TLS c/o 2020 - In #Squad We Trust Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Rate this thread

83%
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
8%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 12

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Re: TLS c/o 2020 Applicants (politics pole)

Post by Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:38 pm

Rigo wrote:Pretty Little Liars.
Is PLL good trash? I actually enjoyed gossip girl somewhat :shock:

RParadela

Silver

Post by RParadela » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:38 pm

TWiiX wrote:
RParadela wrote:Mr. Robot, Game of Thrones, and Westworld are the best 3 shows on television. Also, True Detective season 1 is amazing
I think we're the same person. I can't recommend these 4 shows enough.
Honestly, Matthew mcconaughey in season 1 of true detective is one of the best acting performances I've ever seen in any television show. That shit was incredible

RParadela

Silver

Post by RParadela » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:39 pm

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:
Judged

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Post by Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:41 pm

poptart123 wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:Speaking of Lockean views of government, any atheists here who take a lockean view of nature (and by extension of government?)

I'm only agnostic and I can't imagine anything shot of the super-natural keeping people peaceful the way he describes.

E: Also, anyone here take a non hobbes/Locke view of nature? I don't think I've ever met someone who was say Montesquieuan
I haven't extensively read any of Locke's work, could you summarize the Lockean view of nature?
From what I remember (someone who follows Locke will have a better understanding); absent any groups or "proto-governments" people

"order their actions, and dispose of their possessions and persons, as they think fit, within the bounds of the law of nature."

He goes on to say that reason is the law of nature and what binds humans together. When written it was deeply rooted in English Christianity and as I learned it, reason was imbued in all of us through God.

It's the most popular libertarian view on the state of nature, because in holds that Governments are not very necessary and that human beings will naturally trend towards peaceful coexistence
Oh, well then I most certainly do not subscribe to that. I think govenment is required in some form, and that human nature is largely animalistic nature. Our actions are the result of chemicals and environment type of thing. It is amazing that humans have evolved to the point of something that almost resembles actual free will, though. Truly amazing.
I think it's more subtle than I explained it, I'm not totally certain which is why I want to speak to someone who subscribes to it. It does however sound like given zero laws Locke holds that people would naturally co-habitate and that any violation of the peace would be snuffed out without issue
For the most part but Locke recognizes that there are some humans that will not co-habitate peacefully and thus we form governments to protect our natural rights: life, liberty, and property.
Ok so how do Hobbes and Locke differ? Hobbes recognizes that there are some "laws" of nature to strive for, but there are too many people who seek their own self interest that they're unattainable in without governments.

Is it just the percentage of people? Or is it more about the concept of government for protection vs government for ruling citizenry?

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:41 pm

Def trash but I must admit I would fire up the pizza tracker and binge hard.

Want something nice and light and funny, try Catastrophe on Amazon Prime.
Last edited by Rigo on Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chandhi

Gold

Post by chandhi » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:42 pm

Rigo wrote:
+1 can vouch for this

futureellewoods123

Bronze

Post by futureellewoods123 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:44 pm

chandhi wrote:
Rigo wrote:
+1 can vouch for this
+2 can as well

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Post by Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:45 pm

jjcorvino wrote:
Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:Need a new show.

Can be on netflix, amazon, Hulu, or HBO.

Preferably one that can be binged but isn't dated.
I really enjoyed Narcos. If you haven't seen "The night of" go watch that now, it is fantastic.
Ooh I forgot about night of, I didn't have HBO when it aired.

I'll check that out, I'm also enjoyed narcos

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Post by SybillAnnDorsett » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:53 pm

Gossip girl stans HIT ME UP.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Post by Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:55 pm

RParadela wrote:
Judged
Psh, that's nothing. I watch CSI Miami only 3/4 ironically

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:00 pm

poptart123 wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:Speaking of Lockean views of government, any atheists here who take a lockean view of nature (and by extension of government?)

I'm only agnostic and I can't imagine anything shot of the super-natural keeping people peaceful the way he describes.

E: Also, anyone here take a non hobbes/Locke view of nature? I don't think I've ever met someone who was say Montesquieuan
I haven't extensively read any of Locke's work, could you summarize the Lockean view of nature?
From what I remember (someone who follows Locke will have a better understanding); absent any groups or "proto-governments" people

"order their actions, and dispose of their possessions and persons, as they think fit, within the bounds of the law of nature."

He goes on to say that reason is the law of nature and what binds humans together. When written it was deeply rooted in English Christianity and as I learned it, reason was imbued in all of us through God.

It's the most popular libertarian view on the state of nature, because in holds that Governments are not very necessary and that human beings will naturally trend towards peaceful coexistence
Oh, well then I most certainly do not subscribe to that. I think govenment is required in some form, and that human nature is largely animalistic nature. Our actions are the result of chemicals and environment type of thing. It is amazing that humans have evolved to the point of something that almost resembles actual free will, though. Truly amazing.
I think it's more subtle than I explained it, I'm not totally certain which is why I want to speak to someone who subscribes to it. It does however sound like given zero laws Locke holds that people would naturally co-habitate and that any violation of the peace would be snuffed out without issue
For the most part but Locke recognizes that there are some humans that will not co-habitate peacefully and thus we form governments to protect our natural rights: life, liberty, and property.
Ok so how do Hobbes and Locke differ? Hobbes recognizes that there are some "laws" of nature to strive for, but there are too many people who seek their own self interest that they're unattainable in without governments.

Is it just the percentage of people? Or is it more about the concept of government for protection vs government for ruling citizenry?
kinda rusty on the topic, but pretty sure the biggest difference between the two is that Locke believes in natural rights and Hobbes does not.

Stephylynette

Bronze

Post by Stephylynette » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:16 pm

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:Need a new show.

Can be on netflix, amazon, Hulu, or HBO.

Preferably one that can be binged but isn't dated.
Orphan black is great

Stephylynette

Bronze

Post by Stephylynette » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:18 pm

SybillAnnDorsett wrote:Gossip girl stans HIT ME UP.
Here and present. Blair and Chuck for life.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Baby Gaga

Bronze

Post by Baby Gaga » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:04 pm

Stephylynette wrote:
Gossip girl is the defining work of our generation and I'm not afraid to stan for it. Chuck and Blair 4eva! If I lived in that show Id send snake emojis to Ivy and Vanessa

waldorf

Gold

Post by waldorf » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:39 pm

I'm making my boyfriend rewatch Gossip Girl with me and I swear he kind of likes it

waldorf

Gold

Post by waldorf » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:40 pm

Stephylynette wrote:
Hi friends

poptart123

Silver

Post by poptart123 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:46 pm

poptart123 wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
chargers21 wrote:

Hobbes and Locke differ on pretty much everything but are both important to social contract theory. Hobbes argues from an earlier time than Locke so the historical setting is very different. They both assume life starts in the "state of nature," but these are different to them. Hobbes believes the state of nature is nasty, brutish (British lol), and short. Inversely, Locke sees humans living mostly peacefully and minding themselves but with a few bad apples.

Hobbes believes that a strong ruler, such as the King of Britain, is needed to maintain order and that all citizens secede some liberty to that ruler for protection. Hobbes argues that this power cannot be resisted because the people's power has been ceded to him and thus that this authority is absolute.

Locke, on the other hand, believes a legitimate government is that with the consent of the people to govern. If the government fails to represent and protect the people then the people have the right to overthrow it and establish a new one. Lockean principles are found in much of the American democracy. Unlike Hobbes, Locke does not envision a government with unlimited power. If the government were to have unlimited power over the people Locke would ask why establish a government at all? Why form a government for protection if you have no rights left to be protected?

Nobody really buys Hobbes' arguments anymore, but your reference to an unruly state of nature is similar to what he uses in Leviathan and it reminded me of him. Don't read Leviathan if you are interested in Hobbes, it's really, really, boring and much about divine right. Read a summary instead. Locke's Two Treatises on Government or sometimes Second Treatise on Government (seen it both ways) is a good read if you want to read a historic text that helped shape many governments today. I recommend it, but also a good summary online will do the job too. The first treatise is basically just refuting divine right so you can skip it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Tazewell

Bronze

Post by Tazewell » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:36 pm

bwaldorf wrote:
I'm making my boyfriend rewatch Gossip Girl with me and I swear he kind of likes it
I was a boyfriend who was also made to do this as well, and definitely ended up liking it! So your boyfriend is not alone.

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Post by SybillAnnDorsett » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:37 pm

Baby Gaga wrote:
Stephylynette wrote:
Gossip girl is the defining work of our generation and I'm not afraid to stan for it. Chuck and Blair 4eva! If I lived in that show Id send snake emojis to Ivy and Vanessa
Name that icon:

"You can tell Jesus the bitch is back"

waldorf

Gold

Post by waldorf » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:08 pm

SybillAnnDorsett wrote:
Baby Gaga wrote:
Stephylynette wrote:
Name that icon:

Georgina

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:12 pm

Last edited by chargers21 on Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Stephylynette

Bronze

Post by Stephylynette » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:14 pm

bwaldorf wrote:
SybillAnnDorsett wrote:
Baby Gaga wrote:
Stephylynette wrote:
Name that icon:

Georgina
Georgina is high key my favorite character on the whole damn show. She's a queen

baseballfan660

Bronze

Post by baseballfan660 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:16 pm

Rigo wrote:I'm on the last season of The Wire and I'm like why did they end this after only 5 seasons? :(
The wire is amazing.

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Post by Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:19 pm

Tazewell wrote:
bwaldorf wrote:
I was a boyfriend who was also made to do this as well, and definitely ended up liking it! So your boyfriend is not alone.
Same gossip girl experience. He def secretly likes it.

Also I went into the night ready to start bringing night of but now pretty little liars is on so...

I'm turning into the skid yall

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:23 pm

gotta secret
can ya keep it

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”