NYU Law Class of 2019 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)

ORIENTATION

im going ham on the free food
33%
ive been studying nonstop
7%
a l c o h o l
53%
orien-what?
7%

Total votes: 15

Tr3

Silver

Re: NYU Law Class of 2019

Post by Tr3 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:03 am

Lawyers&Commissary wrote:Does NYU offer financial assistance for attending ASW? Can't find it mentioned but perhaps I'm missing it.
Email admissions and request assistance. They'll send you an application that you have to fill out, then they will review it and decide if you get a travel subsidy (well, reimbursement).

cbbinnyc

Bronze

Post by cbbinnyc » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:09 am

Tr3 wrote:
Lawyers&Commissary wrote:Does NYU offer financial assistance for attending ASW? Can't find it mentioned but perhaps I'm missing it.
Email admissions and request assistance. They'll send you an application that you have to fill out, then they will review it and decide if you get a travel subsidy (well, reimbursement).
Ah, nm ... this is probably right (though, maybe they do use Need Access info as well)

laurelcastillo

New

Post by laurelcastillo » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:26 am

What are people planning to wear to ASW? I know this has been addressed in other threads (although I'm still not quite sure of protocol...) but I thought I'd ask my fellow trendy New Yorkers (to be) for more NYU-specific advice!

Tempo

New

Post by Tempo » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:45 am

laurelcastillo wrote:What are people planning to wear to ASW? I know this has been addressed in other threads (although I'm still not quite sure of protocol...) but I thought I'd ask my fellow trendy New Yorkers (to be) for more NYU-specific advice!
I'm not a trendy New Yorker (I'm from Portland) but I'll just be wearing button-downs and black pants (the kind from Zumiez, not nice ones).

chickensoup1234

New

Post by chickensoup1234 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:56 am

Do you guys think that the K-JDs will be disproportionately represented at the asw events?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

crescentstars

Bronze

Post by crescentstars » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:22 pm

chickensoup1234 wrote:Do you guys think that the K-JDs will be disproportionately represented at the asw events?
Oh I didn't think about that...I wouldn't be surprised, but I hope not. If anything, I imagine that a bunch of K-JDs would go to an ASW in mid-March - early April since that's when most schools have their spring break. I could always be wrong about that though - maybe seniors wouldn't want to spend their spring break at a law school?

That said, anyone here going to the ASD next week? I'm 3 years out of undergrad myself and really hope that there's a good mix of people/I don't want to feel old. :|

sims1

Bronze

Post by sims1 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:46 pm

Wear whatever you want (I wouldn't wear sweatpants, but you totally could). I don't think there is an age bias, but maybe more K-JDs that can take time off. It's a chill event -- enjoy the free food and the opportunity to learn about the school.

rska884

Silver

Post by rska884 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:57 am

crescentstars wrote:
chickensoup1234 wrote:Do you guys think that the K-JDs will be disproportionately represented at the asw events?
Oh I didn't think about that...I wouldn't be surprised, but I hope not. If anything, I imagine that a bunch of K-JDs would go to an ASW in mid-March - early April since that's when most schools have their spring break. I could always be wrong about that though - maybe seniors wouldn't want to spend their spring break at a law school?

That said, anyone here going to the ASD next week? I'm 3 years out of undergrad myself and really hope that there's a good mix of people/I don't want to feel old. :|
I'll be there and I'm also 3 years out. I will say that I went to the Columbia Monday two weeks ago and it was overwhelmingly non-KJDs. That was probably influenced by it being Presidents Day, but I think since NY is home to so many of us who took time off, at least the NYU and Columbia events should be closer to proportional.

annaliesman

New

Post by annaliesman » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:43 am

laurelcastillo wrote:What are people planning to wear to ASW? I know this has been addressed in other threads (although I'm still not quite sure of protocol...) but I thought I'd ask my fellow trendy New Yorkers (to be) for more NYU-specific advice!
Last edited by annaliesman on Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

crescentstars

Bronze

Post by crescentstars » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:04 pm

rska884 wrote:I'll be there and I'm also 3 years out. I will say that I went to the Columbia Monday two weeks ago and it was overwhelmingly non-KJDs. That was probably influenced by it being Presidents Day, but I think since NY is home to so many of us who took time off, at least the NYU and Columbia events should be closer to proportional.
That's also a good point. And cool to hear other people here will be going as well. I'm pretty psyched! :D

As for the dress code topic, I'm probably just going in a button down and black jeans for Day 1. Maybe I'll up my game a little for Day 2 since there seem to be more Dean activities then. But I'm really not sweating it much - we're in already, so I think we'll all be ok!

pppp

New

Post by pppp » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:26 am

No one has heard about merit scholarships yet right? It looks like they're giving out invites to all the named ones first this year. In the past they announced early Feb, but just left out those that applied for the named ones.

I really wanted to hear about $ before I took off work to go to ASW. Can't afford to fall in love with the school at sticker.

davey jones

Platinum

Post by davey jones » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:30 am

pppp wrote:No one has heard about merit scholarships yet right? It looks like they're giving out invites to all the named ones first this year. In the past they announced early Feb, but just left out those that applied for the named ones.

I really wanted to hear about $ before I took off work to go to ASW. Can't afford to fall in love with the school at sticker.
yeah we all feel the same.
as to your question, no. we're all still waiting.

AnonymousPython

New

Post by AnonymousPython » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:32 am

pppp wrote:No one has heard about merit scholarships yet right? It looks like they're giving out invites to all the named ones first this year. In the past they announced early Feb, but just left out those that applied for the named ones.

So true. I think I'm gonna wait til one of the later ones to have a more complete picture.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

beckett

New

Post by beckett » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:59 pm

Just got my merit award. It's way more than I thought I would get (which was $0). Pretty much in shock.

davey jones

Platinum

Post by davey jones » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:00 pm

beckett wrote:Just got my merit award. It's way more than I thought I would get (which was $0). Pretty much in shock.
awesome, congrats! mind sharing stats?

archipm

Bronze

Post by archipm » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:01 pm

I got an email this morning saying they had completed financial aid review and I could access my offer through a link, but when I try to log in at the link it isn't working. I've been on hold for 15 mins with the financial aid office. Just curious if anyone else is having this problem?

crescentstars

Bronze

Post by crescentstars » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:03 pm

archipm wrote:I got an email this morning saying they had completed financial aid review and I could access my offer through a link, but when I try to log in at the link it isn't working. I've been on hold for 15 mins with the financial aid office. Just curious if anyone else is having this problem?
Just got the email too! I was having the same issue -- it might be caused by already being logged into NYU's site? I opened a private browsing window and was able to access my award through that.

ETA: I was getting an error message that was a bit cut off when I tried to use a standard window - it said something about "multiple sessions" or something, so that's why I think the error might be caused by being logged into NYU's site already. Also, I used chrome for all of this.
Last edited by crescentstars on Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

beckett

New

Post by beckett » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:05 pm

I'm ~25% for both LSAT and GPA. URM. For those having trouble accessing the letter, I had to log in using internet explorer instead of chrome.

archipm

Bronze

Post by archipm » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:10 pm

crescentstars wrote:
archipm wrote:I got an email this morning saying they had completed financial aid review and I could access my offer through a link, but when I try to log in at the link it isn't working. I've been on hold for 15 mins with the financial aid office. Just curious if anyone else is having this problem?
Just got the email too! I was having the same issue -- it might be caused by already being logged into NYU's site? I opened a private browsing window and was able to access my award through that.

ETA: I was getting an error message that was a bit cut off when I tried to use a standard window - it said something about "multiple sessions" or something, so that's why I think the error might be caused by being logged into NYU's site already. Also, I used chrome for all of this.
You were right! I had the same, weird cut-off error message but got it to work by deleting cookies/history and restarting chrome.

rska884

Silver

Post by rska884 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:22 pm

Got mine too - noticeably less than what I got from UVA and Duke, but not the worst starting point if I can negotiate it up. I guess we'll see.

crescentstars

Bronze

Post by crescentstars » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:34 pm

archipm wrote:You were right! I had the same, weird cut-off error message but got it to work by deleting cookies/history and restarting chrome.
Nice! Glad to help. And that sounds like a real solution as opposed to my band-aid fix for the issue. Go teamwork! :D

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

KiltedKicker

Bronze

Post by KiltedKicker » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:37 pm

I had the same message, I used Safari.

Unbelievably happy with the award, I was expecting about what Chicago offered and NYU gave me more than double that. Also, leave tomorrow for NYC, this definitely changes the trip a bit :)

jtg21

Bronze

Post by jtg21 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:42 pm

KiltedKicker wrote:I had the same message, I used Safari.

Unbelievably happy with the award, I was expecting about what Chicago offered and NYU gave me more than double that. Also, leave tomorrow for NYC, this definitely changes the trip a bit :)
I leave tonight for NYC. So much more hype right now!

burtsbeesfanatic

New

Post by burtsbeesfanatic » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:48 pm

Got my merit award today, had some weird issues with the log in, but when I got in I was pretty shocked with the offer. Considerably more than I thought I would get, and either just about the same amount as Duke or more (depending on my 2L employment). Super, super excited.

rska884

Silver

Post by rska884 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:50 pm

burtsbeesfanatic wrote:Got my merit award today, had some weird issues with the log in, but when I got in I was pretty shocked with the offer. Considerably more than I thought I would get, and either just about the same amount as Duke or more (depending on my 2L employment). Super, super excited.
Mine was close to Duke (and UVA) but slightly less (significantly if you count the 3L modification) - think there's any chance they'll consider those offers for negotiation purposes? Between the 3L reduction and cost of living differences, I'm looking at a substantially more expensive price.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”