Cold Feet Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)
NoLieAbility

Bronze

Cold Feet

Post by NoLieAbility » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:58 pm

Is anyone else feeling it? I was a highschool dropout. I went to undergrad with the specific goal of becoming an attorney. Worked my ass off to get a T14 with a scholarship, and I was confident in my decision the entire time. Now, less than two weeks before classes start, and I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't go back to working night security at a factory.

Clemenceau

Silver

Re: Cold Feet

Post by Clemenceau » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:04 pm

Cold feet about the career decision in general? Or law school itself?

Personally I'm chomping at the bit to get started with law school. The atty lifestyle post-law school is a bit anxiety inducing though, so I get that.

NoLieAbility

Bronze

Post by NoLieAbility » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:12 pm

Clemenceau wrote:Cold feet about the career decision in general? Or law school itself?

Personally I'm chomping at the bit to get started with law school. The atty lifestyle post-law school is a bit anxiety inducing though, so I get that.

NoLieAbility

Bronze

Post by NoLieAbility » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:13 pm

NoLieAbility wrote:
Clemenceau wrote:Cold feet about the career decision in general? Or law school itself?

Maybe all of the above? I've got a general sense of unease about the future as a whole at this point. It's likely just some anxiety based on a long-term goal starting to become a reality. That, coupled with reading a lot of TLS hate on the profession.

Yeezus

Bronze

Post by Yeezus » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:47 pm

NoLieAbility wrote:
NoLieAbility wrote:

Maybe all of the above? I've got a general sense of unease about the future as a whole at this point. It's likely just some anxiety based on a long-term goal starting to become a reality. That, coupled with reading a lot of TLS hate on the profession.
I'm feeling something similar, to a lesser degree. I think it's a perfectly natural response, especially with such a life changing decision.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:54 pm

I think a lot of people face some sort of anxiety at this point in the process. Considering you're going to a good school with money, and you've wanted to do this for such a long time, you should just try to ignore it.

OhBoyOhBortles

Gold

Post by OhBoyOhBortles » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:03 pm

chuckbass wrote:I think a lot of people face some sort of anxiety at this point in the process. Considering you're going to a good school with money, and you've wanted to do this for such a long time, you should just try to ignore it.
I think a lot of people are feeling it. However, I don't think ignoring it is the right call. I started feeling doubtful/anxious a couple weeks ago. I sat down and jotted out some other options for the coming year if I were to be granted a deferral, withdraw, or what have you. After jotting those options down I worked through some pros and cons for each, and, in the end, it strengthened my resolve to go to law school. You may have a similar experience or maybe there really is something else you'd rather be doing.

Regardless of how you work through it, or whether or not you do work through it, I think a little doubt right now is healthy. And normal. (At least that's what I told myself.)

rnoodles

Platinum

Post by rnoodles » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:52 pm

I really wanted to add something to this post because I feel like a little positivity and reassurance from others can go a long way for you.

There is a lot of value to any argument that would encourage you to step back and consider if law school is really right for you. For some people, it may sound like the greatest idea up until the very last minute. For others, it's been a lifelong dream. Still for other people, law school is better than whatever the other available options may be. Point is, everyone is different and every case is unique.

Right now, you have been given an opportunity that a lot of people would definitely love to have. Duke (admittedly creeped your profile bro, sorry!) is a phenomenal school, and you're going there with a scholarship too. Your life story is remarkable: high school dropout to getting an education with aspirations to practice law. That motivated you to perform substantially better in UG and on the LSAT than most of your peers and a good number of applicants as well. I can't say whether you will be fulfilled once classes start, or whether law school is really right for you. Neither can anyone on this thread or site. Only you can. So consider how hard you worked, what sacrifices you made, the excitement and joy you felt before you decide to withdraw. (Personally, I recommend a deferral if you really, really want to consider whether LS is right without giving up your offer.)

Last but definitely not least, other people are totally right. It's very normal to experience a bit of stress, uncertainty, and anxiety just before classes start. Speaking VERY broadly, this is the beginning of a lifelong career. It's not like UG, where you can study in various disciplines and work in different fields afterward. LS teaches you the law, exposes you to different aspects of the law, etc. I'm only a 0L, so I obviously don't know much about this and would definitely welcome input from much better informed posters on the site. But in short, don't feel overwhelmed by something that is really commonplace and expected. Try other things, like focusing on the positivity (without being disillusioned, of course) for a while and see how that changes your outlook.

Whatever you decide to do OP, I wish you the absolute best! You killed it up to this point, and your results have been phenomenal thus. Congratulations, and here's to hoping for many more successes to come.

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:58 pm

Saw a great post by rnoodles and randomly clicked this thread to find another great post by rnoodles. Really only posting to commend that, but I'll note I'm anxious insofar as I'm anxious to get started. I guess the nerves are there underneath it all, but I'll deal with those when I start actually going to class.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

stronitsing

New

Post by stronitsing » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:23 pm

NoLieAbility wrote:Is anyone else feeling it? I was a highschool dropout. I went to undergrad with the specific goal of becoming an attorney. Worked my ass off to get a T14 with a scholarship, and I was confident in my decision the entire time. Now, less than two weeks before classes start, and I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't go back to working night security at a factory.
You haven't listed a single reason (good or bad) to second guess your decision to attend. Rather, youre just saying you're nervous, which is normal. if you didn't want to be an attorney that's one thing- but it appears you do. I say enjoy the t14- you'll meet interesting people and the 3 years isn't as brutal as a lot of people make it seem.

rnoodles

Platinum

Post by rnoodles » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:44 pm

KMart wrote:Saw a great post by rnoodles and randomly clicked this thread to find another great post by rnoodles. Really only posting to commend that, but I'll note I'm anxious insofar as I'm anxious to get started. I guess the nerves are there underneath it all, but I'll deal with those when I start actually going to class.
Much appreciation, brother. Best of luck in Chicago!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”