Illinois College of Law Class of 2019 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)

When are you moving to Chambana?

Earlier than August 1st
No votes
August 1st-3rd
22%
August 4th-6th
11%
August 7th-9th
No votes
August 10th-12th
22%
August 13th-15th
44%
Later than August 15th
No votes

Total votes: 9

illini2013

New

Re: Illinois College of Law Class of 2019

Post by illini2013 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:12 am

Harry_Pluxen wrote:
illini2013 wrote:
Harry_Pluxen wrote:Question for those who have successfully negotiated scholarships at UIUC:

How long did the process take and was UIUC amenable to increasing your scholarship offer? And just to confirm, who did you e-mail regarding this scholarship negotiation?

I'm contemplating e-mailing UIUC with the offers I have received from other schools right now or waiting until after the open house. I feel like I'll be able to stand more firmly after the open house and be more sincere with my request. What do the rest of you think?

Email now since there will likely be more scholarship $ available now than in April. Email Becky Ray and you should hear back within a couple days. If your numbers are really strong and you tell them that you will go to UIUC, they'll give you more $
Alright thanks!

By the way, have you ever heard of students getting unsolicited raises to their scholarship offers later in the application cycle, such as in the summer months?
I haven't, but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened

bievmic

New

Post by bievmic » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:28 pm

Harry_Pluxen wrote:
illini2013 wrote:
Harry_Pluxen wrote:Question for those who have successfully negotiated scholarships at UIUC:

How long did the process take and was UIUC amenable to increasing your scholarship offer? And just to confirm, who did you e-mail regarding this scholarship negotiation?

I'm contemplating e-mailing UIUC with the offers I have received from other schools right now or waiting until after the open house. I feel like I'll be able to stand more firmly after the open house and be more sincere with my request. What do the rest of you think?

Email now since there will likely be more scholarship $ available now than in April. Email Becky Ray and you should hear back within a couple days. If your numbers are really strong and you tell them that you will go to UIUC, they'll give you more $
Alright thanks!

By the way, have you ever heard of students getting unsolicited raises to their scholarship offers later in the application cycle, such as in the summer months?
I have never heard of it either from Illinois. I have heard of it from schools like Cooley though. I would be wary of a school that does that often. Makes the school seem desperate for students

bievmic

New

Post by bievmic » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:57 am

New poll is up.

Supercalifragilistic

Bronze

Post by Supercalifragilistic » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:30 am

bievmic wrote:New poll is up.
Yay!

bievmic

New

Post by bievmic » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:59 am

Supercalifragilistic wrote:
bievmic wrote:New poll is up.
Yay!
I'm glad someone is excited

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Halfthaifullusa

New

Post by Halfthaifullusa » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:09 am

Paid deposits already, don't see much point going to admitted students since I'm already decided stuff other than checking out apartments so still not sure if going

bievmic

New

Post by bievmic » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:07 pm

Halfthaifullusa wrote:Paid deposits already, don't see much point going to admitted students since I'm already decided stuff other than checking out apartments so still not sure if going
I know I'm attending too and I went to school there so I'm basically just going to meet other people that are most likely going to attend.

GrandJC

New

Post by GrandJC » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:30 pm

bievmic wrote:
Halfthaifullusa wrote:Paid deposits already, don't see much point going to admitted students since I'm already decided stuff other than checking out apartments so still not sure if going
I know I'm attending too and I went to school there so I'm basically just going to meet other people that are most likely going to attend.
I visited the law school just this last weekend and decided i'll be attending as well. Just need to put the seat deposit down.

Supercalifragilistic

Bronze

Post by Supercalifragilistic » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:04 pm

GrandJC wrote:
bievmic wrote:
I visited the law school just this last weekend and decided i'll be attending as well. Just need to put the seat deposit down.
Are you going to the admitted student day as well?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Supercalifragilistic

Bronze

Post by Supercalifragilistic » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:06 pm

bievmic wrote:
Do you guys think it's a big advantage socially to go?

I prob won't be ready for an apt deposit until May 1 anyway. Deciding if it's worth it to go to the ASD, or just pay the deposit and enjoy the day off from work I already took. Maybe I'm just tired right now haha

illini2013

New

Post by illini2013 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:05 pm

bievmic wrote:

I prob won't be ready for an apt deposit until May 1 anyway. Deciding if it's worth it to go to the ASD, or just pay the deposit and enjoy the day off from work I already took. Maybe I'm just tired right now haha
I found it worthwhile going to ASD three years ago. It gave me a few ppl to talk to over the summer and have ppl to hang out with immediately during orientation. But it isn't the end of the world if you don't go

GrandJC

New

Post by GrandJC » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:59 am

GrandJC wrote:
bievmic wrote:
Are you going to the admitted student day as well?
No, I am not which is why I visited earlier. Unfortunately the timing is very off. But I am for sure enrolling, deposit has been paid.

Supercalifragilistic

Bronze

Post by Supercalifragilistic » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:59 pm

illini2013 wrote:
bievmic wrote:

I found it worthwhile going to ASD three years ago. It gave me a few ppl to talk to over the summer and have ppl to hang out with immediately during orientation. But it isn't the end of the world if you don't go
Thanks! Are people heavily roommate recruiting at ASD or do matches happen online or through some university system?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bievmic

New

Post by bievmic » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:48 pm

illini2013 wrote:
bievmic wrote:

Thanks! Are people heavily roommate recruiting at ASD or do matches happen online or through some university system?
I feel like those who are looking for a roommate will be. I still don't know if I want a roommate or not. It just seems a little risky to me

illini2013

New

Post by illini2013 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:29 pm

bievmic wrote:
illini2013 wrote:
bievmic wrote:

I feel like those who are looking for a roommate will be. I still don't know if I want a roommate or not. It just seems a little risky to me
Yeah, I mean I talked to a couple ppl from ASD about rooming together, but ultimately didn't happen. I would say majority got roommates through TLS, FB group or just random matching at the Village, Armory, etc.

Supercalifragilistic

Bronze

Post by Supercalifragilistic » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:43 pm

illini2013 wrote:
bievmic wrote:
illini2013 wrote:
bievmic wrote:

Yeah, I mean I talked to a couple ppl from ASD about rooming together, but ultimately didn't happen. I would say majority got roommates through TLS, FB group or just random matching at the Village, Armory, etc.
Good to know! I agree having a roommate feels risky. I really like to have 100% freedom and space to decompress when I'm stressed.

Is it hard to budget on only loans for living alone?

Wingtip88

Bronze

Post by Wingtip88 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:58 pm

Supercalifragilistic wrote:Is it hard to budget on only loans for living alone?
It shouldn't be. I'd start maybe looking for apartments now. Check out Hotpads. You can get studios in town starting around $450 and one bedroom apartments starting around $550-600. Factor in utilities, student fees (we paid $3,845 last year, if I recall correctly) and whatever else you need. Books are expensive as f if you're buying them. But it shouldn't be hard to keep your expenses for the school year under $17-18,000 and that's a generous budget.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bievmic

New

Post by bievmic » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:23 pm

Yeah I've already had one roommate horror story I think I'll play it safe this time

Supercalifragilistic

Bronze

Post by Supercalifragilistic » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:22 pm

Wingtip88 wrote:
It shouldn't be. I'd start maybe looking for apartments now. Check out Hotpads. You can get studios in town starting around $450 and one bedroom apartments starting around $550-600. Factor in utilities, student fees (we paid $3,845 last year, if I recall correctly) and whatever else you need. Books are expensive as f if you're buying them. But it shouldn't be hard to keep your expenses for the school year under $17-18,000 and that's a generous budget.
Great advice, thanks!

Supercalifragilistic

Bronze

Post by Supercalifragilistic » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:26 pm

Just noticed the FB group is finally up! (Totally missed the link in the email before.)

TheFutureElleWoods

New

Post by TheFutureElleWoods » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:36 pm

Wingtip88 wrote:
Great advice, thanks!
After looking through past class threads I narrowed down my search to a couple of places and decided to hop over to Champaign to check some out. I ended up putting in an application at a place. After talking to different landlords it does seem like some of the apts are already booking up for the fall.

The place I landed on makes a list for the fall and then you are assigned an apartment in June. I think i'm the 3rd or so person on the waitlist for a 1BDR. If you were looking at having a roommate she had mentioned that they already had 10 people on the 2 BDR waitlist for the fall. That is only one location of course, but it does seem to me like things are picking up at all of the "hot-spots"

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bievmic

New

Post by bievmic » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:39 pm

Just deposited. Can't wait until August. If there are any current students lurking in the thread the one question I have right now is about laptops. I think I'm going to get a new macbook pro. Anyone ever heard of problems using a macbook?

GrandJC

New

Post by GrandJC » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:31 pm

bievmic wrote:Just deposited. Can't wait until August. If there are any current students lurking in the thread the one question I have right now is about laptops. I think I'm going to get a new macbook pro. Anyone ever heard of problems using a macbook?
I have a macbook now, have had it since freshman year in undergrad and I have never had a single issue with mine. I do have an air, though, not a pro.

Supercalifragilistic

Bronze

Post by Supercalifragilistic » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:11 pm

GrandJC wrote:
bievmic wrote:Just deposited. Can't wait until August. If there are any current students lurking in the thread the one question I have right now is about laptops. I think I'm going to get a new macbook pro. Anyone ever heard of problems using a macbook?
I have a macbook now, have had it since freshman year in undergrad and I have never had a single issue with mine. I do have an air, though, not a pro.
I just got a new macbook pro a few weeks ago because my undergrad comp died a while ago. I researched a bit and it seemed like it was totally compatible with any test taking software, etc. for law school.

bievmic

New

Post by bievmic » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:35 pm

Yeah I really doubt there will be any issues I just want to be sure.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”