3.38 / 152 what are my chances @........ Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Grizz

Diamond

Re: 3.38 / 152 what are my chances @........

Post by Grizz » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:52 am

bomedtheLSAT101 wrote:major lawl @ the ramen comment. But, if I get into UF/FSU/FIU and end up of course with a crap job at least I would have a job and not be in debt. I have enough to pay for tuition w/ little to no debt right now. But yea you guys are all right I probably won't be able to work in the field I want or at the job/city I want. = /
Avoid FIU like ebola. In FL, as I said before, UF and FSU grads are feeling the economic burn. You seem like you want to stay in FL, in which case, due to the regional aspect of law, Detroit, Pace, and Penn St. aren't cutting it.

If you're really serious about practicing law in FL, retake the LSAT, studying for it until your eyes bleed and you want to blow your brains out. See if you can raise your score enough to get you a decent shot at UF, FSU, or Miami, but preferably UF. Then excel at these schools.

If you're not up for this, start nursing right away making straight profit.

edit: maybe consider Stetson if you plan on grading onto law review.

bomedtheLSAT101

Bronze

Post by bomedtheLSAT101 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:56 am

"If you're really serious about practicing law in FL, retake the LSAT, studying for it until your eyes bleed and you want to blow your brains out." <-- LOL, sounds like an offer I can not refuse.

bomedtheLSAT101

Bronze

Post by bomedtheLSAT101 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:56 am

What are the general requirements to get onto a law review anyways? anyone know?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:57 am

bomedtheLSAT101 wrote:What are the general requirements to get onto a law review anyways? anyone know?
Typically something like finish in the top 5% of your class at the end of your first year.

bomedtheLSAT101

Bronze

Post by bomedtheLSAT101 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:20 am

Looking@ FIU law .. their dean is pretty impressive stuff.. chk it out --LinkRemoved--

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:43 pm

hans3n wrote:
So what field of law, in your opinion, has the most potential in the coming years? and if I some how get into UF i should definitely go right?
I think energy law is gonna get even bigger. Might want to look into that, and what schools you can get into that specialize in that field/have programs related to that field.
+1. Exactly what I'm doing. I'm looking for a dual degree in Environmental Law and Policy, or in Environmental Management. Then searching for government work probably.

If I can inch my offer at Vermont higher, or get into L&C, that's probably where I'll end up. I'd love to end up at Georgetown via transfers though, I've heard good things about their program.

bomedtheLSAT101

Bronze

Post by bomedtheLSAT101 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:00 pm

are there any other schools with those programs?

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:29 pm

hans3n wrote:By energy law schools I mean programs that are strong in things relating to the use of energy, which will be a huge market/field in the future (think "green" revolution). Energy as it relates to technology and the environmental aspects of it. I should have phrased it better. Its hard to find info on schools for a specific field, so I would start by looking at Intellectual Property programs and environmental law programs. Thats just me though.

Yes, IP law is big and ever-growing. Environmental law is also big but doesn't currently pay well, although urban law (usually lumped in with environmental) pays better and is also growing rapidly. Pay for both will be increasing in coming years as the fields become more important to major corporations (and pay #s for environmental law in particular tend to be dragged down by those working on animal rights law or preservation law or similar fields saturated with hippies, which are not growing).

With your numbers, Pace Law School in the NYC suburbs has the best environmental law program you could get into; their program is quite strong for their ranking, although otherwise the school is wholly unremarkable and a waste of money for anyone not interested in environmental law. If you retake the LSAT and improve substantially, Univ. of Vermont and Lewis & Clark (in Portland, OR) are the best schools mainly devoted to environmental law. Below those two and Pace, there are really no enviro-focused schools worth going to; all other environmental law jobs go to graduates from T50 schools.

hans3n

Bronze

Post by hans3n » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:40 pm

According to US NEWS(so take it with a grain of salt), these are the rankings of the top environmental law programs
Bolded are the schools that are possible for your score and GPA. Some of bolded ones, and non-bolded ones, offer part time programs that you might want to look into.

1 Vermont Law School- South Royalton, VT
2 Lewis & Clark College (Northwestern) Portland, OR
3 Pace University- White Plains, NY
4 Georgetown University- Washington, DC
5 University of California--Berkeley, CA
6 University of Colorado--Boulder, CO
University of Maryland- Baltimore, MD
8 Duke University - Durham, NC
9 New York University- New York, NY
10 University of Oregon- Eugene, OR
11 Florida State University- Tallahassee, FL
Stanford University- Stanford, CA
Tulane University- New Orleans, LA
14 University of Florida (Levin)- Gainesville, FL
15 University of Denver (Sturm)- Denver, CO
16 George Washington University- Washington, DC
University of California--Los Angeles, CA
18 Harvard University- Cambridge, MA
University of Arizona (Rogers)- Tucson, AZ
University of Utah (Quinney)- Salt Lake City, UT
Yale University- New Haven, CT
Last edited by hans3n on Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hans3n

Bronze

Post by hans3n » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:44 pm

Here are the US NEWS rankings for Intellectual Property. I didnt bold these, but any name you dont recognize is probably more suited to your stats.

1 Stanford University-Stanford, CA
2 University of California--Berkeley, CA
3 George Washington University- Washington, DC
4 Columbia University- New York, NY
Illinois Institute of Technology (Chicago-Kent)- Chicago, IL
6 Franklin Pierce Law Center- Concord, NH
7 University of Houston- Houston, TX
8 Santa Clara University- Santa Clara, CA
Yeshiva University (Cardozo)- New York, NY
10 Duke University- Durham, NC
11 Boston University- Boston, MA
12 Harvard University- Cambridge, MA
13 DePaul University- Chicago, IL
14 American University (Washington)- Washington, DC
John Marshall Law School- Chicago, IL
16 New York University- New York, NY
University of Michigan--Ann Arbor, MI
18 Fordham University- New York, NY
University of Washington- Seattle, WA
20 University of Texas--Austin- Austin, TX
21 Drake University- Des Moines, IA
Georgetown University- Washington, DC
University of California--Los Angeles, CA
24 Yale University- New Haven, CT

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:50 pm

For the record, those rankings are worthless. Any Yale graduate will do miles and miles better than any UVM graduate in the environmental law job market (barring some serious problem with the Yalie, anyway). For environmental law job prospects, basically (and very vaguely):

T14, more or less in the standard order (Georgetown and NYU a little higher than usual, though)
UVM, L&C
Rest of the T30 or so
Pace
Rest of the T50 or so
Everyone else (unemployed/working for beans unless from a regional school like UOregon, although UOregon grads get passed over for L&C grads)

I'm not so familiar with IP law, but I would assume similar applies.

hans3n

Bronze

Post by hans3n » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:54 pm

BenJ wrote:For the record, those rankings are worthless.

Thats why I said,
According to US NEWS(so take it with a grain of salt)
I am curious as to how those rankings relate to each schools respective surrounding area job market/prospects. I imagine its fairly decent, but you would have to want to stay in that area, and wouldn't be able to go far initially.

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:09 pm

hans3n wrote:
BenJ wrote:For the record, those rankings are worthless.
Thats why I said,
According to US NEWS(so take it with a grain of salt)

I know. I just wanted to make it abundantly clear to OP that graduating from UVM does not automatically mean placement into the best environmental law jobs. "Take with a grain of salt" understates the case.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:10 pm

BenJ wrote:For the record, those rankings are worthless. Any Yale graduate will do miles and miles better than any UVM graduate in the environmental law job market (barring some serious problem with the Yalie, anyway).
If you're looking to do biglaw or some type of high paying gig, then yeah. There was a post in another thread from someone with some experience which basically amounted to, if you're serious about environmental law, then experience and a strong commitment to environmental law will bode well for you (ie L&C and VM). "Yalies" who don't show any strong commitment may be looked at as just trying to land a job, and not in it for the long haul. Following the alumni networks for either would be a good idea.

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:16 pm

beach_terror wrote:
BenJ wrote:For the record, those rankings are worthless. Any Yale graduate will do miles and miles better than any UVM graduate in the environmental law job market (barring some serious problem with the Yalie, anyway).
If you're looking to do biglaw or some type of high paying gig, then yeah. There was a post in another thread from someone with some experience which basically amounted to, if you're serious about environmental law, then experience and a strong commitment to environmental law will bode well for you (ie L&C and VM). "Yalies" who don't show any strong commitment may be looked at as just trying to land a job, and not in it for the long haul. Following the alumni networks for either would be a good idea.
Well, true, but I was assuming someone who actually focused on environmental law in law school. I suppose I should have said that. Obviously someone with their credentials mainly in family law would be passed over unless they had something great going for them.

bomedtheLSAT101

Bronze

Post by bomedtheLSAT101 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:36 pm

that's cool, thanks guys lots of info to digest.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:32 pm

BenJ wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
BenJ wrote:
Well, true, but I was assuming someone who actually focused on environmental law in law school. I suppose I should have said that. Obviously someone with their credentials mainly in family law would be passed over unless they had something great going for them.
Yeah, just wanted to be clear for the OP. One of the reasons Vermont is attracting me is because of their joint MEM with Yale, where you get that degree from Yale.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:47 pm

I noticed that you didn't apply to Florida State. Honestly, I would think twice about going to law school this year if you don't get into UF or UMiami. Even if you can boost your score 5-7 points, it will give you a huge advantage at the Florida schools.

MU2009

New

Post by MU2009 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:27 am

chadwick218 wrote:I noticed that you didn't apply to Florida State. Honestly, I would think twice about going to law school this year if you don't get into UF or UMiami. Even if you can boost your score 5-7 points, it will give you a huge advantage at the Florida schools.
UMiami is greatly overpriced.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:19 am

MU2009 wrote: UMiami is greatly overpriced.
So true. If you can get into UF for less, don't go. Seriously.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:46 pm

OP - listen to vanwinkle

Last bumped by bomedtheLSAT101 on Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:46 pm.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”