Any advice for those who have gone through a gap year Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
OlegPerry97

New

Any advice for those who have gone through a gap year

Post by OlegPerry97 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:07 pm

I'm currently in the last year of my undergrad (graduating after summer courses) and have my lSAT in June. Currently I have an unpaid internship but am looking for full-time work that I could do over the course of the next year. Is there anything specifically over the course of a gap year that I should do? I'm not necessarily talking about things to add to my application/resume but just in general.

floatie

Silver

Re: Any advice for those who have gone through a gap year

Post by floatie » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:25 pm

You have a ton of options - what your job is doesn't really matter as far as admissions outcomes. You could look into AmeriCorps (most schools will grant you a fee waiver). Other options include working as a paralegal, research assistant, LSAT tutor (if your score is high enough), or something that your degree allows (I have a couple friends with science degrees who worked as lab techs for a year).

OlegPerry97

New

Post by OlegPerry97 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:51 pm

floatie wrote:You have a ton of options - what your job is doesn't really matter as far as admissions outcomes. You could look into AmeriCorps (most schools will grant you a fee waiver). Other options include working as a paralegal, research assistant, LSAT tutor (if your score is high enough), or something that your degree allows (I have a couple friends with science degrees who worked as lab techs for a year).
I was considering paralegal and have heard that thrown out as an option several times, but it takes about 2 years to receive certification from what I've seen.

floatie

Silver

Post by floatie » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:28 pm

OlegPerry97 wrote:
floatie wrote:You have a ton of options - what your job is doesn't really matter as far as admissions outcomes. You could look into AmeriCorps (most schools will grant you a fee waiver). Other options include working as a paralegal, research assistant, LSAT tutor (if your score is high enough), or something that your degree allows (I have a couple friends with science degrees who worked as lab techs for a year).
I was considering paralegal and have heard that thrown out as an option several times, but it takes about 2 years to receive certification from what I've seen.
You don't have to get certified to work as a paralegal. There are some small firms and public interest organizations that will take you on and train you.

blueapple

Silver

Post by blueapple » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:30 am

floatie wrote:
OlegPerry97 wrote:
You don't have to get certified to work as a paralegal. There are some small firms and public interest organizations that will take you on and train you.
Look for jobs at law firms that are called legal assistant jobs also. These are paralegal jobs just with a different title.
Last edited by blueapple on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

OlegPerry97

New

Post by OlegPerry97 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:33 am

blueapple wrote:
floatie wrote:
OlegPerry97 wrote:
Look for jobs at law firms that are called legal assistant jobs also. These are paralegal jobs just with a different title.
Ok, I always thought there was a critical distinction between paralegal and legal assistant, thanks!

MrSam

Bronze

Post by MrSam » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:44 am

Study, stay busy, don't be lazy. I think that pretty much covers it.

AJordan

Silver

Post by AJordan » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:25 am

Removed

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”