Have to improve score from low 160's to mid 170's, writing LSAT on Jan 11: any tips? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
HLawSc

New

Have to improve score from low 160's to mid 170's, writing LSAT on Jan 11: any tips?

Post by HLawSc » Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:49 pm

Hey,

so far, I've made around 25 previous official tests: the first 5 with no time limits, around 10 separately with time limits and around 10 under real conditions. I'm pretty much stuck in the low 160's right now.

LG: That's actually my favorite part! The section I'm usually doing best and in which I've had the least trouble to improve on. Typically missing 2-3 at most, which is an issue of speed/routine (I usually have to guess the last 2-3 questions). I think more practice will get me to the point I want here soon...

LR: Here's an issue... Right now I'm missing 5-7 for the 2 LR sections combined. I've improved a lot since the first time I saw those types of questions and certainly get more routine, but I still have to guess at least 2-3 questions at the end, and that's where I lose the most points. I feel like I spend too much time for some questions (either for re-reading them or having to decide between 2 options) so that I get into time trouble at the end. Any tips how you guys improved on that, specifically regarding time management? I always re-try to answer the questions I got wrong/had to guess/took too much time on on my own after evaluating my score, and there is at most 1 question which I still get wrong. I think this indicates that it's not a matter of intelligence, but there might be a general trick here I haven't figured out yet...

RC: This is HELL! My best score I can remember was -7, and typically it's -9 or -10. There was no single time where I was able to properly read all 4 passages. Either I have to skim the last one (and I do this really, really roughly) or totally leave it and guess all answers. Usually I work on them in a question#-descending order. OK, English is not my first language, I've started reading in English regularly about over 1 year ago when I went to the US for my graduate studies and generally I read rather slowly than fast (and don't like reading in general). Do you guys use proper skimming/speed reading techniques? Are there specific patterns that I haven't figured out yet? This section honestly drives me crazy!

Generally, I've been using LSAT hacks to check the answers I was not sure about. Beyond previous exams and LSAT Hacks answers, I haven't used any other source. Would you guys recommend one? (have no access to 7sage due to the country I'm currently located).

Is this in general an uncommon situation among LawSchool applicants? The test is definitely fun and I enjoy being challenged with such types of problems. But I got to a point where I feel really dumb and frustrated right now because I'm not showing progress despite practice... Never experienced such a frustration about standardized or college exams, at which I usually did very well...

My test date is on January 11, I only wanna apply to Harvard, Yale and Stanford (I'm not choosing other law schools b/c in that case I would choose another career path for now).

TTTTorbust

New

Re: Have to improve score from low 160's to mid 170's, writing LSAT on Jan 11: any tips?

Post by TTTTorbust » Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:14 pm

Keep in mind, the section is called reading comprehension. The goal is to comprehend what you’ve read, which here means both to understand and remember.

I’m not sure how much of your difficulty is related to English not being your first language. How often do you find yourself looking back at the passage in answering questions? If you need to look back after reading each question stem, you’re going about the entire process incorrectly. The key to completing this section faster is not skimming more efficiently, or marking up the passages in a specific manner (Though you can certainly find guides that will give you techniques).

The key is to comprehend the passage well enough that, unless you’re being directed to a specific line in the passage by the question, you don’t need to look back at the passage to answer the questions. There will certainly be times that you need to look back because you missed some details, but the best way to improve your speed and efficiency is to read so closely that you understand and comprehend the text fully. Make sure you understand each sentence the first time you read it. Keep in mind major questions types, ask yourself what the speaker is arguing, and what each paragraph is attempting to do. You can find ways to “hack” this section, but if you want consistent on reading comp, you should to avoid them.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”