how many hours a day do you study?? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
dsa1

New

how many hours a day do you study??

Post by dsa1 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:42 pm

I took the LSAT before and I didn't study as much as I should have.

Starting this week, I've been doing about 2-3 hours each day with a full 5 section test every week.

I'm focusing more on why I missed certain questions and getting the games down perfect.

I feel like I should be studying 5-6 hours per day..but afraid i'll burn out way before the Sept test date. :oops:

Lupton Pittman

New

Re: how many hours a day do you study??

Post by Lupton Pittman » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:52 pm

I'm trying to stick to 4-5 during the week.

cameronfraser88

New

Post by cameronfraser88 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:56 pm

If you add all the time I spend reading threads in this forum then like 10 hours a day. Otherwise probably just an hour or two.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:00 pm

I studied maybe an average of two or three hours a day, five days a week the final month before the test, and a little less than that the preceding couple months.

Five to six hours a day in June while preparing for the September test probably isn't a good idea. High likelihood of crash and burn.

hithere

Bronze

Post by hithere » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:02 pm

8 hrs day/broken up (take full test in morning, review in afternoon)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thuggishruggishbone

New

Post by thuggishruggishbone » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:05 pm

you have to study like you were Chinese:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/13/world ... ?ref=world

js87

Bronze

Post by js87 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:17 pm

hithere wrote:8 hrs day/broken up (take full test in morning, review in afternoon)

If you do that from now until September won't you run out of tests pretty long before the LSAT?

I study 1-2 hours per day, except once per week (on average) when I take a full length test. Beginning in August it will probably pick up to 2-3 hours per day.

solotee

Bronze

Post by solotee » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:32 pm

I try to squeeze in 2 different sessions of 2-3 hours each, can't say that I always stick to schedule :oops:

zanda

Silver

Post by zanda » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:37 pm

I did 2 hours or so (1 practice test) about 3 times a week

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bumblebeetoona

New

Post by bumblebeetoona » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:39 pm

1 hour a day. Having taken it once already, I know the basics and I just need more practice.

Joan Manuel Serrat

New

Post by Joan Manuel Serrat » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:41 pm

thuggishruggishbone wrote:you have to study like you were Chinese:

NY TIMES wrote:The night before the exam, he lingered at his parents’ bedside, unable to sleep for hours. “I was so nervous during the exam my mind went blank,” he said. He scored 432 points out of a possible 750, too low to be admitted even to a second-tier institution.

Silence reigned in the house for days afterward. “My mother was very angry,” he said. “She said, ‘All these years of raising you and washing your clothes and cooking for you, and you earn such a bad score.'"
LOL!

Frb43

New

Post by Frb43 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:41 pm

About 2 hours a day (because I'm currently only doing LR), but once I finish with LR and then LG, I'll start taking PTs every third day, boosting my study time to about 4-5 hours a day.

alanbfish

New

Post by alanbfish » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:27 pm

Dont's remind me of those good old days :mrgreen:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MSachmorov

New

Post by MSachmorov » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:46 pm

The LSAT is still more intense and the studying process is much more arduous (or at least should be). :mrgreen:

duodora

Bronze

Post by duodora » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:24 am

I've been doing 3-4 hours a day 6 days a week, for um, all of 2 weeks now :P

I think I might tone it down a little bit though--I'd rather not burn out and the test really is pretty far away. I've managed to pull my diagnostic (157) up to the 170 area. I know it will only get harder from here, but there are still 3 months until the test, and I think I'd rather do less per day and learn it more thoroughly than doing more per day and committing less to memory.

vttran9

New

Post by vttran9 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:01 am

4-5 hours a day, 5 days a week.. lets not mention work or summer school... :shock:

bakemono

New

Post by bakemono » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:46 am

duodora wrote:I've been doing 3-4 hours a day 6 days a week, for um, all of 2 weeks now :P

I think I might tone it down a little bit though--I'd rather not burn out and the test really is pretty far away. I've managed to pull my diagnostic (157) up to the 170 area. I know it will only get harder from here, but there are still 3 months until the test, and I think I'd rather do less per day and learn it more thoroughly than doing more per day and committing less to memory.
dude, you're pretty much my twin. 157 to several 170's in a row now, and i'm massively regretting eating through pt's instead of focusing as much time as possible to my wrong answers. Then again, I am taking the test in a week, so maybe I won't feel the need to take it again. If I do have to take it again though, I'd feel really good about a 170.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

MlhopeTC

New

Post by MlhopeTC » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:38 am

Joan Manuel Serrat wrote:

NY TIMES wrote:The night before the exam, he lingered at his parents’ bedside, unable to sleep for hours. “I was so nervous during the exam my mind went blank,” he said. He scored 432 points out of a possible 750, too low to be admitted even to a second-tier institution.

Silence reigned in the house for days afterward. “My mother was very angry,” he said. “She said, ‘All these years of raising you and washing your clothes and cooking for you, and you earn such a bad score.'"
LOL!

that is good stuff, haha!

lawlover829

Bronze

Post by lawlover829 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:40 am

When I was studying I was doing 10-12 hours a day.

Hook 'Em

Bronze

Post by Hook 'Em » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:43 am

Helmholtz wrote:I studied maybe an average of two or three hours a day, five days a week the final month before the test, and a little less than that the preceding couple months.
There is no way that I could productively study for 5-6 hours a day.

SUSasskuash

New

Post by SUSasskuash » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:15 pm

dsa1 wrote:I took the LSAT before and I didn't study as much as I should have.

Starting this week, I've been doing about 2-3 hours each day with a full 5 section test every week.

I'm focusing more on why I missed certain questions and getting the games down perfect.

I feel like I should be studying 5-6 hours per day..but afraid i'll burn out way before the Sept test date. :oops:
I hope you have more going on than just LSAT studying if your worried about burnout. I'm currently a paralegal and, trust me, if 5-6 hours a day burns you out you shouldn't be in law anyway.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:20 pm

SUSasskuash wrote:

I hope you have more going on than just LSAT studying if your worried about burnout. I'm currently a paralegal and, trust me, if 5-6 hours a day burns you out you shouldn't be in law anyway.
I'm a paralegal too. If you think LSAT study is anything like law firm work, you're sadly mistaken.

Also, LSAT study is usually piled on to whatever else you have going on during your life. I was working 25 hours a week and taking a semester of school while studying. It wasn't always easy to fit study time in.

SUSasskuash

New

Post by SUSasskuash » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:01 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
SUSasskuash wrote:

I'm a paralegal too. If you think LSAT study is anything like law firm work, you're sadly mistaken.

Also, LSAT study is usually piled on to whatever else you have going on during your life. I was working 25 hours a week and taking a semester of school while studying. It wasn't always easy to fit study time in.
That's exactly my point- just the LSAT should not burn you out after 5 hours/day. On top of working or a full class schedule (or both), it's a legit concern. But when a law firm asks its lawyers to work 60+ hours a week on a regular basis (as mine does), someone who has dropped everything else just to study for the LSAT should be capable of putting more than 30 hours a week into studying. If you don't need that much to score well on the test, that's great, but putting in just that number of hours concentrating should not cause burnout.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”