Chance Me @ UIUC 3.13 UGPA, 160 LSAT, Non-URM Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Another0Ler

New

Chance Me @ UIUC 3.13 UGPA, 160 LSAT, Non-URM

Post by Another0Ler » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:25 am

Mylsn says I can get half tuition+. Is this realistic at all? I am applying on the day admissions open (Sep 1) and retaking this fall to try to nudge a couple points higher. My goals are regional. Would it be realistic to expect a job with 80k at a regional firm? 60k starting would be fine too, though ~80 would be just perfect. No intentions of biglaw.

decimalsanddollars

Bronze

Re: Chance Me @ UIUC 3.13 UGPA, 160 LSAT, Non-URM

Post by decimalsanddollars » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:54 am

https://mylsn.info/6z2zum/

Careful with these numbers. MyLSN has *one* person over the last 7 years with your numbers apply and submit their data; that's the smallest sample you could possibly pull, and I don't think it's realistic. When you go back as far as myLSN will let you:
https://mylsn.info/6z2zum/
Looks like 22% with your numbers got in, with some pretty big scholarships, and the rest (78%) were rejected. Now, again, most of the relevant data here is very old, so it's hard to rely on it.

Turning to UIUC's ABA 509 forms, their matriculation and scholarship stats were:
2019: LSAT 157, 162, 164. GPA 3.42, 3.70, 3.82 (79% of students received half-tuition or more)
2018: LSAT 157, 162, 164. GPA 3.25, 3.65, 3.80 (75% of students received half-tuition or more)
2017: LSAT 156, 161, 163. GPA 3.33, 3.61, 3.72 (70% of students received half-tuition or more)

It looks like you won't be admitted with your stats because your LSAT is below median and your GPA is well below the range they typically consider. That said, those who get in (and actually attend) have a good chance of big scholarship money. I recommend retaking until your LSAT is above the school's 75th percentile--so, get a 165 or higher.

Another0Ler

New

Post by Another0Ler » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:38 pm

Yes, I should have added that as a caveat, I was relying on a 2015 number + the fact that 77% get half or more. I was thinking I could get in because apparently they're splitter-friendly, I was thinking if I got in even with my GPA that I could procure half just for getting in because LSAT is probably weighted more. Maybe it's wishful thinking. All recent years say that 162 + my GPA receive full tuition though, which also was what I was going off. 162 being median is only the case for the last year or so, it was the 75th % the year before that which makes me think they are still throwing money at 162 to keep their numbers up. Obviously speculation means nothing when talking about law school and huge money/debt but that was my mindset, and why I am really hoping to at least pull 162. You're the second person to recommend 165 for full, I don't understand why so high when 162 seems to consistently receive full as well. I suppose for a safe bet + 165 being the first big threshold (scores higher become much more increasingly difficult to obtain than the jump from 150s to 165)? Thank you for the timely response. I suppose also what I am asking is if my mindset is at all reasonable, based on what I have said regarding 162 and full tuition, if that can naturally lead to a 160 getting half.

decimalsanddollars

Bronze

Post by decimalsanddollars » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:46 pm

Another0Ler wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:38 pm
Yes, I should have added that as a caveat, I was relying on a 2015 number + the fact that 77% get half or more. I was thinking I could get in because apparently they're splitter-friendly, I was thinking if I got in even with my GPA that I could procure half just for getting in because LSAT is probably weighted more. Maybe it's wishful thinking. All recent years say that 162 + my GPA receive full tuition though, which also was what I was going off. 162 being median is only the case for the last year or so, it was the 75th % the year before that which makes me think they are still throwing money at 162 to keep their numbers up. Obviously speculation means nothing when talking about law school and huge money/debt but that was my mindset, and why I am really hoping to at least pull 162. You're the second person to recommend 165 for full, I don't understand why so high when 162 seems to consistently receive full as well. I suppose for a safe bet + 165 being the first big threshold (scores higher become much more increasingly difficult to obtain than the jump from 150s to 165)? Thank you for the timely response. I suppose also what I am asking is if my mindset is at all reasonable, based on what I have said regarding 162 and full tuition, if that can naturally lead to a 160 getting half.
You seem to still be misreading the numbers. I'm not recommending 165 for full; very few receive a full ride, and most receive between half and full. 165 would make you safe for that range of scholarships, which I suspect is mostly scholarships closer to half tuition than to full. A 162 would bring you into play for admission but wouldn't guarantee a scholarship of any level.

As for how splitter-friendly UIUC is, that's cool and all, but you're not a splitter: both your numbers are below their standards every year. Sure, maybe you're a splitter for Chicago-Kent, but you'll need to improve your LSAT by several points to make the splitter conversation relevant. Same goes with "throwing money at 162": you don't have a 162.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”