Exhausted PTs but taking June Test. Suggestions? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
universe112

New

Exhausted PTs but taking June Test. Suggestions?

Post by universe112 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:41 am

I took the February exam and got a 172 but am taking it again in June. 172 was on the lower end of my PT range so I'm pretty confident I can improve. However, I've used (nearly) all of the publicly available LSAT tests. I've read some suggestions here and there for ways to address this but nothing too persuasive. Is this really a significant problem? I don't consciously remember the answers to questions when I run across them again, but I guess it's an unconscious thing? How much should I scale back my scores on these PTs in order to get an accurate sense of where I am?

AJordan

Silver

Re: Exhausted PTs but taking June Test. Suggestions?

Post by AJordan » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:08 am

Do you have some sort of database of your missed questions? Focusing on lessons learned from those likely helps more than retaking full tests? Possibly? 172 low end likely needs very little meta prep. You really are looking at 3ish questions for improvement. Maintaining and regressing to the mean is a worst case scenario. Learning one or two lessons from previous errors likely helps you get there as well.
Last edited by AJordan on Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

pretzeltime

Gold

Post by pretzeltime » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:55 am

I don't think you'll be able to get a truly accurate sense as far as the scores you get. I mean, you should be getting 177+accordingto your PT range. But you can make it a bit more challenging by taking the sections in ~30-33 minutes, doing 6 section PTs, etc.

There is something subconscious, especially with the games. Not so much about remembering specific questions as having general familiarity with games/RC. In fact, when I remembered specific LR questions I'd often remember the answers I got wrong rather than right and/or second guess myself, so I think I did worse on those.

Walliums

Silver

Post by Walliums » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:07 am

Don't think there is anything wrong with retaking those PTs. Try to start with the earliest ones that you did.

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:43 pm

Since you really don't have any viable alternatives, you might as well use previous PT's again. Obviously, this should be taken into consideration when calculating your score, but just because you've seen it before, it doesn't mean that you remember the specific AC. The practice of going through the logical reasoning is worth it - especially for LG. Remembering the specific AC is cheating, remembering the set up or the logical reasoning of the question isn't (to a degree). So, roughly determine how many questions you specifically remember the correct AC for and see what you % correct would be if you didn't account for these questions. Cut down your timing accordingly based on the average number of questions you specifically remember per section. Keep in mind you likely reviewed (and thus are more likely to remember) the most difficult questions, which probably took more time than the average question on your first go around. So if you usually remember 5 questions per section, and these were the hardest (let's say 2 min each q) then you should be aiming for 25-27 minutes on the balance.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”