Any way to know which is the experimental section? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Larrymitchell808

New

Any way to know which is the experimental section?

Post by Larrymitchell808 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:34 pm

Is it true that the experimental section is always one of the first 3 sections?
Last edited by Larrymitchell808 on Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

xn3345

New

Re: Any way to know which is the experimental section?

Post by xn3345 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:35 pm

No

stego

Platinum

Post by stego » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:36 pm

No, I don't think that's true. No, you shouldn't peek at the later sections. No, you can't assume that. Just try your best on every section.

Po$eidon

Bronze

Post by Po$eidon » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:28 pm

Larrymitchell808 wrote:I'm sure we've all thought of this, is it true that the experimental section is always one of the first 3 sections? If yes then if I peek at the last 2 sections and see a RC or LG can I safely assume the RC or LG in the first 3 is the experimental?

You will kicked out of the testing center and every law school will be informed that you're a cheater if you 'peek'
Last edited by Po$eidon on Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

roflsat

New

Post by roflsat » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:32 pm

Related question: most of the individual PrepTests have a table of contents at the start showing which section is which (not experimental vs. not, but whether each is LG, LR, or RC). I'm assuming there's nothing like that on the real test?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:32 pm

Also it's not true that the experimental section is only in the first three sections. That used to be the case many, many years ago, but not anymore.

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:05 pm

Last edited by Alexandros on Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:28 pm

roflsat wrote:Related question: most of the individual PrepTests have a table of contents at the start showing which section is which (not experimental vs. not, but whether each is LG, LR, or RC). I'm assuming there's nothing like that on the real test?
You are correct, there is not. (I mean....otherwise no one would do the section and would just take a mental break....wouldn't be much of an experiment)

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Post by MediocreAtBest » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:24 pm

Might want to delete your post

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:57 pm

My mentor took the LSAT way back when the sections were constantly changing. He saw a section type that he had never seen before so he took a 35 minute nap guessing it was the experimental, and he was right. Doing something like this now is nearly impossible, there's no way to determine in a short time that a section is experimental unless you see something that is 100% not LR, RC or LG. But the odds of that happening are slim to none.

Neil_Gorsuch

New

Post by Neil_Gorsuch » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:12 am

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:My mentor took the LSAT way back when the sections were constantly changing. He saw a section type that he had never seen before so he took a 35 minute nap guessing it was the experimental, and he was right. Doing something like this now is nearly impossible, there's no way to determine in a short time that a section is experimental unless you see something that is 100% not LR, RC or LG. But the odds of that happening are slim to none.
If you see that section on the upcoming exam with high-school level geometry and algebra - pilot for full content merger with GRE - it's a pretty safe bet that you can skip.

Lexigator

New

Post by Lexigator » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:16 am

Neil_Gorsuch wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:My mentor took the LSAT way back when the sections were constantly changing. He saw a section type that he had never seen before so he took a 35 minute nap guessing it was the experimental, and he was right. Doing something like this now is nearly impossible, there's no way to determine in a short time that a section is experimental unless you see something that is 100% not LR, RC or LG. But the odds of that happening are slim to none.
If you see that section on the upcoming exam with high-school level geometry and algebra - pilot for full content merger with GRE - it's a pretty safe bet that you can skip.
Lol

dm1683

Silver

Post by dm1683 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:46 pm

Po$eidon wrote:
Larrymitchell808 wrote:I'm sure we've all thought of this, is it true that the experimental section is always one of the first 3 sections? If yes then if I peek at the last 2 sections and see a RC or LG can I safely assume the RC or LG in the first 3 is the experimental?

You will kicked out of the testing center and ever law school will be informed that you're a cheater if you 'peek'
I bet there have been cases of people with fat fingers flipping to the wrong page. I wonder if they kick them out.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Neil_Gorsuch

New

Post by Neil_Gorsuch » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:10 pm

dm1683 wrote:
Po$eidon wrote:

You will kicked out of the testing center and ever law school will be informed that you're a cheater if you 'peek'
I bet there have been cases of people with fat fingers flipping to the wrong page. I wonder if they kick them out.
They don't.

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:35 pm

Last edited by Alexandros on Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Larrymitchell808

New

Post by Larrymitchell808 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:26 pm

Alexandros wrote:
Neil_Gorsuch wrote:
dm1683 wrote:
Po$eidon wrote:

They don't.
Wouldn't assume so. I know people who were kicked out for fairly minor things.
Friend of mine got chucked bc mid section he got thirsty and out of habit took a sip from his water bottle and going...Going... GONEEEEE!

MangoPapi

New

Post by MangoPapi » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:58 pm

Larrymitchell808 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
Neil_Gorsuch wrote:
dm1683 wrote:
Po$eidon wrote:

They don't.
Wouldn't assume so. I know people who were kicked out for fairly minor things.
Friend of mine got chucked bc mid section he got thirsty and out of habit took a sip from his water bottle and going...Going... GONEEEEE!
You can't drink water while writing the lsat? :shock: :shock:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Neil_Gorsuch

New

Post by Neil_Gorsuch » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:17 am

Last edited by Neil_Gorsuch on Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

34iplaw

Gold

Post by 34iplaw » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:44 am

Much like men's suiting, you can do the pinch and roll test to determine the fake section from the real McCoy.

On the top of each section, there are several shapes with numbers on them. Between the center and rightmost number, gently roll the paper between your fingers and pinch the two sides and carefully pull them apart. As it separates, you should be able to feel a thin third layer that appears to be floating between the two layers in your fingers. If you feel no such layer, it's a fake section. Fill all E's and enjoy your break. You beat the system. Suck it LSAC. If you feel such a layer, get to work; it's the real deal. The reason for this is LSAC is trying to save money. They print the fake sections on lesser paper that is simply fused, or glued, together. It lasts far less time and doesn't fall as nicely on the desk. For the real sections, they do not hold back. They use paper painstakingly crafted by professionally trained Italian paper makers that hang a third layer to give the paper more heft and a nicer drape on the desk.

I hope that helps.

BruiseWillis

Bronze

Post by BruiseWillis » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:26 am

34iplaw wrote:Much like men's suiting, you can do the pinch and roll test to determine the fake section from the real McCoy.

On the top of each section, there are several shapes with numbers on them. Between the center and rightmost number, gently roll the paper between your fingers and pinch the two sides and carefully pull them apart. As it separates, you should be able to feel a thin third layer that appears to be floating between the two layers in your fingers. If you feel no such layer, it's a fake section. Fill all E's and enjoy your break. You beat the system. Suck it LSAC. If you feel such a layer, get to work; it's the real deal. The reason for this is LSAC is trying to save money. They print the fake sections on lesser paper that is simply fused, or glued, together. It lasts far less time and doesn't fall as nicely on the desk. For the real sections, they do not hold back. They use paper painstakingly crafted by professionally trained Italian paper makers that hang a third layer to give the paper more heft and a nicer drape on the desk.

I hope that helps.

Larrymitchell808

New

Post by Larrymitchell808 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:55 am

34iplaw wrote:Much like men's suiting, you can do the pinch and roll test to determine the fake section from the real McCoy.

I hope that helps.
You will go far in life my friend.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Pozzo

Gold

Post by Pozzo » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:06 am

I hope that helps.
At first, I was upset to see that this thread was still going. Then I read this, and all has been redeemed.

34iplaw

Gold

Post by 34iplaw » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:13 am

@Pozzo/Willis, always glad to brighten your day.

@Mitchell, I appreciate the sentiment! That said, I think you have your answer. The only way to 'know' what sections count (I don't know if order typically allows for this and I'm not sure it was mentioned here) is once you know what type of section was fake... i.e if one and three (or one and two) are both LG or RC, you know everything else is real. That's about all you can do.

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:28 am

I had an exp games section that I knew was experimental because all the games were the same easy type (simple linear ordering). There's no way they would put together a real section that was THAT easy. I was right, it was experimental, but knowing that didn't help me at all: I still needed to do as well as I could on that section because if it happened to be real it would be among the easiest games sections ever given and would have probably one of the most harshly curved LSATs because of it. You need to kill at 5 sections and move along.

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:33 am

guybourdin wrote:I had an exp games section that I knew was experimental because all the games were the same easy type (simple linear ordering). There's no way they would put together a real section that was THAT easy. I was right, it was experimental, but knowing that didn't help me at all: I still needed to do as well as I could on that section because if it happened to be real it would be among the easiest games sections ever given and would have probably one of the most harshly curved LSATs because of it. You need to kill at 5 sections and move along.
I had a ridiculously hard LG section as section 2 on the Dec16 test. It almost made me want to cancel mid-test (still finished it, but LG I'm usually done in 23-25 minutes). Then I got to another LG on section 5 (the real one) and blew it away. I should have known it would be experimental. That tough one threw me on sections 3/4 though :(

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”