Texas Law Class of 2019 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)

What are you doing this summer?

Judicial Internship
11%
Public Interest
11%
In-House
No votes
Big Law
47%
Medium Law
5%
Small Law
No votes
Government
11%
Split (tell us about it!)
5%
I have no idea someone please hire me please I just need to work
11%

Total votes: 19

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Re: Texas Law Class of 2019

Post by Hikikomorist » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:16 pm

Guys, you can get plenty of money off the waitlist. Just submit the form and go from there.

invgr8

New

Post by invgr8 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:18 pm

Checking in. Im waiting on a negotiation from Michigan to then negotiate a better scholarship at UT. Who has been able to negotiate a better scholarship with UT successfully so far?

Hook em horns!

zozo1717

Bronze

Post by zozo1717 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:26 pm

Checking in! Hoping for some scholarship reconsideration to make this a possibility for me. Visiting Austin in April :-D

meowatme123

New

Post by meowatme123 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:30 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:Guys, you can get plenty of money off the waitlist. Just submit the form and go from there.
Is the form only required if you're looking for need aid or merit aid as well?

BigTex

Bronze

Post by BigTex » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:52 pm

Seems like there's been a wave of acceptances lately. Anyone else planning on making the visit on Friday?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lucyfur

Bronze

Post by Lucyfur » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:45 am

TxEx13 wrote:Seems like there's been a wave of acceptances lately. Anyone else planning on making the visit on Friday?
I'll be there! Also gonna do the Segway tour tomorrow lol :P I'll be the one falling and eating shit haha

BigTex

Bronze

Post by BigTex » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:05 am

Lucyfur wrote:
TxEx13 wrote:Seems like there's been a wave of acceptances lately. Anyone else planning on making the visit on Friday?
I'll be there! Also gonna do the Segway tour tomorrow lol :P I'll be the one falling and eating shit haha
Nice! Unfortunately I couldn't make the Segway tour :( but definitely looking forward to free breakfast tacos to kick off the day on Friday!

Lucyfur

Bronze

Post by Lucyfur » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:09 am

TxEx13 wrote:
Lucyfur wrote:
Nice! Unfortunately I couldn't make the Segway tour :( but definitely looking forward to free breakfast tacos to kick off the day on Friday!
Yesss! I'm more of a breakfast burrito gal myself, but I'm excited for this breakfast taco thing.

Is the ASD on the more business side or casual side of business casual? I'd prefer to be as casual as possible.

BigTex

Bronze

Post by BigTex » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:18 am

Lucyfur wrote:
TxEx13 wrote:
Lucyfur wrote:
Yesss! I'm more of a breakfast burrito gal myself, but I'm excited for this breakfast taco thing.

Is the ASD on the more business side or casual side of business casual? I'd prefer to be as casual as possible.
Ehhhh they were pretty ambiguous about it. I was trying to figure out what to wear via the pictures they posted from the other ASD in the Facebook group. I saw a dude in a t-shirt...but he was the only one in a t-shirt. So probably going to go slacks and nice shirt. It's pretty hard to come across as "too casual" in Austin though so that's good.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

travel93

New

Post by travel93 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:55 pm

Does anyone have info or suggestions on parking near the law school? It looks like the closest parking garage is San Jacinto, but I think there's a waitlist

FairchildFLT

Bronze

Post by FairchildFLT » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:41 pm

travel93 wrote:Does anyone have info or suggestions on parking near the law school? It looks like the closest parking garage is San Jacinto, but I think there's a waitlist
I'm debating parking at West Campus parking. But I plan on getting to campus around 7 am (assuming 9am class) to beat traffic and go to the gym before class.

HabeasandCo

New

Post by HabeasandCo » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:25 am

travel93 wrote:Does anyone have info or suggestions on parking near the law school? It looks like the closest parking garage is San Jacinto, but I think there's a waitlist
There are some metered parking spots on Dean Keeton, though those are taken pretty early every day. Another option would be to park somewhere near the Red River or East Campus UT shuttle lines and take the bus. Those buses run very frequently. You may also be able to find walkable parking in Hyde Park and other areas off of Red River and Speedway.

A C or C+ permit would be a cheaper option than the garages, and Lot 37 is close to the law school. http://www.utexas.edu/parking/parking/student/

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:56 am

HabeasandCo wrote:
There are some metered parking spots on Dean Keeton, though those are taken pretty early every day. Another option would be to park somewhere near the Red River or East Campus UT shuttle lines and take the bus. Those buses run very frequently. You may also be able to find walkable parking in Hyde Park and other areas off of Red River and Speedway.

A C or C+ permit would be a cheaper option than the garages, and Lot 37 is close to the law school. http://www.utexas.edu/parking/parking/student/
The metered spaces are only good for 5 hours as well

I do the park close by and shuttle in thing a lot, would highly recommend if you don't want to shell out $600 or whatever it is for the San Jac garage

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

turetto

New

Post by turetto » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:39 pm

Could those of y'all who attended Friday's ASP share thoughts for those of us who couldn't make it?

BigTex

Bronze

Post by BigTex » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:15 pm

turetto wrote:Could those of y'all who attended Friday's ASP share thoughts for those of us who couldn't make it?

I had a great time. Really confirmed what mornincounselor said earlier in this thread. Got a great feel of community and friendliness. I never really doubted UT in an academic/employment possibilities way, but the visit really served to smooth over any concerns about the culture of the student body and staff. While competitive by nature it truly seemed like a collaborative and inviting environment. The professors (who were all very decorated in their fields) were extremely nice, down to earth, and eager to talk to us if we approached. During the breakout panels, Professor Hu could not stop talking and bragging about his former students and research assistants (one of whom was on the panel) who had become successful. Things like that gave me the feel that the professors really are willing and excited to invest in the students that put in the effort to get to know them.

During the Career Services panel they told us about a new Alumni mentoring program they've been rolling out under Director Ratliff, an alumni herself who had formerly been with the CSO but is now in an independent role to oversee the program (a role they say is unlike anything at other schools). Basically she reaches out to 1Ls and Alumni and matches ones who want to participate in the program based on various interests ranging from practice field to where you're from to sports fandom to whatever personal aspect you want to connect on. After they're matched the alumni reach out to 1Ls and organize meet ups and other correspondence to help with anything the 1L might need or just to form a connection. She told some great stories about the program's first year and connections that were made. Again, really great to hear in terms of resources for students and everyone invested in the school doing what they can to see the current crop of students succeed.

Outside of the somewhat dated aesthetics of the school and a rare stormy day in Austin, really don't have much negative to say.

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Post by WokeUpInACar » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:25 pm

If you don't want to worry about parking, lease my 2BR condo that's a 5 minute walk from the law school! I actually don't even have a financial stake in this as I'm renting also, just tired of the parade of real estate agents showing the place on one hour notice.

invgr8

New

Post by invgr8 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:45 pm

I successfully renegotiated a significant scholarship, I sent my seat deposit yesterday, and began to withdraw from all the other law schools.

Texas is the school for me. Hook em horns!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

gunners94

New

Post by gunners94 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:54 pm

Also negotiated for a larger scholarship and submitted by seat deposit. See y'all in Austin this fall!

periwinkley

New

Post by periwinkley » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:06 pm

invgr8 wrote:I successfully renegotiated a significant scholarship, I sent my seat deposit yesterday, and began to withdraw from all the other law schools.

Texas is the school for me. Hook em horns!
gunners94 wrote:Also negotiated for a larger scholarship and submitted by seat deposit. See y'all in Austin this fall!
If you two don't mind me asking, what did you put in the "statement regarding reconsideration request?" I'm filling out mine now and looking to see what's worked for others. Feel free to PM :)

kylethedog

New

Post by kylethedog » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:16 pm

Hey I am visiting Austin this week. Does anyone have any suggestions on places to eat and/or things to do?

BirdLawExpert

Gold

Post by BirdLawExpert » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:24 pm

kylethedog wrote:Hey I am visiting Austin this week. Does anyone have any suggestions on places to eat and/or things to do?
The best tacos in Austin are at this hip little spot on South Lamar called Taco Cabana.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

OtterLaw

Silver

Post by OtterLaw » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:29 pm

BirdLawExpert wrote:
kylethedog wrote:Hey I am visiting Austin this week. Does anyone have any suggestions on places to eat and/or things to do?
The best tacos in Austin are at this hip little spot on South Lamar called Taco Cabana.
That's cold man. Stone cold. (You'll probably actually get mugged at that Taco Cabana. Lolz)

BirdLawExpert

Gold

Post by BirdLawExpert » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:30 pm

OtterLaw wrote:
BirdLawExpert wrote:
That's cold man. Stone cold. (You'll probably actually get mugged at that Taco Cabana. Lolz)
I got drunk on margs at that Taco Cabana one year before the Capitol 10K. It's not as bad over there now as it used to be now that the Zach and a few new restaurants have opened up.

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Post by WokeUpInACar » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:45 pm

BirdLawExpert wrote:
OtterLaw wrote:
BirdLawExpert wrote:
I got drunk on margs at that Taco Cabana one year before the Capitol 10K. It's not as bad over there now as it used to be now that the Zach and a few new restaurants have opened up.
That Taco Cabana recently shuttered for good lol. For a real taco suggestion, hit up Taco Joint, Pueblo Viejo, or Veracruz All Natural.

BigTex

Bronze

Post by BigTex » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:54 pm

Food:
Magnolia Cafe
Tyson's Tacos
Veracruz All Natural
Tacodeli
Any BBQ place not called "Bill Miller BBQ" or "Pok-E-Jo's"
Pinthouse Pizza
Easy Tiger
Ramen Tatsuya
Shake Shack (not a strip club, I promise)
Random taco trucks, especially the ones on Barton Springs Rd.

Things to do is pretty broad... Walk around downtown, walk around in the Capitol, walk around and play with other people's dogs in Zilker Park, walk around South Congress, go paddle boarding or kayaking on Lake Austin, visit the Mount Bonnell Lookout Point, bars/taprooms in East Austin (7th and 6th streets east of I-35), Rainey St.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”