UC Berkeley (Boalt Hall) Law Class of 2018 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

Which ASW events are you attending?

BJSA Welcome Event
No votes
FGP Welcome Dinner
34%
WOCC Dinner
16%
BHWA Happy Hour
9%
BJIL BBQ
6%
BTLJ Happy Hour
No votes
BJELL Happy Hour
No votes
AAPI Dinner
13%
MELSA Dinner
3%
La Raza Welcome
19%

Total votes: 32

lawschool134

New

Re: UC Berkeley (Boalt Hall) Law Class of 2018

Post by lawschool134 » Thu May 14, 2015 6:32 pm

Hey all longtime lurker, made an account to ask this question. Does anyone know if being listed as "tentatively attending" counts as a formal deposit? I'm deposited at another school and listed as tentatively for Berkeley.

Curious because of this: http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/the-mu ... ot-happen/

arose928

Bronze

Post by arose928 » Fri May 15, 2015 1:10 pm

lawschool134 wrote:Hey all longtime lurker, made an account to ask this question. Does anyone know if being listed as "tentatively attending" counts as a formal deposit? I'm deposited at another school and listed as tentatively for Berkeley.

I don't believe so, it's just holding a spot while whatever needs to be worked out is worked out. Once you declare a definite intent to enroll, that's when you need to withdraw from other schools. Here's the relevant bit from an email I got once I declared intent to enroll:
I am delighted to confirm that we have received your declaration indicating your definite intent to enroll at Berkeley Law in August. As we do not require a deposit, I will now presume that you have turned down your other admission offers. Please let me know immediately if your plans change for any reason between now and when classes begin in August, including a wait list offer from another school, or if you have any mitigating factors that may affect your joining us.
I interpret "I will now presume that you have turned down your other admission offers" as that they didn't expect you to turn down other offers before that point, but only after that point.

slurpy

New

Post by slurpy » Fri May 15, 2015 4:33 pm

arose928 wrote:
lawschool134 wrote:Hey all longtime lurker, made an account to ask this question. Does anyone know if being listed as "tentatively attending" counts as a formal deposit? I'm deposited at another school and listed as tentatively for Berkeley.

I don't believe so, it's just holding a spot while whatever needs to be worked out is worked out. Once you declare a definite intent to enroll, that's when you need to withdraw from other schools. Here's the relevant bit from an email I got once I declared intent to enroll:
I am delighted to confirm that we have received your declaration indicating your definite intent to enroll at Berkeley Law in August. As we do not require a deposit, I will now presume that you have turned down your other admission offers. Please let me know immediately if your plans change for any reason between now and when classes begin in August, including a wait list offer from another school, or if you have any mitigating factors that may affect your joining us.
I interpret "I will now presume that you have turned down your other admission offers" as that they didn't expect you to turn down other offers before that point, but only after that point.
This is incorrect. I deposited at UChicago, and was listed as tentatively attending Berkeley (though I sent a withdrawal email to Berkeley which they apparently never acted on), and Chicago emailed me today saying that LSAC's Commitment Overlap report told them I'm "deposited" at Berkeley. So I'm pretty sure tentatively attending shows up to LSAC as deposited.

sheishkabob

Bronze

Post by sheishkabob » Mon May 18, 2015 4:34 pm

Has anyone else who has gotten a scholarship award had it really lag to show up on bearfacts? I got one ~3 weeks ago, and its still not on there

allsystemsgo

New

Post by allsystemsgo » Wed May 20, 2015 2:48 pm

PSA: If you're going to used grad plus loans, Berkeley doesn't do the credit check until July for some reason. So if you're worried about working with the direct loans people, it'd be best to contact the loan disbursal people at Berkeley early and get your credit checked early. That way you have time to fix credit issues now and not when you're in the middle of moving and packing and all that fun stuff.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jinxpoem4

New

Post by jinxpoem4 » Mon May 25, 2015 5:49 pm

Committed!!!! See you all there! So excited :)

arose928

Bronze

Post by arose928 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:45 pm

Did you guys get the email about the pre-orientation the week before classes start? Anyone planning on doing it (or applying for it at least)?

madz

New

Post by madz » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:00 pm

I ran it by two attorneys in my office, both said no need to go. I'm recent (advanced degree) grad; English is my first language. I don't think I'm applying.

lawschoolyayyy

New

Post by lawschoolyayyy » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:57 am

Welcome, Boalties! You're in for a ride :shock: DM me for questions and I'll answer your questions to the best that I can :D

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Flokkness

Bronze

Post by Flokkness » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:21 pm

lawschoolyayyy wrote:Welcome, Boalties! You're in for a ride :shock: DM me for questions and I'll answer your questions to the best that I can :D
Awesome, thanks!

Anybody else a go for pre orientation?

hayoungiee

New

Post by hayoungiee » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:36 pm

Flokkness wrote:
lawschoolyayyy wrote:Welcome, Boalties! You're in for a ride :shock: DM me for questions and I'll answer your questions to the best that I can :D
Awesome, thanks!

Did you get in? I applied, but wasn't accepted in the end. Tell us how it goes!

Flokkness

Bronze

Post by Flokkness » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:12 pm

hayoungiee wrote:
Flokkness wrote:
Awesome, thanks!

Sorry, that blows. Yeah I applied (due to being an old timer coming off the shelf) and got in, thankfully.

Will do.

Flokkness

Bronze

Post by Flokkness » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:13 pm

hayoungiee wrote:
Flokkness wrote:
Awesome, thanks!

Sorry, that blows. Yeah I applied (due to being an old timer coming off the shelf) and got in, thankfully.

Will do.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hayoungiee

New

Post by hayoungiee » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:06 pm

Flokkness wrote:
hayoungiee wrote:
Flokkness wrote:
Awesome, thanks!

Will do.
Yeah, I'm pretty much a K-JD (graduated in 2013), but it seemed like an interesting program so I applied anyway. Congrats!

Elleonleo

New

Post by Elleonleo » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:28 pm

I am an incoming transfer student but got an email addressed to everyone regarding financial aid. Did anyone get this email about financial aid (no longer offering need based but instead offering some kind of scholarship)? It is essentially incomprehensible what it ACTUALLY means. What would be the practical difference between what they were going to offer (need based) and this? Is this just a way for them to offer you less? Any thoughts?

app25

New

Post by app25 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:13 pm

Hey everyone,

Does anyone know if we get to download Microsoft word for free through a Berkeley website?

Flokkness

Bronze

Post by Flokkness » Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:16 pm

app25 wrote:Hey everyone,

Does anyone know if we get to download Microsoft word for free through a Berkeley website?
https://www.law.berkeley.edu/software/
https://www.software.berkeley.education

2nd link takes you to MS Office 2013, Windows 7/8, etc. Haven't used any of the free stuff yet personally but hope that helps.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Flokkness

Bronze

Post by Flokkness » Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:21 pm

Anybody seen any movement on section assignend or schedules? Getting close to party time... :P

Redamon1

Bronze

Post by Redamon1 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:18 pm

Hi all,

Is there a Facebook group for the class of 2018? Can't seem to find it...

arose928

Bronze

Post by arose928 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:46 am

Redamon1 wrote:Hi all,

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Berkele ... nofficial/

Redamon1

Bronze

Post by Redamon1 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:26 pm

arose928 wrote:
Redamon1 wrote:Hi all,

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Berkele ... nofficial/
Thanks! I swear I typed in all possible key words in the Facebook search bar and this group never came up.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

app25

New

Post by app25 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:24 pm

Hey, does anyone know when we should expect to get loan disbursements? I emailed financial aid and haven't heard anything back yet.

sophiepa

New

Post by sophiepa » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:58 pm

Is anyone having trouble accessing their monthly e-bill? I can see the fees posted under quick statement, but can't be directed to the e-bill. I get an error. I'm waiting on a response from student billing but was wondering if anyone else is having trouble as well.

savethewhales

New

Post by savethewhales » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:18 pm

I can't access it either. I get this error, "Data posted to the service is invalid or the account you are trying to access is not available at this time. Please contact your institution for assistance." It seems like something that will get resolved in the next week or two.

p89sean16

New

Post by p89sean16 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:58 pm

Same to the above. I tried to waive my SHIP last week and also had an error message and when I called the Tang Health Center they said I wasn't a registered student yet. That's probably the crux of the issue, and I assume it will be resolved shortly as well.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”