Retake tips/suggestions? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
applepiecrust

Bronze

Retake tips/suggestions?

Post by applepiecrust » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:04 pm

Due to a hectic schedule, I will not be able to start my prep for the February retake until after December 20th.
I had a 168 on the previous administration, which was SIGNIFICANTLY below my PT average of 174.

Does anyone here have tips on how to re-prep for the LSAT given the time constraints, and that I will be in school full-time most of January? I really need to score at least over 172 for the retake to be meaningful in any significant way.

If you have re-prep strategies that worked for you from experience, I would appreciate that very much.

My dream schools are NYU and Columbia, and my LSDAS GPA is 3.6 (Of course, would've loved to have a fighting chance at H and Y as well, but my GPA is too low for them, I know).

kkklick

Silver

Re: Retake tips/suggestions?

Post by kkklick » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:16 pm

I have a good one, I was practicing 167 range before June and October, but before December moved up to 173-176 range. I found that going through the 40+ preptests was huge in terms of unlocking LR, and more exposure to RC passages helped me identify important points such as passage type (straight info, one side of argument, or 2 competing arguments), as well as the type of questions they ask. Some may say the jump in PT's was because I remembered the questions, while I did, whenever I got an answer correct I previously got wrong, I understood why the right answer was the right one which is a priceless asset.

You shouldn't have to do too much if your PT's were already high. Just go over old/new tests and get back in game shape. Don't neglect the older tests as well, as many will tell you by doing that the games sections which was similar to older tests will hurt your score.

wsjch05

New

Post by wsjch05 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:15 pm

Dunno if timing's an issue for you but, if you are trying to land a mid-high 170's

i suggest you consider doing 30 minute/section when you do your pt's... (it's been recommended here b4, i believe...)

I tried this preparing for my retake in Dec, and I could finish just about every section in time

except for some tough RC's... ( i only did full 5-section exams though, no section drills)

Writing the real thing on saturday, I still felt rushed near the end, had barely finished the last question with no time to spare

for both LR's. Made me realize how much difference test day nerves can make, and I don't consider myself to be a choker....

considering the fact that I had already been scoring consistently in mid-high 170's for my PT's coming up to my first October

exam in which I ran out of time for almost every section, ended up cancelling, I think 30min/section strategy helped me out

immensely with my time-management skills.

applepiecrust

Bronze

Post by applepiecrust » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:43 pm

Thanks; I forgot I'd made this thread earlier.

Any suggestions on material other than PTs that might help?
I worked through the LRB and LGB for my first take, but that was about it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”