LSAT:169 GPA:3.3 Non-URM Chances at T20 with $$ Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Inhousefuture

New

LSAT:169 GPA:3.3 Non-URM Chances at T20 with $$

Post by Inhousefuture » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:28 pm

LSAT SCORE: 169 GPA:3.3 Non-URM

OK softs: Overcoming childhood learning disability, local community leadership positions, minor fame in the performing arts, admin job providing support to Public Sector lawyers.

Ideal outcome for schools: T20 with $$

Goal: I eventually want to work on the west coast in an in-house legal position, which means that by definition west coast Biglaw is necessary. So therefore, my immediate career goal is Biglaw on the west coast.

A few questions:

1. Am I correct that while my childhood learning disability does not make me an URM, it could work well for a diversity statement? It was a major part of my life to the extent that I have given lectures about it and even once worked as a summer camp counselor at a camp for children who had the same difficulties I had.

2. Is there anything I will need to take into consideration if in-house is my ultimate goal?

3. I know that HYS is lost, but how does CCN look at sticker? How does the rest of the T14 with $ look? How do the two Los Angeles schools in the T20 look with perhaps a better $ package than the T14? Which is best for Biglaw on the West Coast?

4. How will Co-Vid affect admissions/financial aid packages?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks

decimalsanddollars

Bronze

Re: LSAT:169 GPA:3.3 Non-URM Chances at T20 with $$

Post by decimalsanddollars » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:10 am

https://mylsn.info/c3nsmm/

Looks like not awesome shot at T14 (small sample, but Michigan, UVA, and NW look possible), but pretty good chances at USC/UCLA with money. I think your disability story will be a good soft factor; I'll leave it to your discretion whether to write a diversity statement on it (personally don't think there's any downside). If you want CCN to be realistic in any sense, you gotta retake.

jbcony31

New

Post by jbcony31 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:16 am

I believe that your softs and your LSAT will put you in a good place for some schools in California (i.e., Hastings, Loyola, San Diego, and Pepperdine). Getting into to schools like Stanford, UC-Berkeley, UCLA, USC, UC-Davis will be a reach but could happen. If you want to be in Cal, I would strongly suggest applying to all schools on this list.

1) I would mention your learning disability in your personal statement.

2) As you correctly stated, BigLaw should be your goal but other firms in the area would also be equally helpful to going in-house.

3) (see above)

4) COVID may significantly impact this cycle but not one knows what that looks like yet. However, I think law schools are planning to review applicants with similar timelines as in year prior but that could change.

Hope this helps.

(A practicing attorney that went to a highly-regarded law school in the Midwest, worked for a federal judge, and works at a regional law firm)

Inhousefuture

New

Post by Inhousefuture » Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:02 am

Thanks for your replies. From anyone's experience, how good are the money packages at UCLA and USC for someone with my stats? If I retake, how far would I have I have to raise my score to improve $$ and to get into the better part of the T14?

Thanks

AdieuCali

Bronze

Post by AdieuCali » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:51 am

decimalsanddollars wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:10 am
https://mylsn.info/c3nsmm/

Looks like not awesome shot at T14 (small sample, but Michigan, UVA, and NW look possible), but pretty good chances at USC/UCLA with money. I think your disability story will be a good soft factor; I'll leave it to your discretion whether to write a diversity statement on it (personally don't think there's any downside). If you want CCN to be realistic in any sense, you gotta retake.
Worth throwing in apps at UC Davis and UC Irvine as well, since they appear to give $$$ at OP's LSAT. Obviously it's probably only going to be a 1/3 chance at biglaw from those schools, but that might be better than spending near-sticker for a 40-50% shot at UCLA.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”