Barbri Practice questions and MBA question Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
ncheerharan

New

Barbri Practice questions and MBA question

Post by ncheerharan » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:39 pm

Hey guys,

So i just wanted to see if anyone else is in the same boat as me or am i just stupid.

I'm in week 4 of the barbri personal study plan, and the learning questions and mbe question sets have been giving me nightmares. Only issue is, i have no idea what i should be scoring, so idk if i'm doing the same as everyone else or if i'm in real trouble.

The learning questions have really been tripping me up on certain parts, and I'm averaging about 50-65% of the questions right. Except for torts. Torts im getting absolutely destroyed. I'm getting general principles right for torts, but its very small nuances that trip me up (such as hearing instead of seeing counts for bystander damages in regards to perceiving) and i have seen my scores in the learning questions, coupled with mbe question sets, for torts go down from week 2 to week 3 to week 4 (granted the week 4 sample size is 3 questions, but getting 2 wrong on small nuances has me in panic mode).

As for the mbe question sets, I have done 2 question sets, and gotten 6/9 on both of them. I made a careless error on a question in both, and am kicking myself for not getting the 7/9 but thats life and will probably happen on the real exam if being honest. Is 6/9 average, bad, or good? because I honestly have no idea and barbri doesnt exatly tell me what i should be aiming for in those mbe question sets.

Thanks in advance, and seriously, i despise everything about torts and hate that there wasnt an outline for the torts lecture, because writing it out and having that to read would have been extremely helpful. I ended up purchasing the critical pass flashcards and may try writing out the conviser mini review outline for torts a couples of time to help me get it memorized.

Bronze

Re: Barbri Practice questions and MBA question

Post by 265489164158 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:57 pm

Don't despair! I am also starting week 4 of Barbri personal learning plan, so I don't have much wisdom to offer, but here goes:

-I took the lecture notes in outline format for Torts. I paused as needed, but felt like it was really helpful. If you DM me, I will email you my Torts notes.
-Learning questions and knowledge check questions: are you doing these slowly and reading the answer explanations after each question? They have very concise rule statements, that I then add to my outline if I don't have it or had the rule down incorrectly. I am using these to learn as I go and find it very helpful. You have to learn from the wrong answers (and the "right" ones that you guessed on) to improve.
-the MBE mixed sets are challenging because they are on the computer and you can't mark up the question as you go. Also, it is still early.
-you can see your percentile on the dashboard. You might be doing better than you thought. Otoh, if you think it could mess with your head, don't look.

caitlin1016

New

Post by caitlin1016 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:15 pm

ncheerharan wrote:Hey guys,

So i just wanted to see if anyone else is in the same boat as me or am i just stupid.

I'm in week 4 of the barbri personal study plan, and the learning questions and mbe question sets have been giving me nightmares. Only issue is, i have no idea what i should be scoring, so idk if i'm doing the same as everyone else or if i'm in real trouble.

The learning questions have really been tripping me up on certain parts, and I'm averaging about 50-65% of the questions right. Except for torts. Torts im getting absolutely destroyed. I'm getting general principles right for torts, but its very small nuances that trip me up (such as hearing instead of seeing counts for bystander damages in regards to perceiving) and i have seen my scores in the learning questions, coupled with mbe question sets, for torts go down from week 2 to week 3 to week 4 (granted the week 4 sample size is 3 questions, but getting 2 wrong on small nuances has me in panic mode).

As for the mbe question sets, I have done 2 question sets, and gotten 6/9 on both of them. I made a careless error on a question in both, and am kicking myself for not getting the 7/9 but thats life and will probably happen on the real exam if being honest. Is 6/9 average, bad, or good? because I honestly have no idea and barbri doesnt exatly tell me what i should be aiming for in those mbe question sets.

Thanks in advance, and seriously, i despise everything about torts and hate that there wasnt an outline for the torts lecture, because writing it out and having that to read would have been extremely helpful. I ended up purchasing the critical pass flashcards and may try writing out the conviser mini review outline for torts a couples of time to help me get it memorized.

I'm taking California now with Barbri but I took Illinois with Barbri before and passed. I would say not to freak out about the percentiles and the number of questions you're getting right.
The lectures are helpful but mainly for understanding. The Conviser Mini Review for your state has everything you need to know. Rely on that, not the longer outlines and the lecture notes. Barbri gives you an excessive amount of long outlines; you cannot feasibly learn all of this.
Also, consider Critical Pass flashcards. If you've memorized these cold (eventually), you will do well on the MBE and essays if you're decent at writing.
I hate torts too. Torts, contracts, and property are my weaknesses. I know every question has a right answer but I find these three subjects to be more unclear with a "right" answer as opposed to evidence, civ pro, con law, crim law and pro. Work on your weak subjects but work on excelling at the subjects you have confidence in. If you're not doing as well at torts, work on it, yes, but work on excelling at your best subjects.
Just my two cents. I haven't taken California yet obviously, but this worked for me for Illinois
I wouldn't beat yourself up over how many questions you feel you "should" be getting right because this'll just add anxiety. Just focus on learning from mistakes.

placidstate

New

Post by placidstate » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:21 am

Hi! May I know which learning set the torts nuance of NIED was from? I dont remember seeing it and kindda worried I'm forgetting things now...? Thanks

ncheerharan

New

Post by ncheerharan » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:43 am

265489164158 wrote:Don't despair! I am also starting week 4 of Barbri personal learning plan, so I don't have much wisdom to offer, but here goes:

-I took the lecture notes in outline format for Torts. I paused as needed, but felt like it was really helpful. If you DM me, I will email you my Torts notes.
-Learning questions and knowledge check questions: are you doing these slowly and reading the answer explanations after each question? They have very concise rule statements, that I then add to my outline if I don't have it or had the rule down incorrectly. I am using these to learn as I go and find it very helpful. You have to learn from the wrong answers (and the "right" ones that you guessed on) to improve.
-the MBE mixed sets are challenging because they are on the computer and you can't mark up the question as you go. Also, it is still early.
-you can see your percentile on the dashboard. You might be doing better than you thought. Otoh, if you think it could mess with your head, don't look.
Thanks, this actually made me feel a little bit better. I would dm, but the forum wont let me do that (i guess technically im still a little new to the forum for me to have that access, but see if you can dm me?

I am doing the knowledge checks and learning questions at like a normal speed, not too fast but not exactly combing it over every small detail over a few times before answering. I am reading why i got it right and wrong, and do feel like im picking up on a few things here and there.

Percentile has me feeling okay about all the subjects except torts lol. 50-70 percentile for all civ pro, con law, and prop but then 20 percentile for torts so ya not great

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ncheerharan

New

Post by ncheerharan » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:44 am

placidstate wrote:Hi! May I know which learning set the torts nuance of NIED was from? I dont remember seeing it and kindda worried I'm forgetting things now...? Thanks
It was on an MBE question set, cant remember which one, but the question really focused on the fact that a bystander heard the screams of a group of people being hurt rather than seeing it and turned and saw that it his wife was in the group. I got tripped up by the heard instead of saw, when in reality its about perceiving the event and hearing counts

Bronze

Post by 265489164158 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:26 pm

ncheerharan wrote:
Thanks, this actually made me feel a little bit better. I would dm, but the forum wont let me do that (i guess technically im still a little new to the forum for me to have that access, but see if you can dm me?

I am doing the knowledge checks and learning questions at like a normal speed, not too fast but not exactly combing it over every small detail over a few times before answering. I am reading why i got it right and wrong, and do feel like im picking up on a few things here and there.
Ok, I just sent you a message. I would go back and "review" the learning questions you have already answered and pull out those rule statements to either make flashcards, or add to your own outline or notes. I blew through the first couple of subjects before I realized the learning questions for each subject are a really valuable way to identify areas that I misunderstood or overlooked (often, I find that I am missing an element, or not really understanding a key term).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”