Should I take it a third time? What's a good way to prep? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
ALCA1920

New

Should I take it a third time? What's a good way to prep?

Post by ALCA1920 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:38 pm

Hi everyone,

It's dawning on me that my LSAT score is not sufficient for my career goals. First, I want to ask: is it worth takin it a third time for a 168+, or do law schools frown upon a third take? I took the LSAT twice, scoring 165 and 167. I want to go 168+. With the exception of PTs 1-18, I'm out of fresh practice exams.

My test day experience wasn't very good either– I had 0 hours of sleep going into both tests (I have bad anxiety and sleep problems in general), and by the time I got to sections 4 and 5, I felt like I was guessing on everything. RC and LG were manageable– I got through them with no problems. It felt like I was on autopilot and knew what to do without struggling too much. As for LR.... It was a nightmare. I definitely think that I missed 4 or 6 per section on my 167 take.

In general, I always struggled with strengthen, weaken, and flaw questions. They never 'clicked' for me like the other question types did. Any advice on how to go forward? I used the LSAT Trainer for almost everything and I still don't feel like I have a solid system in place for LR (lots of conflicting advice out there for LR in general. Stimulus vs. stem first, read stimulus slowly or quickly, pay attention to all the details or only the conclusion/premise, eliminate answer choices first or look for my pre-phrased right answer, etc). I also used Manhattan Forums for explanations, but a lot of times the explanations/debates on there were inconclusive and didn't have any takeaway lessons, especially for strengthen/weaken/flaw question types.

Thank you all!!

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Re: Should I take it a third time? What's a good way to prep?

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:54 pm

1) Get your anxiety under control. (This might take months or years, FYI)
2) Re-take the test
3) Write an addendum explaining steps 1) and 2)

antelope

New

Post by antelope » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:26 pm

Don't sign up again until you've worked on a plan to get more sleep and your nerves under control. A third take isn't too much. I think 4+ takes without improvement is a red flag.
Personally, I used Powerscore books and they helped me a lot. I also watched the 7sage videos and found them very helpful

lsatmadness

New

Post by lsatmadness » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:38 am

I took it 5 times. 5! Only on the fifth did I get through the 170 barrier. Don't give up. I have a free set of all my notes which you can find on lsatmadness.com chronicling the shifts in mindset and observations that helped me break the 170. Do check those out as I believe they can help. Don't give up!

stem0192837

New

Post by stem0192837 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:10 pm

lsatmadness wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:38 am
I took it 5 times. 5! Only on the fifth did I get through the 170 barrier. Don't give up. I have a free set of all my notes which you can find on lsatmadness.com chronicling the shifts in mindset and observations that helped me break the 170. Do check those out as I believe they can help. Don't give up!
May I ask what schools / range of schools you eventually got admitted to? Wondering if it made a difference.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”