3.0/162 Chances? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
RutherBaderLawnerd

New

3.0/162 Chances?

Post by RutherBaderLawnerd » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:03 pm

So, I realize that my numbers are low which is why I'm asking for advice. I'd like to attend law school and practice law on the east coast - preferably either Boston or DC. I am NOT a URM, and I have decent softs (two years of WE) and excellent personal statements, essays. I retook the LSAT in Feb, and I'm waiting for the score but I decided to chance myself just in case the score is lower.

1. Would I have any shot at the WAITLIST at GULC, GWU, BU, or BC? Luckily for me, money isn't too much of an issue when it comes to law school, so it's just a matter of admission for me.

2. What else can I do from here to strengthen my app? I'm out of LSAT takes so I'm looking for other ways to strengthen my app.

Any advice would be appreciated, particularly from people who were admitted into their reach schools.

cavalier1138

Re: 3.0/162 Chances?

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:34 pm

I always wonder what people's lives must be like to be able to say that money isn't an issue when paying over $200k for school...

Anyway, MyLSN says you have a decent shot at BC, but no shot at any of the others on your list. I doubt you're looking at much in the way of scholarships. And the only thing that would strengthen your app is a higher LSAT. There's literally nothing else that actually makes you a more viable candidate for school, outside of going back in time and being an engineer so you can bring a potential IP angle to the table.

My advice would be to see if you have a better score after this retake. If you don't, wait until you have another retake available. If you do and are happy with your score, then wait to apply next cycle, because you're screwing yourself out of admissions and money by applying this late.

RutherBaderLawnerd

New

Post by RutherBaderLawnerd » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:46 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:I always wonder what people's lives must be like to be able to say that money isn't an issue when paying over $200k for school...

Anyway, MyLSN says you have a decent shot at BC, but no shot at any of the others on your list. I doubt you're looking at much in the way of scholarships. And the only thing that would strengthen your app is a higher LSAT. There's literally nothing else that actually makes you a more viable candidate for school, outside of going back in time and being an engineer so you can bring a potential IP angle to the table.

My advice would be to see if you have a better score after this retake. If you don't, wait until you have another retake available. If you do and are happy with your score, then wait to apply next cycle, because you're screwing yourself out of admissions and money by applying this late.
I am not applying this cycle. I am applying next cycle (2017-2018). I realize I didn't make that clear earlier. Also, I'm more interested in what my chances are of being waitlisted at these reach schools because obviously a direct admit at these schools is a long shot. I've also noticed that mylsn has a smaller sample size as well? That concerns me a bit re: accurate,reliable info.

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:48 pm

Straight denied from Georgetown, GW, likely denied at BU, and maybe get in BC

thewhalefish

New

Post by thewhalefish » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:51 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:I always wonder what people's lives must be like to be able to say that money isn't an issue when paying over $200k for school...

I would be wary of telling someone they have zero chance of getting in somewhere. He softs may be phenomenal and his essays indeed excellent. I only say this because MLSN has on their front page "MyLSN does not show you your chances of admission at a particular school". Of course that's what the data basically is, but still. No flame intended here, just pointing that out. You could be completely right for all I know.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RutherBaderLawnerd

New

Post by RutherBaderLawnerd » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:08 pm

thewhalefish wrote:

I would be wary of telling someone they have zero chance of getting in somewhere. He softs may be phenomenal and his essays indeed excellent. I only say this because MLSN has on their front page "MyLSN does not show you your chances of admission at a particular school". Of course that's what the data basically is, but still. No flame intended here, just pointing that out. You could be completely right for all I know.
Do you know where I can find out my chances of getting the WL instead of deny at a particular school? Because that's what I'm more interested in and mysln's sample size is small in that regard for my numbers.

thewhalefish

New

Post by thewhalefish » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:13 pm

RutherBaderLawnerd wrote:
thewhalefish wrote:

Do you know where I can find out my chances of getting the WL instead of deny at a particular school? Because that's what I'm more interested in and mysln's sample size is small in that regard for my numbers.
I do not. But why would you want that information? The goal is to get into law school, not to be waitlisted. Even if you are waitlisted, I would assume that most of the time that results in a deny further down the line.

RutherBaderLawnerd

New

Post by RutherBaderLawnerd » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:20 pm

thewhalefish wrote:
thewhalefish wrote:

I do not. But why would you want that information? The goal is to get into law school, not to be waitlisted. Even if you are waitlisted, I would assume that most of the time that results in a deny further down the line.
No, I understand. I'm just trying to get accurate information on where I stand with these numbers that's all.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:26 pm

thewhalefish wrote:

His softs could be out of this world, but a 162/3.0 Nobel Laureate is still going to have trouble getting into GULC. I'd rather be realistic than coddling.

OP: There is no way to gauge chances at a waitlist. No one does that, because waitlist choices are unpredictable. As mentioned, your goal should be to get in, not to get waitlisted.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RutherBaderLawnerd

New

Post by RutherBaderLawnerd » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:37 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
thewhalefish wrote:

His softs could be out of this world, but a 162/3.0 Nobel Laureate is still going to have trouble getting into GULC. I'd rather be realistic than coddling.

OP: There is no way to gauge chances at a waitlist. No one does that, because waitlist choices are unpredictable. As mentioned, your goal should be to get in, not to get waitlisted.
I guess the best thing to do here is wait until the Feb. score comes back (I hate that these scores take forever to come back) and post a new thread then. I am eligible to take the LSAT this December (scores are posted arguably late in the cycle, especially for schools like GT) so that's an option too (although I'm not sure if I want to take this test again).

RutherBaderLawnerd

New

Post by RutherBaderLawnerd » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:37 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
thewhalefish wrote:

I guess the best thing to do here is wait until the Feb. score comes back (I hate that these scores take forever to come back) and post a new thread then. I am eligible to take the LSAT this December (howeve scores are posted arguably late in the cycle, especially for schools like GT) but that's an option too (although I'm not sure if I want to take this test again).

NoDayButToday

Silver

Post by NoDayButToday » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:45 pm

Last edited by NoDayButToday on Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RutherBaderLawnerd

New

Post by RutherBaderLawnerd » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:54 pm

NoDayButToday wrote:If your Feb. score is high 160s/low 170s, you have a shot at admission at most of those schools.

Otherwise, if it doesn't come back much higher, would suggest going somewhere T30s/T40s/T50s on a good scholarship in a region where you want to practice, at a school that you would be happy graduating from. Crush 1L year and transfer to T14/T20.

No one ever recommends that course because it's hard to know how you'll do 1L, but high risk, high reward.
That's my plan! Regardless of whether my score comes back higher I'm going to apply to these schools anyways, because you never know. But I do have some regional schools in mind that I wouldn't mind attending for the next few years. So we'll see.

RutherBaderLawnerd

New

Post by RutherBaderLawnerd » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:55 pm

NoDayButToday wrote:If your Feb. score is high 160s/low 170s, you have a shot at admission at most of those schools.

Otherwise, if it doesn't come back much higher, would suggest going somewhere T30s/T40s/T50s on a good scholarship in a region where you want to practice, at a school that you would be happy graduating from. Crush 1L year and transfer to T14/T20.

No one ever recommends that course because it's hard to know how you'll do 1L, but high risk, high reward.
That's my plan! Regardless of whether my score comes back higher I'm going to apply to these schools anyways, because you never know. But I do have some regional schools in mind and I'm thinking about just transferring but I also wouldn't mind attending these schools for the next few years. So we'll see.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”