Does anyone else get cold feet? Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)
spideynutskllz

New

Does anyone else get cold feet?

Post by spideynutskllz » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:47 am

I've already submitted my seat and housing deposit to a law school. Some days I'm happy and excited to start but other days I find myself rethinking my decision to attend law school. I wonder if it will be worth it and whether I should get a job in my undergraduate field instead. Anyone have comments?

Johann

Diamond

Re: Does anyone else get cold feet?

Post by Johann » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:49 am

What's your undergrad field and what law school?

fisheatbananas

Bronze

Post by fisheatbananas » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:30 am

I'm a 0L. I wouldn't describe it as cold feet but some days I'm more/less excited about going back to school in the fall.

But my UG degree is useless by itself so that's more reason for me to go to law school...

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:36 am

fisheatbananas wrote:But my UG degree is useless by itself so that's more reason for me to go to law school...
The sentiment that launched a thousand train wreck legal careers.

Many (most?) legal degrees are useless by themselves. Just because you have a JD doesn't mean you'll get a job, as a lawyer or otherwise. And a BA in philosophy/english/sociology doesn't preclude you from getting a good job.

ETA: We just did the above spiel at my college...

OhBoyOhBortles

Gold

Post by OhBoyOhBortles » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:38 am

usn26 wrote:
fisheatbananas wrote:But my UG degree is useless by itself so that's more reason for me to go to law school...

Many (most?) legal degrees are useless by themselves. Just because you have a JD doesn't mean you'll get a job, as a lawyer or otherwise. And a BA in philosophy/english/sociology doesn't preclude you from getting a good job.
This is true. I have a decent position, with the potential for growth, with an English degree. Taking a couple years to work may be a good idea.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:21 am

Last edited by Hikikomorist on Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tuxedocat

Silver

Post by tuxedocat » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:01 pm

Yup. But I think if you're 110% sure that going to law school is a fantastic idea then you're a fucking idiot.

fisheatbananas

Bronze

Post by fisheatbananas » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:11 pm

OhBoyOhBortles wrote:
usn26 wrote:

This is true. I have a decent position, with the potential for growth, with an English degree. Taking a couple years to work may be a good idea.
You're right, I am actually working right now but would be able to come back to my current job at a higher position after I get a J.D.

fisheatbananas

Bronze

Post by fisheatbananas » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:14 pm

tuxedocat wrote:Yup. But I think if you're 110% sure that going to law school is a fantastic idea then you're a fucking idiot.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

misskatejd

New

Post by misskatejd » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:21 pm

I actually kinda look forward to going back to school, I've been out since 2013, and I would rather go to school than work full time like I do now. Even though school cuts into your personal night time at home and your not "done" at 5:30, it is you who determines how much effort and when to put into an assignment/or reading. Basically you call the shots, for better or for worse, not your boss. I like the autonomy.

fisheatbananas

Bronze

Post by fisheatbananas » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:24 pm

misskatejd wrote:I actually kinda look forward to going back to school, I've been out since 2013, and I would rather go to school than work full time like I do now. Even though school cuts into your personal night time at home and your not "done" at 5:30, it is you who determines how much effort and when to put into an assignment/or reading. Basically you call the shots, for better or for worse, not your boss. I like the autonomy.
I agree, but for me the cold feet' par comes in when I think about what i'm going to do after graduation

mvp99

Silver

Post by mvp99 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:37 pm

I think
usn26 wrote:

ETA: We just did the above spiel at my college...
I think partners can smell this from miles away..

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:39 pm

I get cold feet all the time. Read 5-hour Work Week and you will too.

There's almost no room for entrepreneurialism in the legal industry. Being filthy rich these days means being an entrepreneur, not making a solid 6-figure income, shit-boomer style. So yea I'll be solid upper-middle, but I want more. So I do think about what I could do outside of law to get filthy rich. I just don't have the cajones -- going to law school is easy. It doesn't require daring.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

misskatejd

New

Post by misskatejd » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:39 pm

fisheatbananas wrote:
misskatejd wrote:I actually kinda look forward to going back to school, I've been out since 2013, and I would rather go to school than work full time like I do now. Even though school cuts into your personal night time at home and your not "done" at 5:30, it is you who determines how much effort and when to put into an assignment/or reading. Basically you call the shots, for better or for worse, not your boss. I like the autonomy.
I agree, but for me the cold feet' par comes in when I think about what i'm going to do after graduation

Sorry, just read your question closer. True.

Can you delay your attendance a year? Assuming you haven't, maybe working in a law firm for awhile could help you get a better feel of what to expect and if you really want to pursue a career as an attorney. Plus, you will get invaluable advice from the attorneys working there.

I have been working at a law firm since a couple months prior to graduation. Best thing I ever did for myself. I have a better understanding of the day to day operations and have built a network within the local area, which always helps.

LawBron James

Bronze

Post by LawBron James » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:49 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:I get cold feet all the time. Read 5-hour Work Week and you will too.

There's almost no room for entrepreneurialism in the legal industry. Being filthy rich these days means being an entrepreneur, not making a solid 6-figure income, shit-boomer style. So yea I'll be solid upper-middle, but I want more. So I do think about what I could do outside of law to get filthy rich. I just don't have the cajones -- going to law school is easy. It doesn't require daring.
I've thought about this a lot, and while I'm comfortable with the route that my JD is most likely going to take me, I still try to surround myself with entrepreneurial people as much as I can. Especially during law school (specifically 2L and 3L year), I think there's still the possibility of taking on a small role on the ground floor of something and seeing how it pans out. While even a T-14 JD isn't exactly the smartest way to go if you want to be an entrepreneur, it does add value (along with whatever other degree/WE you have) if that is the route you eventually want to take.

fisheatbananas

Bronze

Post by fisheatbananas » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:55 pm

misskatejd wrote:
fisheatbananas wrote:

Sorry, just read your question closer. True.

Can you delay your attendance a year? Assuming you haven't, maybe working in a law firm for awhile could help you get a better feel of what to expect and if you really want to pursue a career as an attorney. Plus, you will get invaluable advice from the attorneys working there.

I have been working at a law firm since a couple months prior to graduation. Best thing I ever did for myself. I have a better understanding of the day to day operations and have built a network within the local area, which always helps.
I'm assuming this is directed to OP not me...

misskatejd

New

Post by misskatejd » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:16 pm

spideynutskllz wrote:I've already submitted my seat and housing deposit to a law school. Some days I'm happy and excited to start but other days I find myself rethinking my decision to attend law school. I wonder if it will be worth it and whether I should get a job in my undergraduate field instead. Anyone have comments?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

smile0751

Bronze

Post by smile0751 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:07 am

So much of this....

orangered

New

Post by orangered » Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:23 pm

I don't have cold feet about going to law school, but half of the time I feel I chose the wrong school. Still a 0L though, so hopefully that changes.

JGMotorsport

New

Post by JGMotorsport » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:09 pm

I'm getting cold feet occasionally myself.

We've all heard the horror stories and if you're a member here you know the proper way to do law school

Reasonable Debt+T50 or strong regional

I've met this requirement, but it still scares me. My fears aren't related to school but to employment (I've always been more of a worker myself), fortunately I have a position lined up if I want it in a tertiary market doing Small Law (I don't really want it but it wouldn't be the worst thing).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”