March Lsat or June?

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
2592798jf

New

March Lsat or June?

Postby 2592798jf » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:23 am

Hi all,

I am planning on entering law school in the fall of 2020.
I have taken three diagnostic tests at full length time and 5 full sections including the experimental. Both times I scored roughly a 160.
I go to a competitive top20 undergrad with a solid GPA above a 3.5. My major is likewise business which at my university is curved grading.

I would like to attend a top 30 law school like GW, BU, BC. Therefore, I would like a 165+ on my LSAT.

I am currently enrolled for the march and june LSAT.
I am worried that the digital July LSAT will go badly for me and that if i don't take March i will have only have one chance, June, to get the score I need and want.

What are your thoughts? What are the potential consequences of having that one "unready" LSAT score if I take it in March? Is 1 time taking it giving myself too few opportunities?

Blueprint LSAT

Partner

Re: March Lsat or June?

Postby Blueprint LSAT » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:41 pm

Depending on how much time you have to study between now and march, a 5-point increase might be very reasonable. LSAT prep is a vastly different experience depending on how much you need to improve. Spending a little time with some prep materials and picking up some low-hanging fruit might be enough in your situation. If you are shooting for closer to a 170 on the other hand, I might be concerned about March.

Also there is the issue of variance. Scores fluctuate by 3-5 points from your average for any number of reasons. If you have the time and resources, it might be worth it to work through some prep materials a little more thoroughly or take a course. If you could get your average into the high 160s by June you would give yourself a bit of a cushion.

As to taking the test in March and having an "unready" score... the common wisdom seems to be that retakes aren't a huge deal. I'm an LSAT tutor not an admissions officer, though, so I'll defer to others on that point.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?