WASHINGTON AND LEE ( W&L) School of Law c/o 2020 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
toplaw01

New

Re: WASHINGTON AND LEE ( W&L) School of Law c/o 2020 Applicants

Post by toplaw01 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:33 pm

chicagoburger wrote:
BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) wrote:Congrats everyone on the big jump!! Almost certain that won't help our negotiations though!
I withdrew a few days ago..FML
Ask them for the reconsideration and forgiveness lol 8) 8)

Charlie802

Bronze

Post by Charlie802 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:11 pm

FunandFriendship wrote:W&L way up in the 2018 US News Rankings. +12 to 28th nationally

http://blog.spiveyconsulting.com/2017-u ... re-here-2/
Whoa. This definitely makes W&L way more competitive on my list.

jcburns

New

Post by jcburns » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:47 pm

toplaw01 wrote:
WamBamThankYouMaam wrote:
LawBuckeye12 wrote:
ap23 wrote:Anybody know what's going on with W&L's numbers this year? They're giving out a ton of money on LSN, way more than usual, and the FB for admitted students has 190 people in it already. They only matriculated 100-120 the past 4 years or so. Wondering if they're expecting a drop in rankings?
Was wondering the same thing with the class size. I know the FB group has some people that are already students and some students undecided but it seems like they are gonna get more than 120 (which is a shame). Wouldn't expect a drop in the rankings because their jobs numbers really picked up although their median LSAT is low compared to schools around them in rank.
I wouldn't assume that all 190 people in the accepted students page will eventually attend. According to their 509 they accepted 895 students last year and 117 enrolled. The class size might be a little higher because of the increased aid amounts, but I think W&L is really trying to raise their medians to get back to their mid-20's ranking. After their rank dropped 17 spots in 2013, W&L fired the dean and began to focus on job placement to improve their rank. Now, they're probably also trying to raise medians, by giving out a lot of merit aid, to increase their rank more.
I think it's their strategy to improve the ranking. Their employment outcome was pretty decent last year and their employment is the same or better this year . I think they aim to improve their LSAT and GPA next year in purpose of moving up in the ranking!
Considering all of this, I'm surprised that they are still sending email invitations to apply. I received one last night. It's probably a hail mary but I figured it was worth a shot. I applied last night.

WamBamThankYouMaam

Bronze

Post by WamBamThankYouMaam » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:19 pm

jcburns wrote:
toplaw01 wrote:
LawBuckeye12 wrote:
ap23 wrote:Anybody know what's going on with W&L's numbers this year? They're giving out a ton of money on LSN, way more than usual, and the FB for admitted students has 190 people in it already. They only matriculated 100-120 the past 4 years or so. Wondering if they're expecting a drop in rankings?
Was wondering the same thing with the class size. I know the FB group has some people that are already students and some students undecided but it seems like they are gonna get more than 120 (which is a shame). Wouldn't expect a drop in the rankings because their jobs numbers really picked up although their median LSAT is low compared to schools around them in rank.
I wouldn't assume that all 190 people in the accepted students page will eventually attend. According to their 509 they accepted 895 students last year and 117 enrolled. The class size might be a little higher because of the increased aid amounts, but I think W&L is really trying to raise their medians to get back to their mid-20's ranking. After their rank dropped 17 spots in 2013, W&L fired the dean and began to focus on job placement to improve their rank. Now, they're probably also trying to raise medians, by giving out a lot of merit aid, to increase their rank more.
I think it's their strategy to improve the ranking. Their employment outcome was pretty decent last year and their employment is the same or better this year . I think they aim to improve their LSAT and GPA next year in purpose of moving up in the ranking!
Considering all of this, I'm surprised that they are still sending email invitations to apply. I received one last night. It's probably a hail mary but I figured it was worth a shot. I applied last night.
Well good luck! I know you've been waiting for a LONGGGG time for some decisions, W&L is pretty quick with decisions though. I was admitted about 3 weeks after submitting.

jcburns

New

Post by jcburns » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:26 pm

jcburns wrote:
toplaw01 wrote:
LawBuckeye12 wrote:
Well good luck! I know you've been waiting for a LONGGGG time for some decisions, W&L is pretty quick with decisions though. I was admitted about 3 weeks after submitting.
Congrats! Are you leaning toward going to W&L? Their invitation to apply promised a decision by the end of March, which surprised me. Given their numbers on their 509, I think I have a decent chance.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

shotgunheist

Bronze

Post by shotgunheist » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:49 pm

Got an unsolicited 20k bump yesterday :shock:

Charlie802

Bronze

Post by Charlie802 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:50 pm

shotgunheist wrote:Got an unsolicited 20k bump yesterday :shock:
Lucky! Can they give me one too while they're at it. . . Did they email it?

ryan.laine94

New

Post by ryan.laine94 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:53 pm

I got an unsolicited bump awhile back too, not quite as much but my overall scholarship is still very good! I got notification via email and then mail.

texas95

New

Post by texas95 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:54 pm

Just got a nice unsolicited bump as well. W&L is starting to look pretty attractive

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

amta

Platinum

Post by amta » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:55 pm

read this post, thought i should check my email, BAM there was an unsolicited increase.....

shotgunheist

Bronze

Post by shotgunheist » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:55 pm

amta wrote:
read this post, thought i should check my email, BAM there was an unsolicited increase.....
Increase in rankings, increase in scholly... increase in my heart

amta

Platinum

Post by amta » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:00 pm

shotgunheist wrote:
amta wrote:
imma just go ahead and withdraw at W & M.

vcap180

Bronze

Post by vcap180 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:06 pm

shotgunheist wrote:
amta wrote:

Yup. Strong week for W&L lol.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

toplaw01

New

Post by toplaw01 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:36 pm

It was such a nice bump ! Would you mind if sharing your stats?

toplaw01

New

Post by toplaw01 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:38 pm

jcburns wrote:
jcburns wrote:
toplaw01 wrote:
LawBuckeye12 wrote:
Congrats! Are you leaning toward going to W&L? Their invitation to apply promised a decision by the end of March, which surprised me. Given their numbers on their 509, I think I have a decent chance.
W&L is pretty quick to render the decision with a considerable scholarship. I think this year is for W&L !

jstans

Bronze

Post by jstans » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:44 pm

Just got my second unsolicited scholly bump for the cycle.

texas95

New

Post by texas95 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:45 pm

Anyone think that W&L will have more luck placing into biglaw in the next few years with this increase in rank? My scholarship here makes it an attractive option, but a less than 1/4 shot at biglaw/fed clerkship gives me pause.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

toplaw01

New

Post by toplaw01 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:49 pm

jstans wrote:Just got my second unsolicited scholly bump for the cycle.
It's good to hear you got the second unsolicited scholly bump ! Would you mind if telling me how long does it take to get the respond from them ?

WamBamThankYouMaam

Bronze

Post by WamBamThankYouMaam » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:52 pm

texas95 wrote:Anyone think that W&L will have more luck placing into biglaw in the next few years with this increase in rank? My scholarship here makes it an attractive option, but a less than 1/4 shot at biglaw/fed clerkship gives me pause.
It won't be the ranking alone that causes it, I think it will ultimately depend on the alumni (who seem to be very involved) and how hard the Office of Career Strategy works to get more OCI participants.

jstans

Bronze

Post by jstans » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:59 pm

toplaw01 wrote:
jstans wrote:Just got my second unsolicited scholly bump for the cycle.
It's good to hear you got the second unsolicited scholly bump ! Would you mind if telling me how long does it take to get the respond from them ?
I applied early and was accepted back in November. No communication with them for months, then received the first bump in early February. Second bump came tonight.

theorangewon

New

Post by theorangewon » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:21 am

I also received an unsolicited increase in my scholarship offer. I don't know how or why, because I had explained I was withdrawing applications elsewhere, but I'm not going to complain.

I was told by a current student that it is a cult but where everyone is nice and I guess maybe this is part of it?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

baseballfan660

Bronze

Post by baseballfan660 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:52 am

theorangewon wrote:I also received an unsolicited increase in my scholarship offer. I don't know how or why, because I had explained I was withdrawing applications elsewhere, but I'm not going to complain.

I was told by a current student that it is a cult but where everyone is nice and I guess maybe this is part of it?
lol did he/ she explain what they meant about it being a cult?

WamBamThankYouMaam

Bronze

Post by WamBamThankYouMaam » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:14 am

baseballfan660 wrote:
theorangewon wrote:I also received an unsolicited increase in my scholarship offer. I don't know how or why, because I had explained I was withdrawing applications elsewhere, but I'm not going to complain.

+1 also curious about what this person meant by cult lol

theorangewon

New

Post by theorangewon » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:36 am

baseballfan660 wrote:

This is someone who I have known for some time so our discussion was more candid than other students. It was stated in a joking manner, but the thrust was that everyone knows everyone, most people have a well-developed social circle with others in their class, and that they all speak very highly of the school. That's probably why it has A+ student and alumni rankings on above the law, why alumni showed up to the open house/ASW thing and why they're able to give out such generous scholarships.

Not to appear one sided, also take this into consideration from Above the Law on their reviews of the school from an Alumni

Even full tuition scholarships require taking on a significant debt burden when the school refuses to allow students to work, and if you hope to work outside of a 200 mile radius of Virginia, you’ll be completely on your own in trying to find a job. You’ll be looked at like a leper for talking about a cost-benefit analysis of going to law school and if you try to say the school is anything but perfect, you can expect the administration to blackball you from every level of involvement with the school officially, and often socially as well

While I think the student I was talking to meant it in a positive way, it would appear this former student believes the same thing but believes it to be a negative thing. Because none of us are students I'm not sure we will really know till we are there. Kind of like a cult. Haha

WamBamThankYouMaam

Bronze

Post by WamBamThankYouMaam » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:46 am

theorangewon wrote:
baseballfan660 wrote:

This is someone who I have known for some time so our discussion was more candid than other students. It was stated in a joking manner, but the thrust was that everyone knows everyone, most people have a well-developed social circle with others in their class, and that they all speak very highly of the school. That's probably why it has A+ student and alumni rankings on above the law, why alumni showed up to the open house/ASW thing and why they're able to give out such generous scholarships.

Not to appear one sided, also take this into consideration from Above the Law on their reviews of the school from an Alumni

Even full tuition scholarships require taking on a significant debt burden when the school refuses to allow students to work, and if you hope to work outside of a 200 mile radius of Virginia, you’ll be completely on your own in trying to find a job. You’ll be looked at like a leper for talking about a cost-benefit analysis of going to law school and if you try to say the school is anything but perfect, you can expect the administration to blackball you from every level of involvement with the school officially, and often socially as well

While I think the student I was talking to meant it in a positive way, it would appear this former student believes the same thing but believes it to be a negative thing. Because none of us are students I'm not sure we will really know till we are there. Kind of like a cult. Haha
Thanks for sharing, the first undergrad school I went to (transferred to be closer to friends/family) was like this. It was a very small private LAC that while offering great opportunities, definitely had a sort of don't say anything bad about the school kind of vibe. Complaining about the administration? Well I guess you won't be getting the study abroad location you really wanted and other things like that. You're very involved and love the school? You'll somehow get every position you apply for and can go do whatever the fuck you want and we'll support you. It's not really a deal breaker for me, but glad to know before making the plunge.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”