Too late to apply? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
kevhern

New

Too late to apply?

Post by kevhern » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:33 pm

Hello all, I was planning on applying for fall of 2011, but certain factors have changed and I would be able to apply for Fall of 2010. I have a few ?'s and would appreciate any insite. First, do law schools look down on multiple applications in subsequent years? Basically, If I were to apply now before the deadline for some schools and not get in, would it have a adverse affect on applying in october of this year for 2011?

2nd any insight on what you think my chances are on the following schools if I apply now for 2010?

Chapman
Southwestern
Cal Western
Thomas Jefferson
USD, part-time program
Loyolla Los Angeles part-time
South Western part-time

2.75 GPA, 156 Lsat, non-traditonal applicant( left school {UCSB} in 2004, 3 classes short of graduating went back in summer of 2008 and completed summer session w/ 3.6 gpa from uci) granted my degree winter of 2010 becauuse of waiting for grade change from professor that was no longer in the country)

, multiple alcohol related offenses in undergrad (2xminor in posession, drunk in public, DUI) 6 1/2 years since last offense

battery charge because of a bar fight, reduced to disturbing the peace, 3 1/2 years since this offense, and am using it as a driving force for me wanting to become an attorney

Thanks in Advance

steven3579

New

Re: Too late to apply?

Post by steven3579 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:43 pm

Apply fall 2011 the day the apps come out. Maybe ED at your favorite school.

pertristis

Bronze

Post by pertristis » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:46 pm

kevhern wrote:Hello all, I was planning on applying for fall of 2011, but certain factors have changed and I would be able to apply for Fall of 2010. I have a few ?'s and would appreciate any insite. First, do law schools look down on multiple applications in subsequent years? Basically, If I were to apply now before the deadline for some schools and not get in, would it have a adverse affect on applying in october of this year for 2011?

2nd any insight on what you think my chances are on the following schools if I apply now for 2010?

Chapman
Southwestern
Cal Western
Thomas Jefferson
USD, part-time program
South Western part-time

2.75 GPA, 156 Lsat, non-traditonal applicant( left school {UCSB} in 2004, 3 classes short of graduating went back in summer of 2008 and completed summer session w/ 3.6 gpa from uci) granted my degree winter of 2010 becauuse of waiting for grade change from professor that was no longer in the country)

, multiple alcohol related offenses in undergrad (2xminor in posession, drunk in public, DUI) 6 1/2 years since last offense

battery charge because of a bar fight, reduced to disturbing the peace, 3 1/2 years since this offense, and am using it as a driving force for me wanting to become an attorney

Thanks in Advance
In general, my understanding is that if a school straight rejects you in Cycle X, one better have improved one's application for Cycle X+1.

Honestly, the best thing you can do is hold off on applying right now, studying the hell out of the LSAT and getting above a 160, and applying as early as possible next cycle. With your current numbers, LSP has you deny or weak consider at almost all the schools you've listed. If you manage to raise your score and apply early next cycle, you can improve some of the schools to strong considers or admits.

kevhern

New

Post by kevhern » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:32 pm

pertristis wrote:
kevhern wrote:Hello all, I was planning on applying for fall of 2011, but certain factors have changed and I would be able to apply for Fall of 2010. I have a few ?'s and would appreciate any insite. First, do law schools look down on multiple applications in subsequent years? Basically, If I were to apply now before the deadline for some schools and not get in, would it have a adverse affect on applying in october of this year for 2011?

Chapman
Southwestern
Cal Western
Thomas Jefferson
USD, part-time program
South Western part-time

Thanks in Advance
In general, my understanding is that if a school straight rejects you in Cycle X, one better have improved one's application for Cycle X+1.

Honestly, the best thing you can do is hold off on applying right now, studying the hell out of the LSAT and getting above a 160, and applying as early as possible next cycle. With your current numbers, LSP has you deny or weak consider at almost all the schools you've listed. If you manage to raise your score and apply early next cycle, you can improve some of the schools to strong considers or admits.
Thanks, I pretty much called all the schools and was told that my application would need to show some change if I was not admited the first time around, but other than that there would be no negative affect. Also they said If I didn't get in I could speak with a admissions counseler and get some advice on what to do the next time around.

I really don't know I'f I would make much more improvement on the LSAT. My base score was 141,took testmasters and studied for 6 months 25-30 hours a week was scoring 158-160 on the practice test and ended with the 156, my 2-4 point drop is no surprise given my history with standardized tests (nerves on test day). However, I think I do have one hell of a personal statement, grades addendum, criminal addendum. which im putting the finishing touches on and which does show alot of personal growth. Lastly, I do have 5-6years of work experience, summer internship, community service etc. im my profile.

You still think I should wait to apply?

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:39 pm

I think one thing that this board has resolved is that WE almost never makes up for a weak LSAT, so scratch that off. If you're on the margins between decision alternatives at a school (admit, WL, deny), maybe it helps, but don't count on it to make up for low numbers. Also, a grades addendum won't do much for you; it would matter more if you were a high-LSAT/low-GPA splitter, IMO.

I agree that your best deal is to get your LSAT up. I think that'll pretty much be ballgame for you.

pertristis

Bronze

Post by pertristis » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:10 pm

Absolutely. Even if you don't raise your LSAT at all, applying at the beginning of the cycle is almost ALWAYS better than applying at the very tail end of the cycle. At the beginning of the cycle, AdComs can make decisions more based on how much they like a candidate rather than how the candidate will improve their numbers. (I know this first hand—I'm a late applicant.)

I'm not familiar with Testmasters, but I still think that an LSAT course could be hugely beneficial.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”