant job to go to anything below the T20, and even then I'd be hesitant unless it were free. I think you've got a decent chance at good scholly though to Fordham, possibly Emory, GWU, BC; idk if they can get you to NYC (Fordham can), but they may be worth a shot if you get a really good scholarship (i.e. they are borderline fullrides). If you retake, retake it now- cause I wouldn't want to be applying much past Jan, and I think even now you are gonna be late getting scholarship monies (so if you don't plan to retake, apply now).
For reference, I go to a regional T1 in the region I want to practice in on close to a fullride. I went in knowing my chances at biglaw were slim (it wasn't my goal). I have a job lined up for grad that I'm thrilled with- it does not pay six figures though. I did not take the sticker price option at the T20 in my neck of the woods. Make sure your goals align with your stats- if not, adjust accordingly. Whatever you do, do not go hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt for a trap school or something akin. Do not take out massive loans unless you are going to the T13, and even then, be hesitant!

AdieuCali

Bronze

Post by AdieuCali » Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:19 am

hlsmeplz wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:13 am
The Lsat Airbender wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:28 pm
hlsmeplz wrote:
would a 175 help my case in any of those situations?
https://mylsn.info/bmp3z2/

Maybe, but probably not. You're under the GPA "floor" at most of the T20. Then again, you're a URM with solid work experience and the myLSN sample size for your stats is quite small.

You're kind of a wild card. I wouldn't be surprised if you got into a T13 (sticker), WUSTL w/$$$, and Fordham (w/?). I also wouldn't be surprised if you got locked out of the T20 and your best option for NY is Cardozo or Bklyn w/$$$. So I'd probably apply to the lower-T13, WUSTL, and Fordham. If you have a good reason your GPA is low, an addendum might help. You may also consider hiring an admissions consultant like Spivey since you're position is so unique. I would be fully prepared to not get into any of those schools and forgo going to law school.

I would also echo LBJ's comments. Real talk: If you've got a decent career with opportunities for growth or movement to the business side and no passionate interest in practicing law, why make the leap? The most important thing to consider is that outside the T13, the median graduate will start out making $50-60k/year. Realistically, there's only 2 starting salaries for most NY lawyers: $190k or $60k. https://abovethelaw.com/2018/06/the-mos ... h-the-law/

I imagine you're making much more than that now. I think we could debate whether UVA (sticker) or WUSTL (full-ride) would be "worth it" for your goals. But beyond those options, why take yourself out of the job market for 3 years and take on student debt only to end up taking a pay cut? Unfortunately, that's the most likely outcome for you at the vast majority of law schools.

hlsmeplz

New

Post by hlsmeplz » Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:07 pm

thanks for all the great information @adieucali and @crazywafflez and everyone else... a lot to consider rn

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”