Does Being a Re-Applicant Help or Hurt Chances(or neither) Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
rosomania

New

Does Being a Re-Applicant Help or Hurt Chances(or neither)

Post by rosomania » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:41 pm

I'm applying to UCLA for the second time. I improved my LSAT score so that my stats are right around the median now. I wrote a new personal statement but other than that not much has changed. Does being a re-applicant help or hurt?

OperaSoprano

Gold

Re: Does Being a Re-Applicant Help or Hurt Chances(or neither)

Post by OperaSoprano » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:45 pm

rosomania wrote:I'm applying to UCLA for the second time. I improved my LSAT score so that my stats are right around the median now. I wrote a new personal statement but other than that not much has changed. Does being a re-applicant help or hurt?
It can show devotion and thus help, but as you've correctly inferred, your new LSAT score is likely to be the deciding factor. There are numerous stories of successful reapplicants, and I would have been one such if I hadn't gotten in last cycle. If you can spin this as a "UCLA remains my first choice" story, you may get a boost. I know my own admissions office likes to hear from people who really, really want to go.

rosomania

New

Post by rosomania » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:17 pm

Sweet! I've made it very clear they're my top choice. Obviously my new score will help, I'm just concerned whether being a re-applicant will provide a further boost.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:26 pm

rosomania wrote:Sweet! I've made it very clear they're my top choice. Obviously my new score will help, I'm just concerned whether being a re-applicant will provide a further boost.
My best advice: Visit. They also tend to admit people they know, especially when making WL decisions. This information is based upon discussions with the head of my admissions office, but it's likely to be generally applicable.

I hope you will be successful, and enjoy UCLA. It was my dad's UG alma mater, and he remains fond of that school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”