Prep test 3 section 4, question 8 and 22 Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
fire_fried_rice

New

Prep test 3 section 4, question 8 and 22

Post by fire_fried_rice » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:56 am

Hi, I know these questions are from really old preptests and may not perfectly align with the current trends, but I'm using them to really delve deeper into my studying and seeing what I'm missing out.

For question 8, my initial thought was that due to increased children riding the automobiles, even with the mandated safety seats, you would still have large number of children accidents. And like magic, answer choice B was exactly what I thought. After checking C and D (didn't look into E) I moved on to the next question. Now that I see B more closely, it is stated as "before the introduction of the safety seats". Ahh...the seats were already introduced and the stimulus was talking about "mandating" the safety seats. So, while the first half of B would be correct, the latter half messes it up. Looking at E, it is an answer that I did not anticipated, but seems fairly fine.

For question 22, I chose E. Other answer choices were completely off the chart when comparing to the stimulus. The reason why I thought B was incorrect in the first place was because while the stimulus said therapies help patients when transfered to the market, I thought " hey they could still be of help when in research stage". Wrong of course, the stimulus specifically states "Only after the transfer~". Thus, the last sentence should be understood as "help patients > transfered to market". This would perfectly match answer choice B.

It seems that my problem was not reading carefully? On question 8 I did not fully read the all the answer choices and overlooked the "before the introduction~", while for question 22 I misunderstood the last sentence(especially the "only"). Is my problem not reading carefully or is there some other problem that I have here? It seems really frustrating that I get answers incorrect not because I did not see the logic, but because of hastiness. But then again, there might be deeper problem that I have which leads to my hastiness. What are your thoughts here? Have you had any experience like this? If so, how can I overcome such problems?

Deardevil

Bronze

Re: Prep test 3 section 4, question 8 and 22

Post by Deardevil » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:06 am

For the first one, (B) says
"Children are more likely to make automobile trips now than they were before the introduction of the safety seat."
That might explain why more children are sustaining injuries in GENERAL,
but it has been PROVEN that these seats are effective in preventing damage, so it cannot explain why kids are still getting hurt.
Something else must be the case, and (E) fixes the issue: safety seats work, but parents are careless in correctly utilizing them.

As for 22, it is looking for something that is provable.
The FDA is in charge of bringing in new therapeutic agents into the market and also plays a role in improving health care.
Those in the academic and government research communities engage in the process of initial discovery and clinical testing of new agents,
but is up to the FDA to facilitate the transfer of new discoveries from the laboratory to the marketplace.
Only after the transfer can important new therapies help patients.
Ah... The last sentence is a conditional statement.
If a therapy will help a patient, it must have been transferred. From where to where? Lab to market.

(A) The FDA is responsible for ensuring that any therapeutic agent that is marketed is then regulated.
We only know that the FDA is responsible for transfer; nothing else.

(B) Before new therapeutic agents reach the marketplace, they do not help patients.
Looking back at our conditional statement, something helps only if it has been transferred.
Take the contrapositive of that. It something does not transfer to the market, then it does not help. Perfect match!

(C) The research community is responsible for the excessively long testing period for new drugs, not the FDA.
This sounds alright at first, but ultimately cannot be proven.
We know the research community has a long process, but does it have to EXCESSIVELY long?
Someone may have a long history of smoking, having gone through it for 10 years or so, but 100 years? A bit overboard.

(D) The FDA should work more closely with researchers to ensure that the quality of therapeutic agents is maintained.
The more you see choices like this, the faster you are at crossing it out. After a sarcastic chuckle, of course.

(E) If a new medical discovery has been transferred from the laboratory to the marketplace, it will help patients.
This has it backwards. And mistaken reversals are always wrong.

Work on accuracy some more before attempting to breeze through the questions because your speed will see improvement and come naturally.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”