Anyone use Powerscore Bibles -- Experience? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
PaperChase1014

New

Anyone use Powerscore Bibles -- Experience?

Post by PaperChase1014 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:31 pm

Hey everyone --

Does anyone have any experience using the Powerscore Bibles? What was your diagnostic/final score? Did they help? Would you recommend them?

I'm looking to begin prepping for the LSAT. Many of my friends have recommended Powerscore and after checking out the books I think they seem pretty solid.

Took the June 2007 for my diagnostic and scored about a 150. I'm looking to improve to a 160 by December if possible. Do you guys think Powerscore Bibles are an effective way to reach that goal?

TYIA

Impressionist

Bronze

Re: Anyone use Powerscore Bibles -- Experience?

Post by Impressionist » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:17 pm

LG bible is excellent. Using it + 7sage videos was sufficient for me to become a consistent -0/-1 at LG. One piece of advice... for sequencing use 7sage's dash, not the stupid less than or greater than signs used in powerscore.

LR bible is quite good as well. Introduces you to every question type and gives you strategies to each with varying degrees of value. I def got more LR help outside this book but it is a great intro to LR.

RC was useless for me. No helpful tricks and uses a notation heavy approach which doesn't work for me.

PaperChase1014

New

Post by PaperChase1014 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:27 am

Impressionist wrote:LG bible is excellent. Using it + 7sage videos was sufficient for me to become a consistent -0/-1 at LG. One piece of advice... for sequencing use 7sage's dash, not the stupid less than or greater than signs used in powerscore.

LR bible is quite good as well. Introduces you to every question type and gives you strategies to each with varying degrees of value. I def got more LR help outside this book but it is a great intro to LR.

RC was useless for me. No helpful tricks and uses a notation heavy approach which doesn't work for me.
Thank you for your reply, Impressionist. I think PS LG Bible updated their notation strategy to include the dashes, though I'm not 100% sure.
I was perusing through a friend's 2015 Bible and saw those greater than/less than signs and those seemed more confusing.

TexasENG

Silver

Post by TexasENG » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:50 am

PaperChase1014 wrote:
Impressionist wrote:LG bible is excellent. Using it + 7sage videos was sufficient for me to become a consistent -0/-1 at LG. One piece of advice... for sequencing use 7sage's dash, not the stupid less than or greater than signs used in powerscore.

Thank you for your reply, Impressionist. I think PS LG Bible updated their notation strategy to include the dashes, though I'm not 100% sure.
I was perusing through a friend's 2015 Bible and saw those greater than/less than signs and those seemed more confusing.
I used all 3 powerscore bibles. Like the other poster said, LG was excellent. I was at -0 / -1 just after going through the bible. Also felt like LR was pretty good. RC was crap. I ended up using Manhattan for RC and it was much better.

PaperChase1014

New

Post by PaperChase1014 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:42 pm

TexasENG wrote:
PaperChase1014 wrote:

I used all 3 powerscore bibles. Like the other poster said, LG was excellent. I was at -0 / -1 just after going through the bible. Also felt like LR was pretty good. RC was crap. I ended up using Manhattan for RC and it was much better.
Awesome -- thank you so much!

Did you follow a study plan? Did you use the PS workbooks or anything else for drilling?

TYIA :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Jjbb938483

New

Post by Jjbb938483 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:41 am

The PowerScore series is great. The Logic Games Bible helped tremendously because they teach you to diagram things a little easier than some of the others I've seen. The Logical Reasoning one is good as well, mostly because it details each question type and shows you easier ways to rule out wrong answers/select right one. The Reading Comprehension Bible is decent. When I bought them it there wasn't a big price difference between buying the LG and LR separately versus buying the trilogy.

The PowerScore workbooks were much less helpful because I didn't have trouble remembering the diagraming techniques or recognizing question types. However if you have trouble diagraming the LG workbook may be worth it.

The main thing though is just finding a book/series and sticking with it. If you switch between PowerScore, Kaplan, Manhattan, etc you'll get confused because the techniques are often different. (Ps From what I hear Kaplan is awful).

Thesaurus

Silver

Post by Thesaurus » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:51 am

I used LG and LR PowerScore Bibles after I took the LSAT the first two times. LG was always my weakest section and that didn't change, but my score did go up. I didn't buy the RC Bible because a TLSer told me not to, and to use Manhattan RC instead.

TexasENG

Silver

Post by TexasENG » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:05 pm

PaperChase1014 wrote:
TexasENG wrote:
PaperChase1014 wrote:

Awesome -- thank you so much!

Did you follow a study plan? Did you use the PS workbooks or anything else for drilling?

TYIA :)
Sorry, just saw this, been in orientation all week. I was working full time (60-80 hours a week) so my time was a little odd for my studying. For drilling I used cambridge's questions banks (literally like every question from every lsat). I believe cambridge no longer sells this? I know they were talking about it going away due to some dispute with LSAC at the time.

For reference I started pretty high on my diagnostic (upper 160s) and went up to mid 170s on the LSAT. I think a lot of my improvement was just familiarity with the test.

Good luck with your prep.

pricon

Bronze

Post by pricon » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:14 pm

They were a great entry into the world of LSAT material.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”