When a law preview day invite says guests are welcome... Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
kellohitty

Bronze

When a law preview day invite says guests are welcome...

Post by kellohitty » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:33 pm

When a law preview day invite says that you and your guests are invited, who are deemed as socially acceptable guests? I normally thought Law Preview days were for students only.

t-14orbust

Gold

Re: When a law preview day invite says guests are welcome...

Post by t-14orbust » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:34 pm

SOs, parents etc(your friend that was down for free booze)

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:45 pm

Most people either bring their parents or a friend who wants free alcohol and/or the chance to hit on some 0L women.

kellohitty

Bronze

Post by kellohitty » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:25 pm

Good to know. I just thought bringing parents were generally frowned upon.

muskies970

Bronze

Post by muskies970 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:36 pm

kellohitty wrote:Good to know. I just thought bringing parents were generally frowned upon.
I went on 4 ASW's last year, two with parents two without. They definitely had a different feel, I can explain more if you want my opinion on which is better, but either way should be fine.

However, if a school is offering an overnight stay with current students or with incoming 0L's I would choose that option and go solo, because I think it allows for a more social time, chance to meet people more, and get to have a better idea for the school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Quest4Knowledge

Bronze

Post by Quest4Knowledge » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:23 pm

muskies970 wrote:
kellohitty wrote:Good to know. I just thought bringing parents were generally frowned upon.
I went on 4 ASW's last year, two with parents two without. They definitely had a different feel, I can explain more if you want my opinion on which is better, but either way should be fine.

However, if a school is offering an overnight stay with current students or with incoming 0L's I would choose that option and go solo, because I think it allows for a more social time, chance to meet people more, and get to have a better idea for the school.
Would you be able to explain a little more? I'm curious as to how the experiences would differ.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:25 pm

bringing parents is acceptable

but its really not a good look

Dingo Starr

Bronze

Post by Dingo Starr » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:02 am

I met a fellow TLS user who brought his grandpa but wouldn't tell me his user name.
PS your grandpa is waaaay more rad than you.

TigerDude

Bronze

Post by TigerDude » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:54 pm

shake off the haters. Live your own life.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:34 pm

Nova wrote:
bringing parents is acceptable

but its really not a good look
Agree with this. Technically acceptable but no upside that I can see. You will be judged/mocked, that's just the reality of the situation. But YOLO, just do you.

calle_25

Bronze

Post by calle_25 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:43 pm

I went to an admitted students event and a few people brought SOs. They all seemed pretty cool and interacted well with everyone. There was a girl there with a parent, and though I don't think anyone frowned upon it (I certainly didn't), I could tell she was super uncomfortable. She was the only one accompanied by a parent. FWIW.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:53 pm

Is bringing parents generally a K-JD thing? As a nontrad, it didn't even occur to me that people might do this until I read about it on TLS. Like, it would wildly inconvenience all parties if I had to coordinate some shit with the folks!

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:56 pm

Don't bring your parents to admit days. Cut the cord.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:25 pm

cron1834 wrote:Is bringing parents generally a K-JD thing? As a nontrad, it didn't even occur to me that people might do this until I read about it on TLS. Like, it would wildly inconvenience all parties if I had to coordinate some shit with the folks!
I presume it is? I'm way way non-trad and it didn't occur to me either. (I kept going to ASWs, trying to talk to the people closer to my age, and finding out they were parents. :? ) I mean, if it makes you happy, go for it, but I admit I'll judge you for it. (Not that there's any reason you should care about what I think!)

I agree that the SOs who attended were all pretty chill - they were generally facing moving to wherever it was for the the SO to go to school, so I can see why they'd want to attend. And they usually just came to social things like receptions - I don't think I saw any of them sitting in on class/tours, which parents usually did.

BankruptMe

Silver

Post by BankruptMe » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:42 pm

If I was going T14...i would consider bringing them so they can see how far i have come.

As a fellow 0L...If you are over 25 and bring parents I would judge.

Lawst

Silver

Post by Lawst » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:45 pm

I went to a few admit days where kids brought parents and the parents asked stupid, stupid questions all day. If you bring your parents, kindly tell them to STFU.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:35 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
cron1834 wrote:Is bringing parents generally a K-JD thing? As a nontrad, it didn't even occur to me that people might do this until I read about it on TLS. Like, it would wildly inconvenience all parties if I had to coordinate some shit with the folks!
I presume it is? I'm way way non-trad and it didn't occur to me either. (I kept going to ASWs, trying to talk to the people closer to my age, and finding out they were parents. :? ) I mean, if it makes you happy, go for it, but I admit I'll judge you for it. (Not that there's any reason you should care about what I think!)

I agree that the SOs who attended were all pretty chill - they were generally facing moving to wherever it was for the the SO to go to school, so I can see why they'd want to attend. And they usually just came to social things like receptions - I don't think I saw any of them sitting in on class/tours, which parents usually did.
:lol:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

CookieDough

Bronze

Post by CookieDough » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:40 am

I'm planning on bringing my husband to a few out of state ASWs. As was mentioned, I'm basically asking him to move across country potentially, so he needs to check the cities out. I was only planning on bringing him to the reception type stuff though. Glad this seems acceptable-I was a little worried I'd be the only one who brought someone!

potterdam

New

Post by potterdam » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:10 am

K-JD - I've seen this everywhere but can't find out what it means, what does it stand for?

Brettanomyces

Bronze

Post by Brettanomyces » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:21 am

potterdam wrote:
K-JD - I've seen this everywhere but can't find out what it means, what does it stand for?
Kindergarten to JD.

No break in between.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:34 am

CookieDough wrote:I'm planning on bringing my husband to a few out of state ASWs. As was mentioned, I'm basically asking him to move across country potentially, so he needs to check the cities out. I was only planning on bringing him to the reception type stuff though. Glad this seems acceptable-I was a little worried I'd be the only one who brought someone!
Checking out the city seems perfectly legit. What I don't understand is why (according to TLS reports) some people are bringing SOs into classrooms, on tours, etc. Um, they're not going to the school? What do they care what Professor Preftige's contracts class is like? Does not compute.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:09 pm

cron1834 wrote:
CookieDough wrote:I'm planning on bringing my husband to a few out of state ASWs. As was mentioned, I'm basically asking him to move across country potentially, so he needs to check the cities out. I was only planning on bringing him to the reception type stuff though. Glad this seems acceptable-I was a little worried I'd be the only one who brought someone!
Checking out the city seems perfectly legit. What I don't understand is why (according to TLS reports) some people are bringing SOs into classrooms, on tours, etc. Um, they're not going to the school? What do they care what Professor Preftige's contracts class is like? Does not compute.
My SO will be coming with me for visits. I'm not sure if she'll want to sit in on classes and tours, but I would like it if she did. She knows me well, and I trust her opinion in helping me figure out where would be a good fit for me. And when it comes time to talk about where we're going to move to, it will help if she has an idea of what I like and don't like about the schools, just like it will help if I have an idea what she does and doesn't like about the cities.

Communication, bro.

CookieDough

Bronze

Post by CookieDough » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:36 pm

midwest17 wrote:
cron1834 wrote:
My SO will be coming with me for visits. I'm not sure if she'll want to sit in on classes and tours, but I would like it if she did. She knows me well, and I trust her opinion in helping me figure out where would be a good fit for me. And when it comes time to talk about where we're going to move to, it will help if she has an idea of what I like and don't like about the schools, just like it will help if I have an idea what she does and doesn't like about the cities.

Communication, bro.
I also think this is an age/seriousness of the relationship/distance from current home issue. I would not have asked a semi serious boyfriend in college for a ton of input about a school in our city. But 6/7 years out of UG, married and thinking about places like Vanderbilt coming from So Cal? He's going to get a lot of input on that decision. The more info he has to make it the better so we can make the best decision for us.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:56 pm

midwest17 wrote:
cron1834 wrote:

Communication, bro.
I'm not going to belabor this, so this is my final thought - but, if your SO isn't an attorney or law student, why on earth should their "communication" and "likes/dislikes" have a thing to do with what campus and classroom YOU spend your time in? She won't be attending. If you buy a car, presumably she'll get to drive it. If you get a house, presumably she'll live in it. But she's not going to class with you dude! Do you go on job interviews with her, too?

Again, the city of residence thing is legit, I concede that. No dispute there.

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:12 pm

cron1834 wrote:
midwest17 wrote:
cron1834 wrote:

Communication, bro.
I'm not going to belabor this, so this is my final thought - but, if your SO isn't an attorney or law student, why on earth should their "communication" and "likes/dislikes" have a thing to do with what campus and classroom YOU spend your time in? She won't be attending. If you buy a car, presumably she'll get to drive it. If you get a house, presumably she'll live in it. But she's not going to class with you dude! Do you go on job interviews with her, too?

Again, the city of residence thing is legit, I concede that. No dispute there.
This is basically non-responsive to everything I said. Let me try this in a simpler way:

1. I trust her opinion about environments and how they will work for me. Visits are a relatively short amount of time to learn about a school's culture, and perceptions can be colored by all sorts of things. A second opinion from someone who knows you well is helpful.

2. The final decision will probably end up being a balancing of various interests. We're not just going to rank our preferences and then apply some algorithm. Communication is easier the more shared information there is. Her being at the visit and actually seeing the culture is more effective than me trying to describe and convey why a certain school's culture would be a good fit.

Your job interview analogy is bad. I hope you didn't mean it as a serious comparison.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”