Harvard Law School Class of 2018 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

Where are you in the decision process?

I'll be at HLS next fall!
65%
Still waiting to hear from another school....
3%
Still waiting to hear about financial aid :(
6%
Absolutely unsure
6%
Already withdrew from HLS
20%

Total votes: 143

HorseThief

Silver

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Post by HorseThief » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:00 pm

LetsGoMets wrote:Thanks, HorseThief. Did you feel like there was anything you missed out on by not going to the first one, or do you think there's no downside to waiting for the warmer weather?
Nah, you'll get the same info at both. The early one might have been more heavily attended, but there were still tons of people at the second.

RSN

Silver

Post by RSN » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:07 pm

HorseThief wrote:
LetsGoMets wrote:Thanks, HorseThief. Did you feel like there was anything you missed out on by not going to the first one, or do you think there's no downside to waiting for the warmer weather?
Nah, you'll get the same info at both. The early one might have been more heavily attended, but there were still tons of people at the second.
Okay, cool, thanks. Yeah, I mean I assumed the info is the same by design, just meant in terms of attendance, chances for checking out better living arrangements before the pool is smaller, any other less obvious factors, etc.

LoganCouture

Gold

Post by LoganCouture » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:09 pm

LetsGoMets wrote:
HorseThief wrote:
Okay, cool, thanks. Yeah, I mean I assumed the info is the same by design, just meant in terms of attendance, chances for checking out better living arrangements before the pool is smaller, any other less obvious factors, etc.
I would think one advantage would be being able to evaluate H in light of its financial aid offer/the scholarships you are considering from other schools. That's why I'm waiting until April anyway. I don't want to fall in love with it before I find out what kind of $$ I'm looking at, from H and elsewhere.

RSN

Silver

Post by RSN » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:17 pm

lc39 wrote:
LetsGoMets wrote:
HorseThief wrote:
I would think one advantage would be being able to evaluate H in light of its financial aid offer/the scholarships you are considering from other schools. That's why I'm waiting until April anyway. I don't want to fall in love with it before I find out what kind of $$ I'm looking at, from H and elsewhere.
Definitely another good point.

Just looking at the dates, I'm realizing that the 2nd ASW is getting precariously close to deposit deadlines at some schools, which makes me a little nervous, though I know double depositing is a thing.

HorseThief

Silver

Post by HorseThief » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:19 pm

LetsGoMets wrote:
HorseThief wrote:
Some apartments do get swiped in March, but you'll have no (more) trouble finding them in April. The finaid point is good too, since you'll have an opportunity to sit down with the Student Financial Services staff to talk about how the money works. Note, you won't have a package from HLS by that time (usually those get sent out during the summer), but you may find it helpful to know what other offers you have.

Keep in mind, though, I never went to the March ASW, so maybe they got Drake to perform or something and I just never heard about it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Pau.C.

New

Post by Pau.C. » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:48 pm

Last edited by Pau.C. on Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fantastic2018

New

Post by fantastic2018 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:52 pm

Pau.C. wrote:
HorseThief wrote:
Keep in mind, though, I never went to the March ASW, so maybe they got Drake to perform or something and I just never heard about it.
That actually might be a good reason to NOT go to March ASW...
Haha!

omegaweapon

Bronze

Post by omegaweapon » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:58 pm

I mostly want to go in March so that I can go to Stanford's ASW if I get in. It's one of the only schools that'd make it a hard decision, so I want to keep the option open. Although, I'm also really excited to see Harvard, and I'd have a hard time waiting anyway.

blueberrycrumble

Bronze

Post by blueberrycrumble » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:05 pm

I'll probably be going to the April ASW because I'll be doing a conference during the one in March :(

Hopefully there'll be TLSers there too!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

fantastic2018

New

Post by fantastic2018 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:13 pm

Did anyone get the login info yet for the website? Just making sure I didn't accidentally delete it in my spam folder.

ChemEng1642

Silver

Post by ChemEng1642 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:32 pm

fantastic2018 wrote:Did anyone get the login info yet for the website? Just making sure I didn't accidentally delete it in my spam folder.
I haven't yet!

fantastic2018

New

Post by fantastic2018 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:33 pm

ChemEng1642 wrote:
fantastic2018 wrote:Did anyone get the login info yet for the website? Just making sure I didn't accidentally delete it in my spam folder.
I haven't yet!
Ok, good to know I'm not the only one! Thank you!

psychmusic

Bronze

Post by psychmusic » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:11 pm

Last edited by psychmusic on Fri May 01, 2015 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LoganCouture

Gold

Post by LoganCouture » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:42 pm

HorseThief wrote:
LetsGoMets wrote:
HorseThief wrote:
Some apartments do get swiped in March, but you'll have no (more) trouble finding them in April. The finaid point is good too, since you'll have an opportunity to sit down with the Student Financial Services staff to talk about how the money works. Note, you won't have a package from HLS by that time (usually those get sent out during the summer), but you may find it helpful to know what other offers you have.
Student Financial Services indicated to me in their email that preliminary awards would be made earlier. Did that not happen last year?
HLS wrote:We expect to make our first award offers in early March, and we will strive for a two week (10 business days) award decision turnaround time from the date we notify you that your application is complete. If you complete your aid application by April 15, you will receive an award offer prior to May 1 so you can make an informed admissions decision. The timing of when your file becomes complete DOES NOT impact the award package we can offer you.

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:56 pm

There's now downside to waiting. Weather is better at the later one, and if anything they are probably more organized. Substantively they are the same though.

HorseThief

Silver

Post by HorseThief » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:50 pm

lc39 wrote:
HorseThief wrote:
LetsGoMets wrote:
I didn't get mine until late April, but my folks also took their sweet time finishing up their taxes. So I suppose you may be able to get a preliminary award earlier.

Hat.trick

Bronze

Post by Hat.trick » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:45 pm

I just got my Harvard packet in the mail! Has anyone received their admitted students login who wasn't admitted in december yet? I thought it would come in the mail

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Pau.C.

New

Post by Pau.C. » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:10 pm

Last edited by Pau.C. on Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

omegaweapon

Bronze

Post by omegaweapon » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:54 pm

Got mine today, the belt clip is really cool looking.

titusandronicus

New

Post by titusandronicus » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:55 am

Checking in. Congrats everyone, and let me know what you think of the ASWs, as I won't be able to attend either...

ChemEng1642

Silver

Post by ChemEng1642 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:34 am

Got my package yesterday (it was squished into my mailbox though I could barely get it out!)

No email id yet though :-/

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

RSN

Silver

Post by RSN » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:59 pm

omegaweapon wrote:Got mine today, the belt clip is really cool looking.
Is that what that is? Not a keychain? I'm mystified.

fantastic2018

New

Post by fantastic2018 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:21 pm

LetsGoMets wrote:
I've got it on my keychain....Hopefully I'm not walking around with a belt clip in my hands.

omegaweapon

Bronze

Post by omegaweapon » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:09 pm

fantastic2018 wrote:
LetsGoMets wrote:
I've got it on my keychain....Hopefully I'm not walking around with a belt clip in my hands.
It seems to me to be designed to run your belt through the loop, and attach things to it. There's a key ring at the end, so keys seem like a natural thing to attach, but I used it with my water bottle when I went hiking today, and it works fine for that too.

sneakyleo

Bronze

Post by sneakyleo » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:13 pm

---
Last edited by sneakyleo on Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”