UC Hastings c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
NewUser_2017

New

Re: UC Hastings c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Post by NewUser_2017 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:04 pm

Gryzzle wrote:Decided on Hastings over local school USD (among other more prestigious options out of state) because I hate LA and wanted to be in either SD or SF. Anyone else have similar struggles when deciding between Hastings and other competitors? A little apprehensive to dive into Hastings with their terrible employment numbers/bar passage rate/financial aid/resident tuition and the rest of it. I know I'm somewhat looking for some self reassurance here but I'm curious if any of my fellow classmates went through similar conflicts about attending Hastings or if any Hastings grads/current students could shed some light on the rankings and other struggles the school is having. Thanks!
Why do you hate LA?

Bronze

Re: UC Hastings c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Post by 265489164158 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:57 am

Gryzzle wrote:Decided on Hastings over local school USD (among other more prestigious options out of state) because I hate LA and wanted to be in either SD or SF. Anyone else have similar struggles when deciding between Hastings and other competitors? A little apprehensive to dive into Hastings with their terrible employment numbers/bar passage rate/financial aid/resident tuition and the rest of it. I know I'm somewhat looking for some self reassurance here but I'm curious if any of my fellow classmates went through similar conflicts about attending Hastings or if any Hastings grads/current students could shed some light on the rankings and other struggles the school is having. Thanks!
As a rising 2L, I promise you that Hastings is still quite well-respected and Hastings students have a reputation for being a bit scrappy, which a lot of employers like (but, yes, when you are competing for jobs with Stanford and Berkeley people, it is tough). Most of my professors were outstanding and I was also really impressed by the caliber of my fellow classmates. People work hard and are very engaged. Hastings has a great alumni network and the proximity to so many courts is amazing. The experience will be what you make of it.

As for resident tuition, I think it is on par with other UC law schools. If you perform well first year (top 15%, I think), you can expect an automatic scholarship bump. With that being said, I would say that median students at Hastings may have trouble getting jobs in the bay area. However, I think if you are willing to move your search radius outward or look elsewhere, it is better. My joke to my partner all 1L year was, "I hear Fresno/Redding/Bakersfield are nice." Translation: you take the job you can, work hard, and hope to find a way back. The upside is COL is cheaper all of those places, so it might make those student loans more manageable.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”