Study before (Powerscore) class, or nah? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
marshmallowpop

New

Study before (Powerscore) class, or nah?

Post by marshmallowpop » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:43 am

Hi all,

I'm looking to take the LSAT in March. I've taken three tests without study (kind of just for fun lol) and got 160, 162, and 167, so I know I'm starting in a strong place. I'm aiming to score like 173+, which is hopefully very doable.
Here's the question: I'm planning to take a Powerscore class that starts at the end of the month. Is there any point in self studying til the class begins? I've been going through the LSAT Trainer for the past few days, but am worried that when I start the Powerscore class I'll need to "unlearn" everything I taught myself to adopt their method. Is this a legit concern? Lol, before my logic was that if I self-study before the class, I'll enter the class at my own peak, and will hopefully leave the class with a maxed out score -- now I'm just worried that I'm making my own life difficult for no gain. Thoughts?

DKilloranPowerScore

Bronze

Re: Study before (Powerscore) class, or nah?

Post by DKilloranPowerScore » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:22 pm

Hey Marshmallow, good question! You can actually study beforehand or not, either path is fine and I've seen many students use both approaches and be successful. For the most part the Trainer doesn't contradict anything we say, and if you do come across something where you feel you have to make a choice, simply go with what feels best to you. That likely won't involve anything as drastic as unlearning anything, so you should be fine!

Since you have a bit of a background, think about the class more as a shaping, enhancing, and refining process as opposed to a wholesale replacement of what you know. We want to take what you have and make it better, but as we do that, we explain why and how we are doing it so hopefully that will allow you to integrate the ideas more cleanly and seamlessly. It will make more sense once you are in class, but in the meantime it's not a big deal to keep reading if you want to. Please let me know if that helps, or if you have any other questions. Thanks!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”