-11 Curve, September 2017 Waiter's Thread Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

What did you get?

Poll ended at Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:19 am

180-178
7%
177-175
11%
174-172
13%
171-169
15%
168-166
17%
165-160
20%
159-155
9%
154-150
5%
<150
3%

Total votes: 138

icechicken

Bronze

Re: September 2017 Waiter's Thread

Post by icechicken » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:09 am

saf18hornet wrote:Even if your goals are Yale or bust, there is no reason to cancel a score.
Agreed, with one exception. I would only consider cancelling if some bona-fide disaster - forgetting to bubble in answers for an entire section, getting sick and having to leave midway through the test, etc., caused me to miss a dozen questions or more. If I were 100% certain that some kind of problem like that is going to tank my score into the 140s, I would cancel, because it'll make the inevitable addendum about whatever happened more believable and because the sitting is now thoroughly useless as a diagnostic tool.

Lalalsat96

New

Re: Dive-bombing for Judges, September 2017 Waiter's Thread

Post by Lalalsat96 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:25 am

Impressionist wrote:I remember reading somewhere that someone who closely follows LSATs said that there was evidence that they switched the LR experimental location between versions of the 3 LR test. IIRC he said it would be a first.

I think it's worth noting that across multiple sites people seem to agree that one of the 25q sections was super easy and the other pretty tough. However they are split on whether section 1 or 3 was easy. Given how standardized LR is i think it is more likely that they swapped the sections than the community being split down the middle and pretty far apart about the difficulty of the sections.

At least I hope so since if there is only 1 version I could be in trouble.
I had 2 26q LR sections and one 1 25 q LR Ssection though .... now im paranoid if i bubbled wrong

sabraph

Bronze

Post by sabraph » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:36 pm

saf18hornet wrote:
tiffany_1234 wrote:
saf18hornet wrote:I had a single RC section as my 5th section. The first 2 passages were okay but I took too long on the first passage. Then when that 3rd passage (judges candor), showed up I hated all of it. I didn't like any of the AC and sunk allllll my remaining time into it. I didn't even try to read the last passage, just did the fee questions on specific line and word references then penciled in guesses. I'm gonna guess I got the same score as June.

I had 3 RC, the 1st one seemed very difficult (25Q). The other two not so bad.

LG seemed fine to me, but one question tripped me off. I would guess that folks will worse on this LG than they are expecting.
I have exactly the same feelings as you, and I believe I have the same sections as you too. I think the 1st (25Q) and 3rd(26) LR is of median difficulty, and the 2nd one is relatively easy. But LG is kinda weird for me, maybe they are too short, and I worry about this part the most, while people are all saying that LG this time is very easy.
Can I know your score range of your last exam? Because I am thinking whether to cancel the score this time.
There is no way I am cancelling, because I have never seen a valid argument for it anywhere. I expect a 164 to 168 on this exam, but if I got lucky on some guesses it could be 170+. Even if you have a 170 on record, get a 160 on this one, and then retake in December, that's certainly no reason to cancel thus score. Even if your goals are Yale or bust, there is no reason to cancel a score.
I had a cancel for June but that was because I had a panic attack in the middle of the reading comp section. I think there are legitimate reasons to cancel however I definitely don't think you should make that decision based on how you feel afterwards. Hang in there! 20 more days!

saf18hornet

Bronze

Post by saf18hornet » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:49 pm

icechicken wrote:
saf18hornet wrote:Even if your goals are Yale or bust, there is no reason to cancel a score.
Agreed, with one exception. I would only consider cancelling if some bona-fide disaster - forgetting to bubble in answers for an entire section, getting sick and having to leave midway through the test, etc., caused me to miss a dozen questions or more. If I were 100% certain that some kind of problem like that is going to tank my score into the 140s, I would cancel, because it'll make the inevitable addendum about whatever happened more believable and because the sitting is now thoroughly useless as a diagnostic tool.
An addendum for a cancel is the same as an addendum for, my score is 140 because I had a panic attack / misbubbled / shat myself during section 2. None are valid reasons to cancel.

icechicken

Bronze

Post by icechicken » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:14 pm

saf18hornet wrote:An addendum for a cancel is the same as an addendum for, my score is 140 because I had a panic attack / misbubbled / shat myself during section 2. None are valid reasons to cancel.
If you cancel, there's no chance of someone thinking that your explanation is post-hoc damage control. Heck, if you just cancel once and then get your target score on the 2nd take, you probably don't need an addendum at all -- the cancellation speaks for itself. Even if there's a only small possibility of a 140 hurting one's application it'd be nice not to have to worry, at all, about the optics of it during the emotionally-taxing process of retaking the LSAT and then writing a bunch of applications.

Meanwhile, there are no downsides I can think of to cancelling iff one is confident they scored terribly. Which ones are you concerned about?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sabraph

Bronze

Post by sabraph » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:21 pm

icechicken wrote:
saf18hornet wrote:An addendum for a cancel is the same as an addendum for, my score is 140 because I had a panic attack / misbubbled / shat myself during section 2. None are valid reasons to cancel.
If you cancel, there's no chance of someone thinking that your explanation is post-hoc damage control. Heck, if you just cancel once and then get your target score on the 2nd take, you probably don't need an addendum at all -- the cancellation speaks for itself. Even if there's a only small possibility of a 140 hurting one's application it'd be nice not to have to worry, at all, about the optics of it during the emotionally-taxing process of retaking the LSAT and then writing a bunch of applications.

Meanwhile, there are no downsides I can think of to cancelling iff one is confident they scored terribly. Which ones are you concerned about?
Yes to all of this ^. Generally applicants don't (and I won't) write an addendum for a single cancel. An addendum and a cancel are two completely different things. I would much prefer a cancel and a 170 than a 140 and a 170.

Barry grandpapy

Bronze

Post by Barry grandpapy » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:33 pm

Looks like we have a winner. I'll change the poll to the next poll suggestion

appind

Gold

Post by appind » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:45 pm

sabraph wrote:
icechicken wrote:

Yes to all of this ^. Generally applicants don't (and I won't) write an addendum for a single cancel. An addendum and a cancel are two completely different things. I would much prefer a cancel and a 170 than a 140 and a 170.
+1 imo a cancel is typically better than a low score as it shows self-awareness unless you are unsure how bad/good you did.

sev

Bronze

Post by sev » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:04 pm

Barry grandpapy wrote:Looks like we have a winner. I'll change the poll to the next poll suggestion
'twas a plurality. I'd say we need a runoff*.

*not a serious poll suggestion.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sodomojo

Bronze

Post by sodomojo » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:23 pm

appind wrote:
sabraph wrote:
icechicken wrote:

+1 imo a cancel is typically better than a low score as it shows self-awareness unless you are unsure how bad/good you did.
Aren't y'all overthinking it a little bit?

I mean yeah, technically speaking, you're probably right.

But what are the odds an admission decision comes down to between solely your 140/170 and another dude's cancel/170?

I suppose 140 is a little extreme, but I imagine the point is valid if there's a minute chance you did well and then end up with say a 150 or 160.

181plz

Bronze

Post by 181plz » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:00 pm

Checking in over here..

This was my 4th take. I've been wondering if I have the energy for a 5th one if I still don't make it. With that being said, I felt better about this test than any other one

Walliums

Silver

Post by Walliums » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:29 pm

Barry grandpapy wrote:Looks like we have a winner. I'll change the poll to the next poll suggestion
I was gonna suggest favorite halloween candy, but since it's still september, maybe your guilty pleasure "basic" fall item (e.g. Pumpkin Spice Latte, pumpkin bagel, caramel apple on a stick)

chewinggum

Bronze

Post by chewinggum » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:52 pm

Walliums wrote:
I was gonna suggest favorite halloween candy, but since it's still september, maybe your guilty pleasure "basic" fall item (e.g. Pumpkin Spice Latte, pumpkin bagel, caramel apple on a stick)
I second this!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

wmbuff

Bronze

Post by wmbuff » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:14 pm

chewinggum wrote:
Walliums wrote:
I second this!
Oktoberfest beer....
Last edited by wmbuff on Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barry grandpapy

Bronze

Post by Barry grandpapy » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:27 pm

wmbuff wrote:
chewinggum wrote:
Walliums wrote:
I second this!
Oktoberfest beer....
I'm thinking:
Oktoberfest
pumpkin spice
candy apples
that girl scout popcorn
cinnamon apple cider
candy apples
peanut brittle
campfire smores

ahh, fu$# I'm at a loss. I'm open to suggestions/revisions of this list :P

Walliums

Silver

Post by Walliums » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:08 pm

Barry grandpapy wrote:
wmbuff wrote:
chewinggum wrote:
Walliums wrote:
I second this!
Oktoberfest beer....
I'm thinking:
Oktoberfest beer
pumpkin spice
candy apples
that girl scout popcorn
cinnamon apple cider
pecan pie
peanut brittle
campfire smores

Swapped out one of the duplicate candy apples for pecan pie

april_ludgate

Bronze

Post by april_ludgate » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:25 pm

Walliums wrote:
Barry grandpapy wrote:
wmbuff wrote:
chewinggum wrote:
Walliums wrote:
I second this!
Oktoberfest beer....
I'm thinking:
Oktoberfest beer
pumpkin spice
candy apples
that girl scout popcorn
cinnamon apple cider
pecan pie
peanut brittle
campfire smores

halloween/halloween stuff maybe?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Barry grandpapy

Bronze

Post by Barry grandpapy » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:11 am

april_ludgate wrote:
Walliums wrote:
Barry grandpapy wrote:
wmbuff wrote:
chewinggum wrote:
Walliums wrote:
I second this!
Oktoberfest beer....
I'm thinking:
Oktoberfest beer
pumpkin spice
candy apples
that girl scout popcorn
cinnamon apple cider
pecan pie
peanut brittle
campfire smores

halloween/halloween stuff maybe?
drunk update

wmbuff

Bronze

Post by wmbuff » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:25 am

Well, I had my first disappointing score dream. Probably had something to do with my wife, cat, and dog conspiring to twist me into a pretzel while I slept.

saf18hornet

Bronze

Post by saf18hornet » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:39 am

sodomojo wrote:
appind wrote:
sabraph wrote:
icechicken wrote:

Aren't y'all overthinking it a little bit?

I mean yeah, technically speaking, you're probably right.

But what are the odds an admission decision comes down to between solely your 140/170 and another dude's cancel/170?

I suppose 140 is a little extreme, but I imagine the point is valid if there's a minute chance you did well and then end up with say a 150 or 160.
This is what I'm saying as the OP. Admissions officers on this site and elsewhere in their publishing's have said they treat them no differently. Cancel or low score.

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:20 am

Pumpkin spice is overrated

:roll:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Ntp73821

Silver

Post by Ntp73821 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:50 am

Mikey wrote:Pumpkin spice is overrated

Mikey. Take it back. :shock:
Last edited by Ntp73821 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:03 am

Ntp73821 wrote:

Mikey. Take it back. :shock:
no :oops:

OldSpeedoGuy

New

Post by OldSpeedoGuy » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:37 am

Fall is overrated

wmbuff

Bronze

Post by wmbuff » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:38 am

OldSpeedoGuy wrote: Fall is overrated
I bet you have air conditioning.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”