HA1L THE CLASS OF 2020 [[Michigan]] Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

We're headed to Hogwarts, so what's your house?

Gryffindor
13%
Hufflepuff
21%
Ravenclaw
27%
Slytherin
21%
Regardless of what the quiz says, I'm a muggle, tbh.
19%

Total votes: 48

chandhi

Gold

Re: Michigan Class of 2020

Post by chandhi » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:10 pm

azaleafire wrote:
I am 99% sure I talked to you, chandhi, and maybe complimented you on your dye job.
Well thanks :) pretty sure we met the first day at the faculty reception, then!

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:06 am

Welp y'all. All good things must come to an end. This weekend was great though 8)

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:09 am

dietcoke1 wrote:very surprised how nice this weekend was. Definitely can see myself here. If anyone is on the fence or hesitant about the Midwest (this was my first time), It's definitely way better than I expected.
I agree. I'm not sure I think the experience here is necessarily representative of the midwest generally speaking, but I had a really great time all weekend with both current and prospective students. I also think the way that Michigan listed events like Bar Night on the schedule was great because it kind of encouraged us to go out and drink and get to know the students in a more casual setting as opposed to just during events in the LS.

dietcoke1

Silver

Post by dietcoke1 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:12 am

brinicolec wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:very surprised how nice this weekend was. Definitely can see myself here. If anyone is on the fence or hesitant about the Midwest (this was my first time), It's definitely way better than I expected.
I agree. I'm not sure I think the experience here is necessarily representative of the midwest generally speaking, but I had a really great time all weekend with both current and prospective students. I also think the way that Michigan listed events like Bar Night on the schedule was great because it kind of encouraged us to go out and drink and get to know the students in a more casual setting as opposed to just during events in the LS.
I agree, I was surprised how openly accepted drinking was at the law school. Btw it was nice to meet you bri!

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:40 am

dietcoke1 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
I agree, I was surprised how openly accepted drinking was at the law school. Btw it was nice to meet you bri!
It was nice meeting you too!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:36 pm

This is all making me so excited for Preview in a couple weeks (I'll be at the second one)!! :D

It will be the last school I visit in my upcoming marathon of schools, so I'll have lots of places fresh in my mind.

Chipotle85

Bronze

Post by Chipotle85 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:41 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
Why are you surprised that a law school of a big public school accepts drinking by people aged 23+ lol

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:11 pm

Chipotle85 wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
Why are you surprised that a law school of a big public school accepts drinking by people aged 23+ lol
I mean... It's more of like... the administration and stuff drinks with students.

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:32 pm

brinicolec wrote:
Chipotle85 wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
I mean... It's more of like... the administration and stuff drinks with students.
SFF auction was the most surprising in my opinion. If I didn't already know that group of people were a set of top 10 law students and faculty, I never would have guessed it from how much of an awesome party that was

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

meeseeks

Silver

Post by meeseeks » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:45 pm

I can honestly say I loved Michigan's ASW. Pretty much dead set on going. I'm curious to see if Columbia and UPenn can compete with how fun Michigan was

VA2lawschool

Bronze

Post by VA2lawschool » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:12 pm

mrgstephe wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
Chipotle85 wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
SFF auction was the most surprising in my opinion. If I didn't already know that group of people were a set of top 10 law students and faculty, I never would have guessed it from how much of an awesome party that was
^Seconding this! I loved the atmosphere there - fun/sociable but then you could also tell how intelligent/ambitious/engaging everyone was.

dmc1275

New

Post by dmc1275 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:26 pm

Completely agree with everything that's been said. Preview weekend was a blast. SFF auction was absurd in the best way, and everyone I met was super friendly and really seemed to be enjoying their time at Michigan. As someone who is pretty low-key and finds the prospect of meeting 100s of strangers kind of exhausting/overwhelming, how welcoming the current students and faculty were really made the trip. Barring some unforeseen scholarships at other schools, Ann Arbor is where I see myself next year.

ChildWithADove

New

Post by ChildWithADove » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:43 pm

3L here. Glad everyone enjoyed this past weekend. I promise you, us 3Ls had just as much fun as you did. :D Hit me up if you have any questions. And congrats on all of your success thus far. You really can't make a wrong choice--just, you know, less right ones (jokes!).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

HowlandReed

New

Post by HowlandReed » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:35 pm

Anyone have luck negotiating?

BoyJord

Bronze

Post by BoyJord » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:06 am

If i can be annoyingly neurotic for a quick second, what was the general dress code during ASW? I know online there is that little quip about Ann Arbor Black Tie being equivalent to NYC homeless man or whatever it says. I am just curious how everyone handled this during ASW. Were most of you in business casual or were you legitimately in hoodies and jeans?
TIA for indulging my anxieties

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver

Post by Anon.y.mousse. » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:07 am

BoyJord wrote:If i can be annoyingly neurotic for a quick second, what was the general dress code during ASW? I know online there is that little quip about Ann Arbor Black Tie being equivalent to NYC homeless man or whatever it says. I am just curious how everyone handled this during ASW. Were most of you in business casual or were you legitimately in hoodies and jeans?
I would say most people were in between. Lots of jeans, but paired more with button downs/nice sweaters/cardigans/etc. than with hoodies. Some people were in business casual but there was no reason to be.

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:13 am

Anon.y.mousse. wrote:
BoyJord wrote:If i can be annoyingly neurotic for a quick second, what was the general dress code during ASW? I know online there is that little quip about Ann Arbor Black Tie being equivalent to NYC homeless man or whatever it says. I am just curious how everyone handled this during ASW. Were most of you in business casual or were you legitimately in hoodies and jeans?
I would say most people were in between. Lots of jeans, but paired more with button downs/nice sweaters/cardigans/etc. than with hoodies. Some people were in business casual but there was no reason to be.
People were definitely more 'dressed up' on Thursday (aka nicer pants/shirts), and it felt mostly more relaxed on Friday (there were definitely still the gunners with their blazers on, both guys and girls, but also some people with tshirts and jeans). Friday night people dressed up a little more for the parties/bars, but nothing crazy.

Saturday there were some people who showed up to closing remarks in athletic apparel after the morning yoga session, and Dean Z gave her closing remarks in yoga pants and a sweatshirt. They really do mean pretty much anything goes.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BoyJord

Bronze

Post by BoyJord » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:18 am

mrgstephe wrote:
Anon.y.mousse. wrote:
People were definitely more 'dressed up' on Thursday (aka nicer pants/shirts), and it felt mostly more relaxed on Friday (there were definitely still the gunners with their blazers on, both guys and girls, but also some people with tshirts and jeans). Friday night people dressed up a little more for the parties/bars, but nothing crazy.

Saturday there were some people who showed up to closing remarks in athletic apparel after the morning yoga session, and Dean Z gave her closing remarks in yoga pants and a sweatshirt. They really do mean pretty much anything goes.
Cheers! I needed to hear this. Hopefully there are still some people ITT who are going to ASW in April. It seems like everyone was there last week.

xandra_v

Bronze

Post by xandra_v » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:19 am

BoyJord wrote:
mrgstephe wrote:
Anon.y.mousse. wrote:

Cheers! I needed to hear this. Hopefully there are still some people ITT who are going to ASW in April. It seems like everyone was there last week.
I'll be there!

ldlestrange

Bronze

Post by ldlestrange » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:35 am

xandra_v wrote:
BoyJord wrote:
mrgstephe wrote:
Anon.y.mousse. wrote:

I'll be there!
Same! Excited to meet you all and experience all of these stories first hand

ChildWithADove

New

Post by ChildWithADove » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:11 pm

BoyJord wrote:
mrgstephe wrote:
Anon.y.mousse. wrote:

Unless expressly told otherwise, dress at MLaw is casual. Jeans and a minimally-wrinkled shirt is typical. If weather permits, shorts and a t-shirt are a encouraged. Now, if you want to go law-school-fancy, you can wear pants and a button-down with the sleeves rolled up. If you want to dress undergrad-fancy, you should wear shorts, a short-sleeved button-down, and boat shoes. No hate. Just truth. That said, no one will (vocally) judge you for coming in a suit. If anything, we will compliment you on your unusually high sense of style.

Really, so long as you aren't wearing Michigan State or Ohio State gear, you will be fine.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Keilz

Gold

Post by Keilz » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:44 pm

Ugh this two hour flight is like double the cost of my cross country flight to Berkeley....

maizeandbeard

New

Post by maizeandbeard » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:02 pm

Michigan 1L here. Glad everyone seemed to have a good time at preview! We all enjoyed meeting you guys. Hope you come to Michigan. Go blue!

Keilz

Gold

Post by Keilz » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:08 pm

Ok so if anyone is coming from the NYC metro area, prices were insane flying on April 6th, and if you wanted April 5th it would have to be in the morning (meaning an extra day off of work and hotel).

I did priceline express flights, where you put in your dates and airports and they give you a price, the airport, and some general limits, but don't tell you the times and airline. I got roundtrip from Newark (which I wanted) to Detroit for $235, nonstop on United both ways arriving at 8:30AM April 6 and leaving 12:45 on Sunday. Pretty much got everything I needed at a savings of $90 or more, so if you still haven't booked your travel, check them out.

BoyJord

Bronze

Post by BoyJord » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:03 pm

N.E.1 begin to negotiate yet/have success negotiating already?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”