Where are you studying? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Where are you studying?

At home
29%
At the library
23%
At a coffee shop
19%
Elsewhere
3%
Overly quiet
13%
Overly distracting
13%

Total votes: 31

jpSartre

Bronze

Where are you studying?

Post by jpSartre » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:30 am

Just thought I'd see what everyone's doing as far as study location goes. I'm mainly studying at home, but I've got a busy street and plenty of buses going by my apartment every 10 minutes to focus on tuning out distraction. Any thoughts on studying in an overly quiet environment vs. and overly loud one? I think an overly loud one would just impair my ability to learn and absorb the material, and I think it's more important to learn, even in an artificially quite place, than be bombarded with distractions every time I practice and miss strategic clues for future problems. Any thoughts?

Vote for two options, once out of the first 4 and once out of the last 2, if you please.

James Bond

Gold

Re: Where are you studying?

Post by James Bond » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:31 am

At home, but only because the library is inconvenient. I'd much rather be at the library.

ShibaDan

Bronze

Post by ShibaDan » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:32 am

I think the library is a good place because there are some small distractions people getting up, sneezing, some outside noise. Plus you are around a bunch of other people. For these reasons I think it is most similar to test taking days. I took the lsat last sept FWIW.

am060459

Silver

Post by am060459 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:33 am

its to hard to study at home for me. got to many distractions. at my school library its quiet and im in an environment that promotes studying.

kazu

Gold

Post by kazu » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:30 am

Most of the time I studied in a coffee shop that was pretty busy and noisy. I found that after a while tuning out the noises/distractions became nearly automatic. I definitely think this helped when I took the actual test, other people in the room were complaining about noise from pipes but it didn't bother me at all. I even didn't notice that 2 people left (and one person had been sitting right to my front / left!) during the first section until I looked up when they called the section over.

It's good to be in an environment that promotes studying, but you also need to remember that if you're unlucky you might be taking the test in an extremely loud environment... people on TLS have talked about construction going on outside, children being really noisy due to a nearby playground, as well as the usual person with a severe head cold noise etc. I made sure that I could concentrate even in a fairly noisy environment, and as a result that was one less thing to worry about on test day.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”