Michigan Law c/o 2018 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

Which ASW will you attend?

March 19-21
34%
April 9-11
42%
Neither
24%

Total votes: 71

wonka

Bronze

Post removed.

Post by wonka » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:54 am

Post removed.
Last edited by wonka on Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChemEng1642

Silver

Re: Michigan Law c/o 2018

Post by ChemEng1642 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:03 am

mwonka wrote:
ChemEng1642 wrote:Any suggestions on what to do walking distance from the law school? My SO and I will be staying the rest of Saturday!
I stopped by the art museum across from the Law Quad and it was nice, a good way to spend some time if you'd like to be inside.
I spent a lot of time with some people walking to downtown Ann Arbor for food-exploration/Michigan brew tour and that was really fun! You can kill a lot of time that way, and it gives you a feel for what it would actually be like to live there.
oo thanks!

RareExports

Silver

Post by RareExports » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:48 am

ChemEng1642 wrote:Any suggestions on what to do walking distance from the law school? My SO and I will be staying the rest of Saturday!
Museums in the area are both good and close by. The art museum, archaeology museum, and natural history museum are all impressive and within about a half mile from the Law Quad.

The farmers' market is also worth checking out, but is about a twenty minute walk from the Law Quad. If you're into indie/foreign film, the Michigan and State Theaters are both within a few minutes of the Law Quad.

I will also note that it's hard to overstate the quality of the food in the Liberty Street/Main Street area. It can run more pricy at times, but is almost without exception very good.

vm18

New

Post by vm18 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:58 pm

Any summer starters waitlisted at other schools? Is the April 30th deposit a final deposit? Or can I send my depot by April 30th and enroll at Penn if I hear back from them Mid-May before I start classes at Michigan?

I guess my question is When are you officially enrolled? The first day of class?

giantswan

Bronze

Post by giantswan » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:48 pm

vm18 wrote:Any summer starters waitlisted at other schools? Is the April 30th deposit a final deposit? Or can I send my depot by April 30th and enroll at Penn if I hear back from them Mid-May before I start classes at Michigan?

I guess my question is When are you officially enrolled? The first day of class?
I think how late you're willing to stay on the waitlist depends on you. Pretty sure you can definitely stay on until at least the first day of class and I've even heard of people getting accepted off waitlists after already starting classes somewhere else.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thatssoraven

New

Post by thatssoraven » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:43 am

For those of you who went to ASW, what was the dress code like? I know it said casual in the email but I thought I'd check and see what casual actually means before I pack an unnecessary amount of clothing.

BlueLaw11

Bronze

Post by BlueLaw11 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:23 am

thatssoraven wrote:For those of you who went to ASW, what was the dress code like? I know it said casual in the email but I thought I'd check and see what casual actually means before I pack an unnecessary amount of clothing.
I'd say it was a mix; half the students I met were dressed casual (one admit wore a Taylor Swift concert tour shirt) but I'd say more than most were dressed in a nice button-up/sweater with jeans or slacks. You mingle with faculty so I'd recommend the latter, personally.

Also in regards to questions about food: My 1L buddy took me to a bar called Hop Cat and I had the best burger I've ever had in my life. Highly recommend it!

mina_ami

New

Post by mina_ami » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:11 am

BlueLaw11 wrote:
thatssoraven wrote:For those of you who went to ASW, what was the dress code like? I know it said casual in the email but I thought I'd check and see what casual actually means before I pack an unnecessary amount of clothing.
For what I saw, basically look put together, so don't wear your favorite jeans with the hole in the knee, but don't worry about dressing up. Remember, you're already in, so there's no need to put on a front and try to "impress" anyone because you showed up in your Sunday best. This is going to sound cliché, but try to be you. If you're most comfortable in business casual, go for it. If you want to wear jeans, that's fine. The only people who looked out of place last month were the one or two who wore a suit, but if you want to wear a suit, just rock it.

From last time though, if you can: bring some layers. Haven't looked at the weather, but it would be fine some days, but then pretty chilly at night. Walking around Ann Arbor wasn't terribly fun while shivering.

thatssoraven

New

Post by thatssoraven » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:53 am

mina_ami wrote:
BlueLaw11 wrote:
For what I saw, basically look put together, so don't wear your favorite jeans with the hole in the knee, but don't worry about dressing up. Remember, you're already in, so there's no need to put on a front and try to "impress" anyone because you showed up in your Sunday best. This is going to sound cliché, but try to be you. If you're most comfortable in business casual, go for it. If you want to wear jeans, that's fine. The only people who looked out of place last month were the one or two who wore a suit, but if you want to wear a suit, just rock it.

From last time though, if you can: bring some layers. Haven't looked at the weather, but it would be fine some days, but then pretty chilly at night. Walking around Ann Arbor wasn't terribly fun while shivering.
Thanks so much to the both of you! Probably going to change around what I packed a bit based on this, as it seems more like what I normally wear anyway.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RareExports

Silver

Post by RareExports » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:33 pm

Just got my merit award. Definitely a game changer.

logical seasoning

Bronze

Post by logical seasoning » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:35 pm

BlueLaw11 wrote:
I'd say it was a mix; half the students I met were dressed casual (one admit wore a Taylor Swift concert tour shirt) but I'd say more than most were dressed in a nice button-up/sweater with jeans or slacks. You mingle with faculty so I'd recommend the latter, personally.

Also in regards to questions about food: My 1L buddy took me to a bar called Hop Cat and I had the best burger I've ever had in my life. Highly recommend it!
A fellow classmate brought this to my attention, and I have to come out of retirement to say this-- I was the guy in the Tay Tay T Shirt. I had to wear it for... reasons. I am NOT an admitted student, nor would I have worn it if I was. Dont wear anything that will make you stick out, be it a suit, katy perry tshirt, or whatever because weirdly enough, current students will remember you if you are weird/abrasive.

Also, Hop Cat was the best burger in your life? What, are you coming from Sudan?

Kinky John

Silver

Post by Kinky John » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:43 pm

logical seasoning wrote:Also, Hop Cat was the best burger in your life? What, are you coming from Sudan?
LOL ikr?

For anyone wondering, Blimpy Burger is TCR. Maybe even quickie burger.

RareExports

Silver

Post by RareExports » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:33 pm

swadianfc wrote:
logical seasoning wrote:Also, Hop Cat was the best burger in your life? What, are you coming from Sudan?
LOL ikr?

For anyone wondering, Blimpy Burger is TCR. Maybe even quickie burger.
Blimpy>>>>>>McDonald's>Bursley>>>>>cucumber salad>>>Quickie Burger

To put it into perspective.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:36 pm

frita batidos >>>> nasty ass regular burgers

elevation burger is pretty good too

sneezus

Bronze

Post by sneezus » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:08 pm

looks increasingly like i'll be in ann arbor come fall. checking in

Kinky John

Silver

Post by Kinky John » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:19 pm

6778628 wrote: Blimpy>>>>>>McDonald's>Bursley>>>>>cucumber salad>>>Quickie Burger

To put it into perspective.
Ya but only 2 of those are walking distance from the LS. Although I forgot about BurgerFi
Mack.Hambleton wrote:frita batidos >>>> nasty ass regular burgers
Gives me the shits without fail. Besides Gratzi and Zingerman's easily one of the most overrated places in AA IMO

thatssoraven

New

Post by thatssoraven » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:28 pm

Sooooo anyone at ASW yet? Today was both informative and exhausting and I'm already ready to move to Ann Arbor in the fall, haha. Also please let me know if we happen to meet!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

gold33

New

Post by gold33 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:59 pm

Dean Z is just as cool in person as you would expect.

I want to *be* her.

pylon

Silver

Post by pylon » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:33 pm

I'm impressed with Michigan.

KingsleyZissou

New

Post by KingsleyZissou » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:54 pm

Mack.Hambleton wrote:frita batidos >>>> nasty ass regular burgers

elevation burger is pretty good too
Just had Hunter House sliders for the first time. Definitely worth a try.

taptaptop

Bronze

Post by taptaptop » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:26 pm

Law1491 wrote:Has the tuition for 2015-2016 been already announced?
Thank you
About 54660-54670 (tuition and fees)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:05 am

I'm in AA this weekend (but not for ASW) if anyone has any questions/wants someone to show them around

TheDogWhisperer

New

Post by TheDogWhisperer » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:55 am

Quickie burger sucks IMO and I have a sublet available for the summer until after finals right across form the law school CHEAP. PM me if interested

sneezus

Bronze

Post by sneezus » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:08 pm

anyone planning on living in the lawyers quad thing? or opting for off campus?

lnick93

Bronze

Post by lnick93 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:50 am

Just withdrew- I hope my $$$ will go to one of you!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”