How early is too early to prep? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
BlueDevil666

New

How early is too early to prep?

Post by BlueDevil666 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:09 pm

Hey TLS,

I have recently begun thinking about studying for the LSAT. I took a diagnostic and got a 162, which means I have a ways to go before I get to my target score area. I won't be able to take the test this year, as I will be abroad on a postgrad fellowship. My earliest test date would be September 2018 (likely applying that cycle). I bought some prep materials and have been thinking about getting started as I have a bunch of free time this summer, and I'm not sure what next summer will look like for me. Is it too early to start prep for the LSAT, given that it's over a year away? Will any gains I make now be lost over the next year?

Thanks!

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Re: How early is too early to prep?

Post by Mint-Berry_Crunch » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:12 pm

Never too early

It's about quality not quantity tho

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:12 pm

BlueDevil666 wrote:Hey TLS,

I have recently begun thinking about studying for the LSAT. I took a diagnostic and got a 162, which means I have a ways to go before I get to my target score area. I won't be able to take the test this year, as I will be abroad on a postgrad fellowship. My earliest test date would be September 2018 (likely applying that cycle). I bought some prep materials and have been thinking about getting started as I have a bunch of free time this summer, and I'm not sure what next summer will look like for me. Is it too early to start prep for the LSAT, given that it's over a year away? Will any gains I make now be lost over the next year?

Thanks!
Not sure if you can really start too early, but with that diagnostic you could realistically be ready for September/December/February of this cycle and they do administer the LSAT abroad, so this could be an option.

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:53 pm

With a 162, you're probably starting too early IMHO. If you can keep consistent through the next year or so, then yeah, it's worth it to start now. But if you're going to study for 2 months, take two months off, etc. then I would just wait until about 6 months out and hit it hard.

Not a bad idea to at least familiarize yourself with the test format and questions, and if you feel so inclined, do some LG practice, as I think that is likely to stick a little better than LR or RC. Honestly though, just spend the next 6 months reading dense material and staying mentally engaged. Being a fast reader is pretty much a necessity, so if you're not a big reader, I would work on that.

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:03 pm

Platopus wrote:With a 162, you're probably starting too early IMHO. If you can keep consistent through the next year or so, then yeah, it's worth it to start now. But if you're going to study for 2 months, take two months off, etc. then I would just wait until about 6 months out and hit it hard.

Not a bad idea to at least familiarize yourself with the test format and questions, and if you feel so inclined, do some LG practice, as I think that is likely to stick a little better than LR or RC. Honestly though, just spend the next 6 months reading dense material and staying mentally engaged. Being a fast reader is pretty much a necessity, so if you're not a big reader, I would work on that.
OP do this. When you start studying, it should be for the long haul/consistent until your target take day. You'll see better returns on that, and with a short time frame, you should find that you are better able to motivate yourself to buckle down and study even when you don't feel like it.

Also read hard stuff. Get used to reading hard things for structure/opinion. That and maybe do sudoku/number games/brain teasers. All of those cognitive linking skills will be helpful in some way once you get to the actual test

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:07 pm

Future Ex-Engineer wrote: That and maybe do sudoku/number games/brain teasers. All of those cognitive linking skills will be helpful in some way once you get to the actual test
2nd this, I was really big into chess before studying, and I think doing 150+ chess puzzles a day definitely helped with LG. Pure pattern recognition.

lillelord

New

Post by lillelord » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:08 pm

BlueDevil666 wrote:Hey TLS,

Thanks!
Hey, started right around where you're at ~march of 2015, I went from a raw diagnostic of ~155 to a diagnostic hovering around 174-178 depending on the test in those couple years, and invested only about 25-50 bucks into it. echoing other people in the thread, it's never too early to start PT'ing, but you have to organize what you tackle. I would suggest starting with LG mastery, it's the most visually interesting, shortest section, and people generally memorize how to do formal logic games in such a way that they can come back to them after a time and immediately remember how to diagram and infer.

Also, you're going to want to start going to your schools library and reading the Science section of The Economist (not skimming, reading intently, I know, it sucks.) This sets up a really good ability to follow the more difficult RC's.

Finally, and this is one of the most important parts, in a few months you should order Logic Reasoning Bible, you can get a used or earlier year copy because the logical reasoning section doesn't really change.

Also UTILIZE PITHYPIKE'S 180 POSTS.

Good luck on your future LSAT prep, m8. :D

Walliums

Silver

Post by Walliums » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:18 pm

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:Never too early

It's about quality not quantity tho
Well except for the people who post on here their freshman year asking if they should start studying even though they plan on taking their junior year.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”