Can schools run out of room for accepted candidates? Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
amputatedbrain

Bronze

Can schools run out of room for accepted candidates?

Post by amputatedbrain » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:41 am

Most schools tell accepted students they have to make a deposit or otherwise confirm/deny the offer of acceptance by a sometime in April. I've heard unconfirmed stories that occasionally the admissions committees are slightly off on predicting the yield and they get more students accepting offers of admission than they were prepared for . . . then the last ones to commit right before the deadline are out of luck . . . has this ever actually happened, or is it a law school application urban legend? Is this the idea to putting down multiple deposits?

Kohinoor

Gold

Re: Can schools run out of room for accepted candidates?

Post by Kohinoor » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:46 am

amputatedbrain wrote:Most schools tell accepted students they have to make a deposit or otherwise confirm/deny the offer of acceptance by a sometime in April. I've heard unconfirmed stories that occasionally the admissions committees are slightly off on predicting the yield and they get more students accepting offers of admission than they were prepared for . . . then the last ones to commit right before the deadline are out of luck . . . has this ever actually happened, or is it a law school application urban legend? Is this the idea to putting down multiple deposits?
They may offer students the option of deferring in exchange for tuition or something. Otherwise the school misjudged and just has to overenroll and deal with it.

MoS

Bronze

Post by MoS » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:38 am

I'm pretty sure Wisconsin overenrolled last year, and the classes were just more crowded than normal. I don't think schools can withdraw your offer of acceptance because of a problem they made.

thecivic06

New

Post by thecivic06 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:48 am

The University of Miami School of Law accepted too many candidates for the 2009 Incoming class and as a solution, they offered some students like a $5000 scholarship to defer for a year.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”