Wow, someone must have been bored.

WestOfTheRest

Re: Pithypike's Complete LSAT Study Guide

Postby WestOfTheRest » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:53 pm

But nice writeup.

pithypike

Postby pithypike » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:56 pm

This is what happens when you're stuck taking an entry level general requirement as an apathetic and jaded senior......

BlackJack

Postby BlackJack » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:00 pm

I think most people prep in the same way, regardless of whether you do the following consciously or unconsciously and whether you take a course or not.

Phase 1: Accuracy
You basically need to learn the theory of the LSAT and then do drills of a certain concept (whether it is LG/LR/RC) until you are accurate, untimed. Prep courses have the theory and questions already laid out for you. Self-preppers will need to buy the bibles, study them and photocopy and sort questions themselves. Some self-prep don't do drills and go straight to doing sections, albeit untimed. I think you'll reinforce the concepts better if you do drills while learning the theory.

Phase 2: Speed
Hopefully, you didn't use up all of the LSATs on drills and you have some whole sections you can do, timed. But only one section at a time. You are just now working on timing because hopefully, your accuracy and understanding of LSAT theory is sound.

Phase 3: Endurance
At this point, you should be able to finish any section in less than 35 minutes (with bubbling) and so you need to build endurance to be able to do 5 sections in a row.

That's the way I see it anyway.

milymo

Postby milymo » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:37 pm

pithypike wrote:This is what happens when you're stuck taking an entry level general requirement as an apathetic and jaded senior......

Oh my gosh, I'm in the same situation this semester. Only 9 hours to graduate, and all sophomore level classes. BORING! I feel your pain. :)

pithypike

Postby pithypike » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:49 am

Last edited by pithypike on Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

milymo

Postby milymo » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:46 pm

pithypike wrote:
milymo wrote:
pithypike wrote:This is what happens when you're stuck taking an entry level general requirement as an apathetic and jaded senior......

Oh my gosh, I'm in the same situation this semester. Only 9 hours to graduate, and all sophomore level classes. BORING! I feel your pain. :)

Freshman girls though, which probably doesn't help you.

But it helps me. :) :)

Yeah, not much help for me. Glad you have some entertainment during class. I usually sit at the back and do logic games. What a nerd.

jack123

Postby jack123 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:20 pm

I like this outline a lot and think I will use it. I have 5 months to prepare so any suggestions on how you would spread this out over a few more months?

Also any reason why only back to 45 vs. dropping the superprep?

Ken

Postby Ken » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:49 pm

Great contribution to site readers Pithypike. Thank you very much for taking the time to create and post this.

Thanks,

Ken

CRJC

Postby CRJC » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:32 am

BlackJack wrote:I think most people prep in the same way, regardless of whether you do the following consciously or unconsciously and whether you take a course or not.

Phase 1: Accuracy
You basically need to learn the theory of the LSAT and then do drills of a certain concept (whether it is LG/LR/RC) until you are accurate, untimed. Prep courses have the theory and questions already laid out for you. Self-preppers will need to buy the bibles, study them and photocopy and sort questions themselves. Some self-prep don't do drills and go straight to doing sections, albeit untimed. I think you'll reinforce the concepts better if you do drills while learning the theory.

Phase 2: Speed
Hopefully, you didn't use up all of the LSATs on drills and you have some whole sections you can do, timed. But only one section at a time. You are just now working on timing because hopefully, your accuracy and understanding of LSAT theory is sound.

Phase 3: Endurance
At this point, you should be able to finish any section in less than 35 minutes (with bubbling) and so you need to build endurance to be able to do 5 sections in a row.

That's the way I see it anyway.

i really wish i would have realized this before starting to study, as it is a really important point. there is an order to those factors, and i've just been bombarding myself with everything at once..

pithypike

Postby pithypike » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:33 am

jack123 wrote:I like this outline a lot and think I will use it. I have 5 months to prepare so any suggestions on how you would spread this out over a few more months?

Also any reason why only back to 45 vs. dropping the superprep?

Just spread it out proportionately, but make sure that you leave the 10 PTs for the final month. You want that whole month to be focused on building endurance and instinctive timing for the real thing, so it's crucial they be close enough together that you get into a habit.

I think SuperPrep is a great resource that is under used by a lot of test takers. It tells you what the test writers are trying to evaluate and what tricks they will use to throw you off. Not in so many words, but the pattern of reasoning they use to write wrong answer choices is visible in their explanation of why those choices are wrong, so you get a peak into how they try to trick you and throw you off.

46 and on is when the test really beings to change. The curve tightened up some post 39 because LG got a bit easier, but after 46 LG changed a lot and RC began shifting toward more detail oriented questions. For this reason I think it is best to work with these in the final month, as opposed to pre-46 tests (except 45, for whatever reason).

HTH

Thanks Ken, by the way. This site has been a great resource.

jack123

Postby jack123 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:27 am

I read this again and think I am going to do what you have outlined except over 5 months. My question is I read somewhere that the Kaplan Mastery does a better job with sorting out the LR question by types. Is this correct?

paulmar

Postby paulmar » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:32 am

pithypike wrote:

LG:
You will need to divide LG into specific types (Grouping, Linear, and various subtypes) and work on them one after another in order to master the game.
1) Make 3 photocopies of every LG

HTH

why make 3 photocopies?

also, i've gone through the LR&LG bibles, done over 50 sections in LR from various PT's. i just bought the mastery book - do you think i should still follow your routine? i'm taking the Dec. lsat, as i focused primarily on LR over the past 2 months (5-7 hrs/day) and am almost done with the LG bible after the past 2 weeks - though no work in RC. i have major problems w/2nd guessing myself and also w/parallel and flaw questions; mustbetrue/inference also. i'm at a 158 (from a Sept. 2007 lsat of 149) and trying to hit mid-upper 160's.

what would you suggest i do? follow an abbreviated version of your plan?

pithypike

Postby pithypike » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:17 pm

You might not want to follow it exactly, but I think you should use Kaplan mastery. If you feel solid on the other question types, then you can ignore those sections and just focus on your weaknesses. I firmly believe the best way to learn specific LR types is doing them over and over again, and Kaplan Mastery provides a convenient way to do this.

Make 3 photocopies of each LG so you can do each one three times. LG is all about mechanics, and repeating games is the best way to develop those mechanics to the point that everything is instinctive.

With all the studying you have done, following this guideline exactly might not be the best idea. Take the study methods and establish a plan to fit your specific needs.

pithypike

Postby pithypike » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:19 pm

jack123 wrote:I read this again and think I am going to do what you have outlined except over 5 months. My question is I read somewhere that the Kaplan Mastery does a better job with sorting out the LR question by types. Is this correct?

I have never seen a Big Orange Book, so I can't say how it compares to Mastery. I do know that Mastery is very well organized and effective though, so if you are wavering on which to purchase you may as well go with the guaranteed useful one.

jack123

Postby jack123 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:26 pm

Sounds good, am pretty pumped about my studying now that I have a solid plan which uses the materials I will use.

By the way I love your handle, evertime I see it I start laughing

pithypike

Postby pithypike » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:26 am

jack123 wrote:Sounds good, am pretty pumped about my studying now that I have a solid plan which uses the materials I will use.

By the way I love your handle, evertime I see it I start laughing

Yeah Manatees are probably the coolest marine mammals around.

Mr. Papagiorgio

Postby Mr. Papagiorgio » Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:55 pm

hey pithypike, i plan on using your study plan for the next two months (especially with the LG section) to get ready for the december LSAT. however, i had a few quick questions.

i was confused about where the LGB comes into play. am i working through a chapter (like the linear games) then spending the entire month working on only problems from that chapter?

and i was confused about the #'s next to the LGs. . . .

thanks, pithy!

(i'll probably have more questions down the line. . . . )

pithypike

Postby pithypike » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:45 pm

Mr. Papagiorgio wrote:hey pithypike, i plan on using your study plan for the next two months (especially with the LG section) to get ready for the december LSAT. however, i had a few quick questions.

i was confused about where the LGB comes into play. am i working through a chapter (like the linear games) then spending the entire month working on only problems from that chapter?

and i was confused about the #'s next to the LGs. . . .

thanks, pithy!

(i'll probably have more questions down the line. . . . )

You work through the entire chapter on whichever game type you are working on (Grouping, Linear, Pattern, Hybrid, etc.), then start working through that LG type game by game. If you struggle with a particular game then go back to the LGB and review it.

The numbers next to each LG type are the number of games that exist for each game type.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Mr. Papagiorgio

Postby Mr. Papagiorgio » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:43 pm

i have a bunch of earlier tests, so i'll probably just tweak the PT's and do 41-51 instead.

i also have a bunch of tests from like 1996 and on. how do you feel about taking some of these older tests?

pithypike

Postby pithypike » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:06 pm

Mr. Papagiorgio wrote:i have a bunch of earlier tests, so i'll probably just tweak the PT's and do 41-51 instead.

i also have a bunch of tests from like 1996 and on. how do you feel about taking some of these older tests?

Older tests are fine, but make sure you take the most recent ones in the month leading up to the test. Slight changes in style persist from test to test, but you will be more prepared for the actual test day by taking the most recent ones last.

I would suggest investing another $16 and getting at least two of the tests leading up to your test day, if not more. It's worth it.

pithypike

Postby pithypike » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:33 pm

This is a question extracted from another thread and posted here for your viewing convenience:

Oh yeah pithypike I was reading your study schedule/strategy on the other forum. What do you think about studying for the question types you're not doing well on (in both LG and LR) all at the same time instead of dividing up the two? Thanks in advance!

I am not sure I completely understand the question.

You should be studying for LG, LR and RC at a consistent pace throughout the plan. No time period is allocated specifically for any one section.

If you are asking if you should continue to review for a particular question/game type that gives you trouble even if you have already completed that section on the study guide, the answer is an emphatic yes. You should be narrowing down your weaknesses and tracking progress the entire time you are studying.

The last month is when you should really hit those weak areas hard (in between PT days and PT review) but you should certainly be reviewing weaknesses the entire way through.

That is the great thing about splitting up question and game types. You find your weaknesses and you can hammer them before test day.

KaplanLSATInstructor

Postby KaplanLSATInstructor » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:49 pm

Just a clarification for anybody looking for the Kaplan Big Orange Book -- it doesn't exist anymore. When Kaplan reorganized questions into three study books (Mastery, Pacing and Endurance), the Mastery Book took over for the Big Orange Book. Both books are similar in design (individual questions broken out by question type and grouped in levels of difficulty), but the Mastery book is the only one around now.

pithypike

Postby pithypike » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:55 pm

KaplanLSATInstructor wrote:Just a clarification for anybody looking for the Kaplan Big Orange Book -- it doesn't exist anymore. When Kaplan reorganized questions into three study books (Mastery, Pacing and Endurance), the Mastery Book took over for the Big Orange Book. Both books are similar in design (individual questions broken out by question type and grouped in levels of difficulty), but the Mastery book is the only one around now.

Thanks! I'll edit my OP to this effect.

Verify

Postby Verify » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:59 pm

There are glaringly noticeable deficiencies in the OP's heuristic organization of his/her study pattern.

Do you mind producing your age level, OP?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”