University of Illinois Class of 2018 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

Which open house will you attend?

Friday, March 20
43%
Friday, April 3
27%
Undecided
No votes
Not attending an open house
30%

Total votes: 30

WichitaShocker

Bronze

Re: University of Illinois Class of 2018

Post by WichitaShocker » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:53 pm

bugsy33 wrote:1L here, ready to answer Qs.
What is it looking like you will be doing this summer? Do there seem to be many opportunities for the summer between your 1L and 2L?

Chardee_MacDennis

Bronze

Post by Chardee_MacDennis » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:59 pm

WichitaShocker wrote:
What is it looking like you will be doing this summer? Do there seem to be many opportunities for the summer between your 1L and 2L?
Yes, although understand that you most likely will not be paid (though you can get externship credit in most instances).

Most students end up working for judges, both federal and state. I know some students worked for various legal/government entities (e.g., A.G.'s office, state rep). Very few (most likely IP students) will be able to find something that pays.

During OCI, most employers use it as a talking point, so be prepared to show enthusiasm for what you did, what you learned/liked most, etc.... It also helps if you work in a geographic location where you want to settle, but this isn't necessarily a universal truth (some folks worked out of Chicago but landed biglaw gigs there, but grades helped quite a bit).

WichitaShocker

Bronze

Post by WichitaShocker » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:13 pm

Chardee_MacDennis wrote:
WichitaShocker wrote:
Yes, although understand that you most likely will not be paid (though you can get externship credit in most instances).

Most students end up working for judges, both federal and state. I know some students worked for various legal/government entities (e.g., A.G.'s office, state rep). Very few (most likely IP students) will be able to find something that pays.

During OCI, most employers use it as a talking point, so be prepared to show enthusiasm for what you did, what you learned/liked most, etc.... It also helps if you work in a geographic location where you want to settle, but this isn't necessarily a universal truth (some folks worked out of Chicago but landed biglaw gigs there, but grades helped quite a bit).
Thank you for replying. I didn't think there would be many paid 1L summer gigs, but it is nice to know there are opportunities to build your resume.

sprinky07

New

Post by sprinky07 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:46 pm

If you don't mind me asking, where are you living?

Personally, I think I'd like to live in a 1 bedroom and have looked at The Village (seems to be a pretty popular option). Just not sure whether I can afford the rent while relying completely on student loans!

bugsy33

Bronze

Post by bugsy33 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:44 pm

sprinky07 wrote:

Personally, I think I'd like to live in a 1 bedroom and have looked at The Village (seems to be a pretty popular option). Just not sure whether I can afford the rent while relying completely on student loans!
I live in a 2 bedroom at the Village. I know a few people that live in 1 bedrooms and make it work on student loans, it'll be tight though. As we get closer to spring, there will eventually be a facebook group and an admitted students forum where you can try to find a roommate. I would recommend living with someone else to keep the cost as low as possible.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sprinky07

New

Post by sprinky07 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:02 am

bugsy33 wrote:
sprinky07 wrote:

I live in a 2 bedroom at the Village. I know a few people that live in 1 bedrooms and make it work on student loans, it'll be tight though. As we get closer to spring, there will eventually be a facebook group and an admitted students forum where you can try to find a roommate. I would recommend living with someone else to keep the cost as low as possible.
What's your overall impression of the Village? I've seen some great reviews as well as some poor ones. Specifically, how timely are the shuttles? Do they run to/from the bars/downtown areas on weekends?

PublicInterest2018

New

Post by PublicInterest2018 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:30 pm

I'm an admitted student checking in. Looking forward to the open house on the 20th.

Okie25

New

Post by Okie25 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:33 pm

If I fly to Chicago, can i get away without renting a car? There's a bus that goes from the airport to champaign but is there good transportation in champaign or will I need a car to get from the school to my hotel and around champaign if I want to see apartments

sprinky07

New

Post by sprinky07 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:30 pm

Okie25 wrote:If I fly to Chicago, can i get away without renting a car? There's a bus that goes from the airport to champaign but is there good transportation in champaign or will I need a car to get from the school to my hotel and around champaign if I want to see apartments
You can get away with it, but it would probably make more sense from both a practical and financial standpoint to just rent a car.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Ms4life

New

Post by Ms4life » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:54 pm

Checking in. Thinking of attending on the 20th, but flights out of LAX are so damn expensive even with the travel assistance. What amount equates to full scholarship? I got full at Iowa, so I want to further negotiate once that packet comes in.

TLawannabe

New

Post by TLawannabe » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:07 pm

Just got accepted yesterday! As of now I'm 90% sure i'll be attending. Coming all the way from Florida, if anyone is attending the April 3rd open house let me know.

thatguy12

New

Post by thatguy12 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:02 pm

Can the current students shed some light on the school culture? I value some competition but I'm fearful of a cut throat environment where you can't trust most of your peers, throws a tantrum about notes a day you get sick or purposely hide books in the library. Sounds stupid, I know, just want to know how I'll fit in?

Chardee_MacDennis

Bronze

Post by Chardee_MacDennis » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:56 pm

thatguy12 wrote:Can the current students shed some light on the school culture? I value some competition but I'm fearful of a cut throat environment where you can't trust most of your peers, throws a tantrum about notes a day you get sick or purposely hide books in the library. Sounds stupid, I know, just want to know how I'll fit in?
The absolute worst instance of which I have heard has been someone refusing to share an outline. Otherwise, everyone is pretty chill. You'll be fine.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Wingtip88

Bronze

Post by Wingtip88 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:46 pm

I've worked under/been friends with several UIUC attorneys and they all have had really positive things to say about the school/culture.

Okie25

New

Post by Okie25 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:25 pm

Is admissions going to start a FB group

bugsy33

Bronze

Post by bugsy33 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:58 pm

Okie25 wrote:Is admissions going to start a FB group
Negative. If one of ya'll is 100% sure that you're going here, feel free to make a closed group and send the link to Rebecca Ray, she'll send it out in the admitted students newsletter.

thatguy12

New

Post by thatguy12 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:13 am

Does anyone know what the average commute time via shuttle from the village is? I think I saw someone mention waiting at most 15 minutes for the shuttle to arrive, but not much else. Any other opinions about them would be extremely helpful!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Chardee_MacDennis

Bronze

Post by Chardee_MacDennis » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:22 am

thatguy12 wrote:Does anyone know what the average commute time via shuttle from the village is? I think I saw someone mention waiting at most 15 minutes for the shuttle to arrive, but not much else. Any other opinions about them would be extremely helpful!
It's about a 15-min ride from The Village to campus during the week. It runs pretty regularly, every 15-30 mins (less reliably lately, from what I've heard). The Village has some sort of app/web tracker that allows you to see where the shuttle is at any given time.

Iwanttolawschool

Bronze

Post by Iwanttolawschool » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:23 pm

Attending the April 3rd Admitted Student Day. Wondering which Hotel to book, the suggestions they give us are..
I Hotel and Conference Center
Hilton Garden Inn Champaign-Urbana
Homewood Suites by Hilton Champaign-Urbana
Illini Union

I won't have a car there, so convenience is going to be the main factor. Any thoughts are appreciated

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:30 pm

Who is attending the 20th?

Mustafa5

New

Post by Mustafa5 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:41 pm

imKMart wrote:Who is attending the 20th?
I'm probably going to be there.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bugsy33

Bronze

Post by bugsy33 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:28 pm

Iwanttolawschool wrote:Attending the April 3rd Admitted Student Day. Wondering which Hotel to book, the suggestions they give us are..
I Hotel and Conference Center
Hilton Garden Inn Champaign-Urbana
Homewood Suites by Hilton Champaign-Urbana
Illini Union

I won't have a car there, so convenience is going to be the main factor. Any thoughts are appreciated
I'd stay at the Union. It's closest to the bars, and about a 10-15 minute walk to the law building.

WichitaShocker

Bronze

Post by WichitaShocker » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:36 pm

I'll be there.

Ms4life

New

Post by Ms4life » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:12 pm

WichitaShocker wrote:
I'll be there.
I'll be there as well. Coming from Chicago with a friend who lives there (I'm from CA).

jerrycallo

New

Post by jerrycallo » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:36 pm

Last edited by jerrycallo on Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”