Rent vs. Buy 1L textbooks Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)
mootpoint

New

Rent vs. Buy 1L textbooks

Post by mootpoint » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:03 pm

It may be a matter of preference, but does anyone have suggestions on which method is best for 1L students?

Serett

Re: Rent vs. Buy 1L textbooks

Post by Serett » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:42 pm

As long as make sure your classes are done prior to the due date, renting.

Edit: But I don't write or highlight in my books, so that's an easy choice for me.

clshopeful

Bronze

Post by clshopeful » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:29 pm

I highlight and write in margins and still rent. Never had a problem in college or so far in law school (sent mine in a few weeks ago)

SunnySinceWhen

New

Post by SunnySinceWhen » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:10 pm

I rented last semester and didn't have a problem returning. The quality of the books was as advertised and there was no shipping delay (I purchased fairly early from sellers with lots of 5-star reviews). I tended to take notes in my own notebook then transfer them to a Word doc later, so previous users' extensive highlighting and annotations were not too irritating.

For this coming semester, I bought books for about $20 less than the Amazon rental rate off the school listserv. Pros: was able to inspect them in person before handing over cash, can probably resell later, was able to get the logistics taken care of right after exams. Cons: meeting in person over break is probably hard to arrange if you have a life.

acr

Silver

Post by acr » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:56 pm

current 1L

For next semester I'm getting new books because the ones I rented were marked up beyond belief and I found it distracting

I'm sure it would be okay for most people but for me the money is worth saving the mild annoyance

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Joscellin

Gold

Post by Joscellin » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:23 pm

acr wrote:current 1L

For next semester I'm getting new books because the ones I rented were marked up beyond belief and I found it distracting

I'm sure it would be okay for most people but for me the money is worth saving the mild annoyance
I'm in the same boat.

Phil Brooks

Bronze

Post by Phil Brooks » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:30 pm

Save money and borrow the books on reserve at the library. Pay nothing for books over three years. That's around $5100 + interest less debt.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”