Bring a parent to law school visit? Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
tuc00318

New

Bring a parent to law school visit?

Post by tuc00318 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:41 pm

Hey All,

I'm planning on visiting in the next few weeks because I won't be able to make ASDs. Is it okay to bring a parent with me to a regular law school visit? I've already gone to an ASD by myself, so being alone/independent isn't an issue. I do want my parent to come on a regular tour with me though. The visit will involve a class sit-in and a tour. If anyone has gone on a regular visit solo, with a parent, or if you're a current law student at either school, any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Last edited by tuc00318 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Davidbentley

Bronze

Re: Bring a parent to law school visit? (Esp. IUB/northeastern)

Post by Davidbentley » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:55 pm

Bringing a parent to a school visit is like bringing a glove to a baseball game. You can do it if you're over 12, but you should expect to be judged for it.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:00 pm

Davidbentley wrote:Bringing a parent to a school visit is like bringing a glove to a baseball game. You can do it if you're over 12, but you should expect to be judged for it.
Awesome analogy.

I always recommend against bringing parents. This topic has been discussed ad nauseam so I can already hear what the other side will say ("People who judge people for bringing their parents are jerks!" and "I trust my mom with everything, why wouldn't I bring her?"). But you're an adult, and you should be able to attend a school and decide on it without your parents being physically present. People absolutely will judge you for it because its time to cut the cord. Are you going to bring your mom and dad to callbacks to have them help you pick a firm?

If they do come, tell them to keep their mouths shut. Nothing is worse than a parent asking a bunch of questions like they're at third grade parent teacher conferences.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:01 pm

Davidbentley wrote:Bringing a parent to a school visit is like bringing a glove to a baseball game. You can do it if you're over 12, but you should expect to be judged for it.
Nicely put. I totally agree.

(Although I'd argue that an independent visit, rather than ASD where you're going to meet potential future classmates, isn't quite as bad, though still judge-worthy. Only possible exception is if the parent's going to be paying for everything - I suppose they have a right to see what their money's buying.)

curious66

Bronze

Post by curious66 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:03 pm

tuc00318 wrote:Hey All,

I'm planning on visiting Indiana Bloomington and Northeastern in the next few weeks because I won't be able to make their ASDs. Is it okay to bring a parent with me to a regular law school visit? I've already gone to an ASD by myself, so being alone/independent isn't an issue. I do want my parent to come on a regular tour with me though. The visit will involve a class sit-in and a tour. If anyone has gone on a regular visit solo, with a parent, or if you're a current law student at either school, any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
I think it is fine to bring a parent. However, I would do the class sit in visit alone and do the tour with the parent.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

leapincamelleopard

New

Post by leapincamelleopard » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:07 pm

Its not ASD, bringing a parent is fine.

mephistopheles

Gold

Post by mephistopheles » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:29 pm

what would be the point?

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:05 pm

What's the benefit of bringing a parent? It's important to spent time alone with yourself, because you'll have to live with yourself for the rest of your life.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:07 pm

cinephile wrote:What's the benefit of bringing a parent? It's important to spent time alone with yourself, because you'll have to live with yourself for the rest of your life.
Forever alone :(

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:16 pm

Do what you want. But do expect people to judge you accordingly

Davidbentley

Bronze

Post by Davidbentley » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:17 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
cinephile wrote:What's the benefit of bringing a parent? It's important to spent time alone with yourself, because you'll have to live with yourself for the rest of your life.
Forever alone :(
"The lord is our final comfort, but it's a solace having friends." - Rev. Smith.
--ImageRemoved--

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:22 pm

This is the best analogy I have read.

The only reason I can understand as to why a parent would come along would be if said parent is paying the entire tuition and living expenses. And even then I would try and avoid it. I give tours at my school, and the few times a parent has come it has been kind of awkward.

xjustyoursmile

Bronze

Post by xjustyoursmile » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:06 am

My parents are paying for everything and they want to check out the school I've chosen to attend. I don't think I'll be bringing them to the actual ASD events but I'll probably tour them around myself after attending the actual tour. I don't see the problem with it, especially since I'd like the company and we'll be exploring the area around the school together afterwards. I'd also like to feel like I brought a little bit of home with me to where I'll be for the next three years before I move all the way across the country.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:33 am

xjustyoursmile wrote:My parents are paying for everything and they want to check out the school I've chosen to attend. I don't think I'll be bringing them to the actual ASD events but I'll probably tour them around myself after attending the actual tour. I don't see the problem with it, especially since I'd like the company and we'll be exploring the area around the school together afterwards. I'd also like to feel like I brought a little bit of home with me to where I'll be for the next three years before I move all the way across the country.
LOL at your helicopter parents.

xjustyoursmile

Bronze

Post by xjustyoursmile » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:44 am

Desert Fox wrote:
xjustyoursmile wrote:My parents are paying for everything and they want to check out the school I've chosen to attend. I don't think I'll be bringing them to the actual ASD events but I'll probably tour them around myself after attending the actual tour. I don't see the problem with it, especially since I'd like the company and we'll be exploring the area around the school together afterwards. I'd also like to feel like I brought a little bit of home with me to where I'll be for the next three years before I move all the way across the country.
Yeah, a parent's interest in their child's life is always hilarious. :roll:

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:56 am

xjustyoursmile wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
You aren't a child any more lil breh, you are an adult.

eav1277

Bronze

Post by eav1277 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:58 am

I plan on bringing mine to one ASW. Haven't seen them in a bit and they are driving me up (saving gas :) But I'm having them stay at the hotel, explore the school on their own, do whatever parents do.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

xjustyoursmile

Bronze

Post by xjustyoursmile » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:00 am

Desert Fox wrote:
xjustyoursmile wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
And I'm making the adult decision to invite my parents to go see the school with me. -shrug-
If you think that makes me childish so be it.

I'm gonna go watch Spongebob now, bai. 8)
eav1277 wrote:I plan on bringing mine to one ASW. Haven't seen them in a bit and they are driving me up (saving gas :) But I'm having them stay at the hotel, explore the school on their own, do whatever parents do.
Basically my same plan.

eav1277

Bronze

Post by eav1277 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:01 am

xjustyoursmile wrote:
xjustyoursmile wrote:][quote="xjustyoursmile"
eav1277 wrote:I plan on bringing mine to one ASW. Haven't seen them in a bit and they are driving me up (saving gas :) But I'm having them stay at the hotel, explore the school on their own, do whatever parents do.
Basically my same plan.
I like your plan. lol

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:06 am

Desert Fox wrote:
xjustyoursmile wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Yeah, but what if your parents going with you means that they'll also be picking up the travel costs? I don't think any potential embarrassment or judgment would be worth a few hundred dollars.

Davidbentley

Bronze

Post by Davidbentley » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:16 am

"Well, the world needs ditch diggers, too."

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:18 am

Davidbentley wrote:"Well, the world needs ditch diggers, too."
Hey, dude, Northeastern's not that bad.

mephistopheles

Gold

Post by mephistopheles » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:16 am

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
Davidbentley wrote:"Well, the world needs ditch diggers, too."
Hey, dude, Northeastern's not that bad.

:?:

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:03 am

I think this is perfectly normal and reasonable. Its just the having your parents tag along to an ASW or a visit that I find a little bizarre.

Another option is most schools have family weekends. Mine came 1L year and I think they enjoyed it.

tuc00318

New

Post by tuc00318 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:39 pm

I definitely agree with many of you about going alone to ASDs (except Maryland-more parents than anything and i felt weird being alone), but what about bringing a quiet parent to a just a law school tour (no class sit-ins). thoughts? I asked an admissions office person who was helping me set up my tour and they said that that's fine and they get all sorts of people with students on tours. he said it was really normal?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”