New York Law School c/o 2015/16 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
apslaw1031

New

New York Law School c/o 2015/16

Post by apslaw1031 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:14 pm

I didn't see this thread anywhere, so I thought I'd start one.

I was accepted a while ago and got a decent scholarship offer, so I'm seriously considering attending.
I'm going to the scholarship reception and open house March 9th/10th.
If all goes well I'll be looking for an apartment nearby.

Anyone else thinking of going to NYLS in the fall?

gmerger

New

Re: New York Law School c/o 2015/16

Post by gmerger » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:18 pm

I just got in today....don't think I'll be getting any $$$, and NYLS at sticker seems like alot.

swagu

New

Post by swagu » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:28 pm

Definitely towards the top of my list. Right now I'm deciding between there and Syracuse. Also waiting to hear back from St. John's. Feel like NYLS might be a better fit than Cuse though if I'm looking for opportunities in NYC after graduation. Also probably better when looking for summer internships, etc...

Once St. John's gets back to me (if they ever do!) I'll finally be able to make my decision

gmerger

New

Post by gmerger » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:32 pm

swagu wrote:Definitely towards the top of my list. Right now I'm deciding between there and Syracuse. Also waiting to hear back from St. John's. Feel like NYLS might be a better fit than Cuse though if I'm looking for opportunities in NYC after graduation. Also probably better when looking for summer internships, etc...

Once St. John's gets back to me (if they ever do!) I'll finally be able to make my decision
Rutgers-Newark is my #1, taking forever to get a response but I don't think I have a shot of getting in there, so far I've been admitted to NYLS, Touro with $ and Nova. Still waiting on Pace and RU

swagu

New

Post by swagu » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:51 pm

gmerger wrote:
swagu wrote:Definitely towards the top of my list. Right now I'm deciding between there and Syracuse. Also waiting to hear back from St. John's. Feel like NYLS might be a better fit than Cuse though if I'm looking for opportunities in NYC after graduation. Also probably better when looking for summer internships, etc...

Rutgers-Newark is my #1, taking forever to get a response but I don't think I have a shot of getting in there, so far I've been admitted to NYLS, Touro with $ and Nova. Still waiting on Pace and RU
My status tracker for Pace updated on tuesday saying they mailed me a decision. I'll probably get that today or tomorrow. Pace is a solid school, but I don't think I would go there, even if I get in, because I am from Westchester, and really want to go to school in the city. Right now I'm working at a firm in White Plains though, and one of the Associates here is a Pace alum, and we also just hired another guy who graduated Pace last year, which leads me to believe there are definitely opportunities out there with a degree from Pace.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kess

Bronze

Post by Kess » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:24 pm

suits00

Bronze

Post by suits00 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:14 pm

swagu wrote:My status tracker for Pace updated on tuesday saying they mailed me a decision. I'll probably get that today or tomorrow. Pace is a solid school, but I don't think I would go there, even if I get in, because I am from Westchester, and really want to go to school in the city. Right now I'm working at a firm in White Plains though, and one of the Associates here is a Pace alum, and we also just hired another guy who graduated Pace last year, which leads me to believe there are definitely opportunities out there with a degree from Pace.
Did you notice if your Pace status checker said "File on Hold - Decision Still Pending" right before it went to "Decision Mailed"? And have you heard anything yet? I hope you got good news! Please respond on the Pace board if possible:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 7&t=174657

swagu

New

Post by swagu » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:33 am

suits00 wrote:
swagu wrote:My status tracker for Pace updated on tuesday saying they mailed me a decision. I'll probably get that today or tomorrow. Pace is a solid school, but I don't think I would go there, even if I get in, because I am from Westchester, and really want to go to school in the city. Right now I'm working at a firm in White Plains though, and one of the Associates here is a Pace alum, and we also just hired another guy who graduated Pace last year, which leads me to believe there are definitely opportunities out there with a degree from Pace.
Did you notice if your Pace status checker said "File on Hold - Decision Still Pending" right before it went to "Decision Mailed"? And have you heard anything yet? I hope you got good news! Please respond on the Pace board if possible:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 7&t=174657
*Responded on the Pace board*

suits00

Bronze

Post by suits00 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:39 pm

gmerger wrote:Rutgers-Newark is my #1, taking forever to get a response but I don't think I have a shot of getting in there, so far I've been admitted to NYLS, Touro with $ and Nova. Still waiting on Pace and RU
Try to stay positive about your chances at Rutgers-Newark if you can. It appears that anything is possible:

According to lawschoolnumbers.com under account name "iukwu12", Rutgers-Newark admitted someone with a 2.92 GPA and 153 LSAT to the full-time program who was a communications major at an undergraduate institution with a national ranking #152. Even though the popular opinion from law school admissions experts would be that the person's chance of admission, based solely upon the numbers, is close to 0%, they were admitted.

If I'm not mistaken, the person mentioned that banking experience and a good personal statement were the deciding factors in their acceptance to several schools where the numbers alone would have guaranteed rejection, so if that is the case then you definitely cannot go by the numbers alone.

Good luck--I hope you get in! Stay positive!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gmerger

New

Post by gmerger » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:28 pm

suits00 wrote:
gmerger wrote:Rutgers-Newark is my #1, taking forever to get a response but I don't think I have a shot of getting in there, so far I've been admitted to NYLS, Touro with $ and Nova. Still waiting on Pace and RU
Try to stay positive about your chances at Rutgers-Newark if you can. It appears that anything is possible:

According to lawschoolnumbers.com under account name "iukwu12", Rutgers-Newark admitted someone with a 2.92 GPA and 153 LSAT to the full-time program who was a communications major at an undergraduate institution with a national ranking #152. Even though the popular opinion from law school admissions experts would be that the person's chance of admission, based solely upon the numbers, is close to 0%, they were admitted.

If I'm not mistaken, the person mentioned that banking experience and a good personal statement were the deciding factors in their acceptance to several schools where the numbers alone would have guaranteed rejection, so if that is the case then you definitely cannot go by the numbers alone.

Good luck--I hope you get in! Stay positive!

Thanks for the kind words!

I am trying my best to stay positive about RU. I saw that same person on LSN you are referring to and she was also an URM if i recall correctly so that definitely helped.

I have a 153 lsat and a 3.0 GPA from rutgers new brunswick for undergrad so my chances are slim, but I finished my last 2 years at RU extremely strong after struggling as an underclassman so maybe that will be taken into consideration.

I think my PS and LOR's were pretty good, I have been employed at a lar firm for the past year and they helped alot with my applicatio process. Either way I am 3-3 so far so I can't complain to much!

gpatino

New

Post by gpatino » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:05 pm

status updated to today's date!

accuratesite2020

New

Post by accuratesite2020 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:30 am

Anyone accepted into the part-time program and exploring commuting/living options?

apslaw1031

New

Post by apslaw1031 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:04 pm

accuratesite2020 wrote:Anyone accepted into the part-time program and exploring commuting/living options?
I'm full-time, but I'm looking at living options.
I figured I'd wait until the Open House and ask lots of questions about housing then.
Plus, I can wander around a little and see where I'd like to check for apartment availabilities.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

swagu

New

Post by swagu » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:36 pm

apslaw1031 wrote:
accuratesite2020 wrote:Anyone accepted into the part-time program and exploring commuting/living options?
I figured I'd wait until the Open House and ask lots of questions about housing then.
Plus, I can wander around a little and see where I'd like to check for apartment availabilities.
The beauty of NYLS is that location-wise you can live just about anywhere. Many of the subway lines have stops close to the school ranging from a 3 minute walk to about a 10 minute walk. So whether you're uptown, downtown, east side, west side, it's not too difficult to get to the school

Kess

Bronze

Post by Kess » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:49 pm

swagu wrote:
apslaw1031 wrote:
The beauty of NYLS is that location-wise you can live just about anywhere. Many of the subway lines have stops close to the school ranging from a 3 minute walk to about a 10 minute walk. So whether you're uptown, downtown, east side, west side, it's not too difficult to get to the school
Thats quite true. Same for Brooklyn Law School or Cardozo. You can also consider apartments in Brooklyn.

stevepark309

New

Post by stevepark309 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:21 pm

Thanks for the kind words!

I am trying my best to stay positive about RU. I saw that same person on LSN you are referring to and she was also an URM if i recall correctly so that definitely helped.

I have a 153 lsat and a 3.0 GPA from rutgers new brunswick for undergrad so my chances are slim, but I finished my last 2 years at RU extremely strong after struggling as an underclassman so maybe that will be taken into consideration.

I think my PS and LOR's were pretty good, I have been employed at a lar firm for the past year and they helped alot with my applicatio process. Either way I am 3-3 so far so I can't complain to much![/quote]

i say retake if you're looking at RU . i was an rutgers new bruns undergrad. last year..3.1 GPA, 158, solid softs rejected. this year 3.1 GPA , 162, great softs. accepted. but good luck to this year.

also. did you select weighted towards education/grades or work experience? that could have a factor as well for RU newark app

ix88

New

Post by ix88 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:55 pm

in with 20k scholly.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

apslaw1031

New

Post by apslaw1031 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:04 pm

ix88 wrote:in with 20k scholly.
Congrats! :D

So are you seriously considering attending?

JerichoJohnny

Bronze

Post by JerichoJohnny » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:23 pm

I've already withdrawn, but they sent me a nifty T-shirt!

Lawer101

New

Post by Lawer101 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:27 pm

ix88 wrote:in with 20k scholly.
Same. Don't think I will be attending though. Too much $$$ for difference and COL. I'm good at Buffalo...where I live. Good Luck to everyone though and I'll definitely take another Tshirt (Syracuse) lol

suits00

Bronze

Post by suits00 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:30 pm

To those of you who will be attending NYLS, or are thinking about it, could you please help me understand some of the negative things I've been hearing. It's getting REALLY discouraging having everyone tell me what an absolute sh*thole NYLS is. The latest person messaged me the following:

" The general impression is that it's a diploma mill.
Issues that need to be considered:
1) very high student to faculty ratio
2) failing students are forced into a program (CCP) which basically gears them to passing the bar, but removes the ability for students to focus on areas that interest them
3) worst performing studenst are forced to reduce their workload and will need to stay on an additional semester
4) difficulty in finding employment upon graduation (less than 1 in 7 end up working for large firms)
5) unreliable salary information for graduates

Quotes from the dean of NYLS:
“We should be ashamed of ourselves,"
"We took them. We took their money. We live on their money"
"We should shut the damn place down. And that's a moral responsibility that we bear in the academy.”
"Maybe the chance at being in the top 10 percent is not a good enough lottery shot in order to effectively spend $120,000 and see it blow up at the end of three years of law school.”

If you're interested in practicing law in NYC, you should read the following article, which compares the various NYC law schools to each other
--LinkRemoved-- ... in-ny.html "

Is any of this true? Why is this the popular opinion? Is there any truth to the lawsuit filed by former students?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

teacozy

New

Post by teacozy » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:50 pm

I'm not applying, so I have no dog in this fight. I will say that it's definitely not worth sticker for many reasons, some of which are on that list. Having said that, points #2 and #3 (but especially #3) do not strike me as bad things. If someone is performing very poorly, I don't think it's a bad idea to force that person to slow down. Yes, the cost of an additional semester is not insignificant, but if the person is below median and determined not to drop out, it seems like a good idea to do whatever possible to help them get their grade up, especially given the dismal employment prospects.

suits00

Bronze

Post by suits00 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:54 pm

Thanks for the info. Can you share some of the negatives (and any possible positives) that you know of that are not on the list? I'm trying to make a completely educated decision.

Lawer101

New

Post by Lawer101 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:55 pm

withdrew today. freed up 20k. good luck all

postb538

New

Post by postb538 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:05 pm

suits00 wrote:To those of you who will be attending NYLS, or are thinking about it, could you please help me understand some of the negative things I've been hearing. It's getting REALLY discouraging having everyone tell me what an absolute sh*thole NYLS is. The latest person messaged me the following:

" The general impression is that it's a diploma mill.
Issues that need to be considered:
1) very high student to faculty ratio
2) failing students are forced into a program (CCP) which basically gears them to passing the bar, but removes the ability for students to focus on areas that interest them
3) worst performing studenst are forced to reduce their workload and will need to stay on an additional semester
4) difficulty in finding employment upon graduation (less than 1 in 7 end up working for large firms)
5) unreliable salary information for graduates

Quotes from the dean of NYLS:
“We should be ashamed of ourselves,"
"We took them. We took their money. We live on their money"
"We should shut the damn place down. And that's a moral responsibility that we bear in the academy.”
"Maybe the chance at being in the top 10 percent is not a good enough lottery shot in order to effectively spend $120,000 and see it blow up at the end of three years of law school.”

If you're interested in practicing law in NYC, you should read the following article, which compares the various NYC law schools to each other
--LinkRemoved-- ... in-ny.html "

Is any of this true? Why is this the popular opinion? Is there any truth to the lawsuit filed by former students?

That was all taken completely out of context. Here is the link to the actual article in which the Dean is addressing the ABA and all law school's approaches toward their students.

http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/ ... nt_succeed

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”