In need of some serious LG help..... Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
ps494

Bronze

In need of some serious LG help.....

Post by ps494 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:05 pm

What is the best strategy for improving LG scores? I realize that I should be doing as many games as possible, but should I also be reviewing them as extensively as LR?

BruceBarr

Bronze

Re: In need of some serious LG help.....

Post by BruceBarr » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:08 pm

some people say acupuncture... some say study.

just study...

...lots.

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:10 pm

ps494 wrote:What is the best strategy for improving LG scores? I realize that I should be doing as many games as possible, but should I also be reviewing them as extensively as LR?
What, if anything, have you read to learn about approaching/attacking the LG? I am only halfway through the PS LG Bible and am amazed!!!

And yes you should be reviewing as much as LR. Its very important to look at the games you are answering incorrectly and examining why you chose wrong and why the correct answer is right.

ZombiesAhead

New

Post by ZombiesAhead » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:23 pm

As far as I'm concerned, if you're decently intelligent and you are not getting -2/-3 on LG, you should focus all your time picking up those points because they will come much faster than LR or RC points. I didn't really believe this myself when I was -12 but it worked for me, and I've seen it happen to others.

This is especially true if LSAC keeps throwing us these "meatballs" (easy pitches - I looked it up) of LG sections.

ps494

Bronze

Post by ps494 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:40 pm

ZombiesAhead wrote:As far as I'm concerned, if you're decently intelligent and you are not getting -2/-3 on LG, you should focus all your time picking up those points because they will come much faster than LR or RC points. I didn't really believe this myself when I was -12 but it worked for me, and I've seen it happen to others.

This is especially true if LSAC keeps throwing us these "meatballs" (easy pitches - I looked it up) of LG sections.

Yes, that's what I've been doing. My problem right now is that my LG scores are VERY sporadic - sometimes I'll get -3 and other times -10. Basically I want to get more consistent, but it seems like I hit a brick wall. There is no reason, in my opinion, for anyone to get more than -5 on LG.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ixkofm

New

Post by ixkofm » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:54 pm

I scored a 167 with a -1 on LG. It started out as my worst section, but once i figured it out I would get from -0 to -2 on pt with them. My best advice is figure out a diagram that allows you to attack every game with the same basic design. When reading the super prep and kaplan books it felt like they had me doing a different diagram for every single game, but once i came up with one that worked for everything i would fly through the section and do really well. Not sure if this helps, but figure out a diagram that you automatically go to as soon as you have read the question without having to think about it and you will save time and be much more efficient, plus with logic games you can always check your answers, so you really should try and gather all those points!

ZombiesAhead

New

Post by ZombiesAhead » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:11 pm

ixkofm wrote:My best advice is figure out a diagram that allows you to attack every game with the same basic design
Whatever you're doing is working. This sounds like a way-radical idea - like a single mathematical formula to describe the whole universe. Willing to share this?

knola002

Bronze

Post by knola002 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:19 pm

One tip: do earlier games, they are more difficult. I slammed my head in the book and cried during one of the 30s, but damned if I wasn't ready come September. I also kept a journal of mistakes I had made, what type of game, what type of questions, possible reasons why.

ixkofm

New

Post by ixkofm » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:46 pm

You know I would love to share this with everyone lol and I'm gonna try, but i'm limited as to how well I can explain this over this forum. Here goes:

Im going to be using prep test 53 as my example. I ended up with a -1 on it and finished it in 32:46 (I kept track on every game I did). Fom the looks of my work I had to stray from *one* diagram, but they are both inherently the same in my opinion.

Questions 1-5 (-0)

my diagram has the three agencies (FPS) at the top and underneath them is a grid allowing for me to put the performers (xtwyz) in boxes.

Questions 6-11 (-0)

I am using the same grid, but with 1-6 at the top once again with spaces to fill in the architects (pmjlgv). I noticed that under this one i only have 4 lines fully filled out between 1-6 and most of my lines have anywhere from 1-3 architects listed and this proved sufficent to ace this section.

Questions 12-17 (-0)

Once again same grid with 1-7 at the top and a grid that allows me to put the seven suspects underneath. As a suggestion for this one and all logic games, make sure to put your definite rules in at the begining of each question ie. You know T is day 3 so all the way down I have T under 3. This is probly the best advice I have *Do not overlook the rules given at the begining and while working try and make the connection of what they mean for you in this game.

Questions 18-23 (-1 Question 20)

Here my basic grid changes a little, but if you notice minus theLetters in the first one and numbers in second and thrid at the top I have used the exact same diagram for 17 questions and this last section I believe took up the majority of my time so on to it and its nuances. My diagram has team location at the top (FGH) in that order throughout and underneath I have 2 blanks in under each letter box to put in the members (nmrspt). For this particular game I had to make 11 different attempts if you will aka grid lines so i rewrote it like 5 times and was able to do1-3 lines under each FGH heading.

Once again the same basic principle just with 2 spots under every individual header. I hope this helps and doesnt confuse you, but like i said LG was my worst section and once I felt confident that I was suing the write diagram it proved to be one of the main factors in my going up from 160 -167. So good luck and I really hope this helps!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”