3.80/174 non-urm HYS/Chicago chances? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
metamango47

New

3.80/174 non-urm HYS/Chicago chances?

Post by metamango47 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:06 pm

Hi everyone!

I am a recent graduate from a top undergraduate institution with a nontraditional quantitative major (I didn't expect to be applying to law school until last year). My school and major were among the most prestigious in the country, making it difficult to consistently get good grades, and I managed to finish up with a 3.8 after getting some B's my freshman year. I also got a 174 on the LSAT and by the time I apply to law schools, I will have experience at a prestigious policy internship as well as full-time work experience in corporate strategy. I am not a URM, but my academic background and experiences are pretty unique from the traditional law school applicant.

I am wondering how my chances are at HYS or UChicago. Although my GPA is lower than their 25th percentiles, my grades did improve during undergrad (in my senior year I got all A's and also took most of my humanities/writing-heavy courses that year). My extracurricular involvement was solid but not exceptional (leadership positions in a debate club, performing arts group, involvement in social impact projects, held an on-campus job).

Do I have a chance at HYS or University of Chicago? It seems like my GPA falling short may be enough for my application to get tossed into the rejection pile, but is there a chance that my school's reputation, the difficulty of my major, and the upward trend in my grades could compensate for that? Ideally I want to attend a law school with a solid reputation to have a better chance at big law positions/internships, but I don't want to spend time and money on an application that's doomed from the start :( I do plan on submitting apps to the other T14s and a couple of other schools, but I am curious as to whether it is worth applying to some of the schools with higher admission stats, especially regarding GPA. Thanks!

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Re: 3.80/174 non-urm HYS/Chicago chances?

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:33 am

Your chances are decent but not great. Harvard in particular admits a ton of 3.8/173 types to maintain their LSAT median. Nothing you can do now except put your best foot forward on applications.

Optimal strategy for you is to blanket the T13. All of them are good choices for biglaw, and you'll probably get some massive discounts, including possibly at Columbia which is a peer in every sense to this "HYSChicago" category you've come up with.

007sean

New

Post by 007sean » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:57 pm

Your chances are excellent for Harvard, Chicago and Columbia. Fabulous LSAT. A 3.8 from a top undergraduate institutions with rigorous major is extremely strong. Yale and Stanford are totally unpredictable. Congrats.

LBJ's Hair

Silver

Post by LBJ's Hair » Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:08 pm

Just apply, your numbers are good for those schools but not gonna blow them out of the water. Don't think it's worth speculating further.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”