UVA Law Class of 2019 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2019)

Where are you living for 1L?

Pavilion
24%
Ivy Gardens
29%
Jeffersonian
6%
Arlington Park
3%
Stonefield Commons
No votes
City Walk
3%
Jefferson Ridge
2%
In a house/townhouse/non-apartment
24%
Other (Feel free to mention in thread!)
10%

Total votes: 63

Tom_Hagen

New

Re: UVA Law Class of 2019

Post by Tom_Hagen » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:19 pm

RedWhite&Blonde wrote:
lawandorder2019 wrote:
RedWhite&Blonde wrote:
lawandorder2019 wrote:
fliptrip wrote:Oh, and forgive my manners. I'm checking in. I will short of a catastrophe be showing my mug in C'ville in fall. Anyone thinking about where to live yet? Is UVA housing an option at all? I guess I could read up, but why do that when I have TLS?
UVA housing is an option. They have housing right across the street called Copeley. Off grounds housing there are a lot of options, but the fill up pretty quickly. There's the Pavilion (hella pricey), Arlington Court Condos, The Jeffersonian, Graduate Cenre, and Ivy Apartments. Those are the main options I know about after a couple of months of research and living in Charlottesville since I'm here for undergrad.
Okay, so I got sucked in by the Pavilion's website (it just looks so gorgeous). Is there really a huge quality difference, though?

And the UVA housing is the single rooms without air conditioning, right?
The UVA housing their advertising (the range on the lawn) are single rooms without air conditioning. However, I used to live in Copeley which is on-grounds housing right across from the law school. If you're interested, I'm sure you could call UVA housing and ask about it.

I've heard the Pavilion is nice, but very overpriced. However a lot of people choose it because of the ease of obtaining a rental there. The other places you have to apply super early (some applications opened December 1) to have a chance at a place. There are also places that start to be listed on craigslist and such later in the year. I won't lie, finding housing in Charlottesville is kind of a headache.
Thanks for your feedback. Might go with the Pavilion if I go to UVA.
Yea housing in Cville isn't fun. The earlier the better, Pavilion way overpriced but convenient.

Also a good resource:
http://www.brac.com/

nicola16

Bronze

Post by nicola16 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:57 pm

Barring something totally unexpected, I'm going to be in Charlottesville in the fall!
I was just offered a room at Ivy Garden for a very reasonable price and am now in the market for a roommate. If you want details or are interested, please PM me!

hamiltoniana

New

Post by hamiltoniana » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:21 pm

RedWhite&Blonde wrote:
lawandorder2019 wrote:
RedWhite&Blonde wrote:
lawandorder2019 wrote:
fliptrip wrote:Oh, and forgive my manners. I'm checking in. I will short of a catastrophe be showing my mug in C'ville in fall. Anyone thinking about where to live yet? Is UVA housing an option at all? I guess I could read up, but why do that when I have TLS?
UVA housing is an option. They have housing right across the street called Copeley. Off grounds housing there are a lot of options, but the fill up pretty quickly. There's the Pavilion (hella pricey), Arlington Court Condos, The Jeffersonian, Graduate Cenre, and Ivy Apartments. Those are the main options I know about after a couple of months of research and living in Charlottesville since I'm here for undergrad.
Okay, so I got sucked in by the Pavilion's website (it just looks so gorgeous). Is there really a huge quality difference, though?

The UVA housing their advertising (the range on the lawn) are single rooms without air conditioning. However, I used to live in Copeley which is on-grounds housing right across from the law school. If you're interested, I'm sure you could call UVA housing and ask about it.

I've heard the Pavilion is nice, but very overpriced. However a lot of people choose it because of the ease of obtaining a rental there. The other places you have to apply super early (some applications opened December 1) to have a chance at a place. There are also places that start to be listed on craigslist and such later in the year. I won't lie, finding housing in Charlottesville is kind of a headache.

Don't do Pavilion! For $250-275 less a month, my roommate for next year and I just got a townhouse right across the street from Pavilion. Pavilion doesn't cover your utilities any way, so why not have a townhouse with a backyard and free parking? There's only two or three left! http://woodardproperties.com/real-estat ... boulevard/

RedWhite&Blonde

Bronze

Post by RedWhite&Blonde » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:32 pm

hamiltoniana wrote:
RedWhite&Blonde wrote:
lawandorder2019 wrote:
RedWhite&Blonde wrote:
lawandorder2019 wrote:

Don't do Pavilion! For $250-275 less a month, my roommate for next year and I just got a townhouse right across the street from Pavilion. Pavilion doesn't cover your utilities any way, so why not have a townhouse with a backyard and free parking? There's only two or three left! http://woodardproperties.com/real-estat ... boulevard/
Thanks for the recommendation. The Pavilion's website says they provide Internet and cable, plus a pool and gym--not sure if the townhouses cover that.

hamiltoniana

New

Post by hamiltoniana » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:42 pm

RedWhite&Blonde wrote:
hamiltoniana wrote:
RedWhite&Blonde wrote:
lawandorder2019 wrote:
RedWhite&Blonde wrote:
lawandorder2019 wrote:

Thanks for the recommendation. The Pavilion's website says they provide Internet and cable, plus a pool and gym--not sure if the townhouses cover that.
If you really want all those things, then you might prefer Pavilion. My roommate and I really didn't care about cable or a pool (we wouldn't use either), but we have a washer and dryer in-unit (Pavilion does too) which was more important to us. The internet is apparently 1000000000000000 times better than at Ivy, which was also a big thing.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RedWhite&Blonde

Bronze

Post by RedWhite&Blonde » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:48 pm

hamiltoniana wrote:
RedWhite&Blonde wrote:
hamiltoniana wrote:
RedWhite&Blonde wrote:
lawandorder2019 wrote:
RedWhite&Blonde wrote:
lawandorder2019 wrote:

If you really want all those things, then you might prefer Pavilion. My roommate and I really didn't care about cable or a pool (we wouldn't use either), but we have a washer and dryer in-unit (Pavilion does too) which was more important to us. The internet is apparently 1000000000000000 times better than at Ivy, which was also a big thing.
Yeah, internet quality and in-unit washer/dryer is super important. Does Ivy have a gym? (Sorry if I got the name wrong :p) Also, can you log onto the UVA housing site before committing?

Tom_Hagen

New

Post by Tom_Hagen » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:49 pm

fliptrip wrote:
[/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote]

If the pool is a difference maker, there's now a pool at north grounds rec which is also a full gym- which is like a 5 minute walk too. Not trying to convince you of anything just adding in.

Mrs Featherbottom

New

Post by Mrs Featherbottom » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:23 pm

hamiltoniana wrote:
RedWhite&Blonde wrote:
hamiltoniana wrote:
Putting in an application at Arlington Park this week actually. Spoke to one of the reps this morning. Five units left supposedly.

hamiltoniana

New

Post by hamiltoniana » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:59 pm

Also: note well that the Pavilion fire alarm apparently goes off all the damn time.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tflan19

Bronze

Post by tflan19 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:50 pm

I know travel stipends are based on the state you have on your admissions application. However, has anyone tried to get their stipend level adjusted for where their current residence actually is? I used my home rather than my college address and the flights and stipend are substantially different costs from each location.

EnderWiggin

Silver

Post by EnderWiggin » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:55 pm

tflan19 wrote:I know travel stipends are based on the state you have on your admissions application. However, has anyone tried to get their stipend level adjusted for where their current residence actually is? I used my home rather than my college address and the flights and stipend are substantially different costs from each location.
This seems like an exceedingly reasonable thing to ask Admissions about. As long as you'd actually be traveling to Charlottesville from the city your college is in, I think it's a fair request to make.

tflan19

Bronze

Post by tflan19 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:34 am

EnderWiggin wrote:
tflan19 wrote:I know travel stipends are based on the state you have on your admissions application. However, has anyone tried to get their stipend level adjusted for where their current residence actually is? I used my home rather than my college address and the flights and stipend are substantially different costs from each location.
This seems like an exceedingly reasonable thing to ask Admissions about. As long as you'd actually be traveling to Charlottesville from the city your college is in, I think it's a fair request to make.
Yeah, the more that I think about it, the more confident I am that I should ask instead of just eating the extra cost. If they're willing to throw thousands of dollars in scholarships to admits, I'm bet they'll give me an extra $150 to come visit.

The repeated bold and underlining of the address utilized portion just scared me haha

coldmonkey13

Bronze

Post by coldmonkey13 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:02 am

~
Last edited by coldmonkey13 on Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nicola16

Bronze

Post by nicola16 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:31 am

coldmonkey13 wrote:Are most people more interested in living alone in 1L or are there folks looking for a roommate?
I'm looking for a female roommate! I think my post got swallowed up above, but PM me if you want to talk!

muhami

New

Post by muhami » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:27 am

Hey everyone,

Congrats on getting into UVA, you're going to love it! I'm a 3L at UVA and am headed to NYC BigLaw after graduation.

I've lived in a pretty nice apartment all 3 years here. The apt is a one bedroom/one bathroom with a small-ish kitchen and a good size living room and a designated parking spot. It is a literal 3 minute walk to the front door of Withers-Brown Hall (the main classroom hall). The address is 2432 Arlington Blvd. Charlottesville, VA 22903. In case you're not familiar with Arlington Blvd, Arlington Court Condominiums is across the street from The Jeffersonian and up the hill from The Pavilion. Which makes it the closest apartment complex to the law school.

I have furniture I bought when I moved here that fits the apt perfectly and that I'd like to sell. If you're looking for a private, close and affordable one bedroom apt send me an email: mih4ex@virginia.edu

Wahoowa!

Nagster5

Silver

Post by Nagster5 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:50 am

coldmonkey13 wrote:Are most people more interested in living alone in 1L or are there folks looking for a roommate?
I am looking for a 1L roomate. Would only be for a year since my wife will be moving up after 1L. It's Arlington Court, which is the best place in terms of proximity/quality/price by a long shot. Anyone interested feel free to PM me.

RedWhite&Blonde

Bronze

Post by RedWhite&Blonde » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:51 pm

EnderWiggin wrote:
Yes, just update your address and they'll give it to you!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

urbanist11

Silver

Post by urbanist11 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:51 pm

UVA sure has been sending a lot of emails lately

James.K.Polk

Silver

Post by James.K.Polk » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:55 pm

urbanist11 wrote:UVA sure has been sending a lot of emails lately
They know it's near scholarship time, and they don't care :lol:

herecomesthesun

Bronze

Post by herecomesthesun » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:58 pm

James.K.Polk wrote:
It gives me a minor heart attack. But also they mostly do actual scholarships via snail mail from what I know :(

doobleykah

Bronze

Post by doobleykah » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:59 pm

James.K.Polk wrote:
Money is irrelevant. Now that I know that UVA "offers its students immediate access to hands-on training that complements traditional coursework", my bags are f*cking packed!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Tycho

Bronze

Post by Tycho » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:00 pm

herecomesthesun wrote:
James.K.Polk wrote:
It gives me a minor heart attack. But also they mostly do actual scholarships via snail mail from what I know :(
I'll give them credit. I've gotten more correspondence from them than any other school I've been admitted to.

herecomesthesun

Bronze

Post by herecomesthesun » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:02 pm

Tycho wrote:
herecomesthesun wrote:
James.K.Polk wrote:
I'll give them credit. I've gotten more correspondence from them than any other school I've been admitted to.
They're interesting enough emails that make me like UVA more, but I don't know if I can justify UVA at sticker so it's a sad sort of excitement

urbanist11

Silver

Post by urbanist11 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:05 pm

Yeah sticker would be insane. I'll likely be withdrawing once I hear I'm not getting money, which seems like what is about to happen.

James.K.Polk

Silver

Post by James.K.Polk » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:28 pm

urbanist11 wrote:Yeah sticker would be insane. I'll likely be withdrawing once I hear I'm not getting money, which seems like what is about to happen.
+1. Loved UVA when I visited, love the admissions team, but it just seems like UVA is more tight-fisted than my other options, when it comes to scholarships.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2019 Forum”