The Official September 2017 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Are you ready for tomorrow?!?!?!

FUCK YES
40%
Yeah, kind of
16%
Ehh, hoping for the best
14%
Not prepared but screw it
6%
HAHAHA I'M NOT EVEN TAKING THE LSAT, SUCKS FOR YOU GUYS
24%

Total votes: 50

twiix

Silver

Re: The Official September 2017 Study Group

Post by twiix » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:12 pm

34iplaw wrote:
TWiiX wrote:Does anyone actively trade stock? Looking for friends to yolotrade with. I'm in a particularly ambitious mood and feel like day trading to see what happens.
Eh - I do a few trades a year... mostly reinvesting distributions. I'd be interested in trading with a sidepot.
34 - I've been looking into JD/MBA programs. It's weird how some schools have integrated applications while others are completely separate. Also strange how some require only GMAT scores, some are only LSAT, and some require both. If I kill the LSAT in September I might study for the GMAT and see if I can manage a super quick turnaround. Too bad there isnt a site like Lawschoolnumbers for MBA's..

abujabal

Bronze

Post by abujabal » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:26 pm

TWiiX wrote:
34iplaw wrote:
TWiiX wrote:Does anyone actively trade stock? Looking for friends to yolotrade with. I'm in a particularly ambitious mood and feel like day trading to see what happens.
Eh - I do a few trades a year... mostly reinvesting distributions. I'd be interested in trading with a sidepot.
34 - I've been looking into JD/MBA programs. It's weird how some schools have integrated applications while others are completely separate. Also strange how some require only GMAT scores, some are only LSAT, and some require both. If I kill the LSAT in September I might study for the GMAT and see if I can manage a super quick turnaround. Too bad there isnt a site like Lawschoolnumbers for MBA's..
What the hell does one do exactly with a JD/MBA? I'm confused by it tbh, but also simultaneously looking into it? Is it an option to get both and retain the ability to do either?

34iplaw

Gold

Post by 34iplaw » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:29 pm

TWiiX wrote:
34iplaw wrote:
MBA admissions aren't as number driven as JDs. On the sufficient/necessary scale, numbers are closer to sufficient for LS whereas they are necessary for MBAs.

I think most of the top programs aren't integrated with each other in regards to admissions (which, personally, I find *super* weird given how much they emphasize something being interdisciplinary.) You can probably do the GRE instead. I'm currently studying for the GRE and GMAT (sort of) since they tend to overlap a good bit.

34iplaw

Gold

Post by 34iplaw » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:39 pm

abujabal wrote:
What the hell does one do exactly with a JD/MBA? I'm confused by it tbh, but also simultaneously looking into it? Is it an option to get both and retain the ability to do either?
Personally, I'm in kind of in an unusual situation, but I can discuss via PM.

To me, I understand the actual advantage is somewhat nebulous and hard to quantify. Personally, I don't intend to pursue one outside of three-year programs. That leaves Columbia, Cornell, Penn, Northwestern, and Yale. My personal ranking of these would be (excluding Yale b/c it would never be an option) Penn>Columbia~Northwestern>Cornell.

twiix

Silver

Post by twiix » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:19 pm

34iplaw wrote:
TWiiX wrote:
34iplaw wrote:
MBA admissions aren't as number driven as JDs. On the sufficient/necessary scale, numbers are closer to sufficient for LS whereas they are necessary for MBAs.

I think most of the top programs aren't integrated with each other in regards to admissions (which, personally, I find *super* weird given how much they emphasize something being interdisciplinary.) You can probably do the GRE instead. I'm currently studying for the GRE and GMAT (sort of) since they tend to overlap a good bit.
I would totally consider it if I had time in my cycle. I really, REALLY want to be starting in Fall of 2018. If I sit for September and do well enough, that leaves a very small window to study and take the GMAT/GRE. Probably not gonna work out unless I follow through with all of my LS apps first.. and then once I get all of those taken care of hope to reach the spring admission window for the B-school.

Heh, here I go getting ahead of myself again. time to return to my lsat studies

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

34iplaw

Gold

Post by 34iplaw » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:24 pm

TWiiX wrote:
34iplaw wrote:
TWiiX wrote:
34iplaw wrote:

I would totally consider it if I had time in my cycle. I really, REALLY want to be starting in Fall of 2018. If I sit for September and do well enough, that leaves a very small window to study and take the GMAT/GRE. Probably not gonna work out unless I follow through with all of my LS apps first.. and then once I get all of those taken care of hope to reach the spring admission window for the B-school.

You can always apply as a 1L, but you should not do that if you are 100% set on a JD/MBA

twiix

Silver

Post by twiix » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:12 pm

34iplaw wrote:
TWiiX wrote:
34iplaw wrote:
TWiiX wrote:
34iplaw wrote:

You can always apply as a 1L, but you should not do that if you are 100% set on a JD/MBA
I wouldn't say I'm set on it by any means. I just really like school, and learning things. I would be a student my entire life if it paid the bills. I think it would open doors that would benefit me down the road, and if I'm already taking time off work to go back to school, may as well knock em both out at the same time.

I think the biggest thing would be the cost of doing a joint program.. I doubt my scholarship offers will be great as it is for LS alone, let alone another 150k that needs funding through Bschool.

34iplaw

Gold

Post by 34iplaw » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:19 pm

TWiiX wrote: I wouldn't say I'm set on it by any means. I just really like school, and learning things. I would be a student my entire life if it paid the bills. I think it would open doors that would benefit me down the road, and if I'm already taking time off work to go back to school, may as well knock em both out at the same time.

I think the biggest thing would be the cost of doing a joint program.. I doubt my scholarship offers will be great as it is for LS alone, let alone another 150k that needs funding through Bschool.
I think you'd be better off doing a different joint degree if you were interested in school and learning things than a JD/MBA, IMO... like a JD+field of interest.

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:24 pm

34iplaw wrote:
TWiiX wrote: I wouldn't say I'm set on it by any means. I just really like school, and learning things. I would be a student my entire life if it paid the bills. I think it would open doors that would benefit me down the road, and if I'm already taking time off work to go back to school, may as well knock em both out at the same time.

I think you'd be better off doing a different joint degree if you were interested in school and learning things than a JD/MBA, IMO... like a JD+field of interest.
Schools also usually allow you to take a number of non-law elective credits as part of your law degree.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

twiix

Silver

Post by twiix » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:02 pm

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/4'sup (last year's cycle)
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/4'sup1 (this year's cycle)

Perfect proof of why you should apply early in the cycle. Huge difference in outcome

twiix

Silver

Post by twiix » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:03 pm

34iplaw wrote:

Well I think the content of an MBA is interesting. I covered econ briefly in my UG (engineering) but not to the extent that I would have liked. I don't think I would lose out on anything by choosing to go that route. But I do see your point.

dj9i27

Gold

Post by dj9i27 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:10 pm

TWiiX wrote:http://lawschoolnumbers.com/4'sup (last year's cycle)

Perfect proof of why you should apply early in the cycle. Huge difference in outcome
Common knowledge:
Before Halloween is supir early
Before Thanksgiving is early
Before Christmas is on time
After NYE is late
After Valentines Day
[+] Spoiler
lmao no
Also I am giving myself a confidence boost and saying he didn't write a Stanny specific PS

abujabal

Bronze

Post by abujabal » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:17 pm

So on that note, let's say I take September and don't need/want to retake. Means I get my scores back in early/mid October right? Sooo how ASAP should I be turning around my apps? I'm assuming I should use those 3 weeks before getting scores to finish off as much as I can, but how fried am I if I submit in, say November or early December? Trying to get accepted with money at UW, so that's a fun one. < Don't quote please

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dj9i27

Gold

Post by dj9i27 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:20 pm

abujabal wrote:

ase
Scores should be around the 2nd week of October, my early speculation is the 10th (last year test 24/skoars 19).
If you are splitsville like me, get them out asap. PS you can work on daily until Gray Day and get your lors lined up over the summer

abujabal

Bronze

Post by abujabal » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:24 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
abujabal wrote:

ase
Scores should be around the 2nd week of October, my early speculation is the 10th (last year test 24/skoars 19).
If you are splitsville like me, get them out asap. PS you can work on daily until Gray Day and get your lors lined up over the summer
Just saw your dates post. Yeah splitsville hopefully. Though if I get an LSAT that isn't splitsville, then it's wait until December. Or maybe June for the next cycle? Raises the stakes at some level for September, but I feel like if I can get about 170 consistently then I should be fine. Moneywise who the hell knows.

This is dumb, but what's Gray Day?

34iplaw

Gold

Post by 34iplaw » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:26 pm

abujabal wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
abujabal wrote:

ase
Just saw your dates post. Yeah splitsville hopefully. Though if I get an LSAT that isn't splitsville, then it's wait until December. Or maybe June for the next cycle? Raises the stakes at some level for September, but I feel like if I can get about 170 consistently then I should be fine. Moneywise who the hell knows.

The worst.

34iplaw

Gold

Post by 34iplaw » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:27 pm

TWiiX wrote: Well I think the content of an MBA is interesting. I covered econ briefly in my UG (engineering) but not to the extent that I would have liked. I don't think I would lose out on anything by choosing to go that route. But I do see your point.
Fair enough. I suppose I'm a bit jaded against 'business' curriculum despite doing, more or less, a 'business/finance' major.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dj9i27

Gold

Post by dj9i27 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:30 pm

abujabal wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
abujabal wrote:

ase

Yep shoot for before Halloween and maybe work a little on your PS now (I've been hating mine as of late and have been trying a Why X and Stanny specific ones). Even if you have a good gpa and lsat combo it's best to have a solid app out early so you have time to negotiate and review options so you aren't sitting a year from now in a panic. money wise early apps give you a huge edge in negotiations (which I am banking on incase no H or S acceptance).

Gray Day is a colloquisim around here which indicates the LSAC is releasing scores. There are green icons with each section and they'll turn gray when scores will be emailed. Get ready for restless leg syndrome, constant refreshing, board crashes and overall super fucking anxiety.

oopsu812

Silver

Post by oopsu812 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:31 pm

I'd do a JD/MPP or MPA if I knew what I'd do with it, lulz. :lol:

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:31 pm

dj9i27 wrote:

Common knowledge:
After NYE is late
After Valentines Day
[+] Spoiler
lmao no
Also I am giving myself a confidence boost and saying he didn't write a Stanny specific PS
I'm already looking forward to telling my grandchildren about how I got dinged from Stanny because of yield protection.

34iplaw

Gold

Post by 34iplaw » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:32 pm

oopsu812 wrote:I'd do a JD/MPP or MPA if I knew what I'd do with it, lulz. :lol:
MPA?
[youtube]R0NpahenvAg[/youtube]

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:33 pm

abujabal wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
abujabal wrote:

ase

[youtube]U354yNWgEC0[/youtube]
(shamelessly stolen from DJ)

oopsu812

Silver

Post by oopsu812 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:34 pm

34iplaw wrote:
oopsu812 wrote:I'd do a JD/MPP or MPA if I knew what I'd do with it, lulz. :lol:
MPA?
Public Admin, but I'd much prefer public policy or even international affairs to that.

ETA: That's bad rap right there.

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:37 pm

oopsu812 wrote:
34iplaw wrote:
MPA?
Public Admin, but I'd much prefer public policy or even international affairs to that.
I'd be lying if I said I hadn't seriously looked into H's MPP in international & global affairs. Def wouldn't get in tho. :/

dj9i27

Gold

Post by dj9i27 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:38 pm

Alexandros wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

Common knowledge:
After NYE is late
After Valentines Day
[+] Spoiler
lmao no
I'm already looking forward to telling my grandchildren about how I got dinged from Stanny because of yield protection.
I'll be giving a stern talking to my grandvbbies about never going into stem and majoring in "Babies First Mathing." So they may go to S.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”