Life Tenant's Duty to Pay Property Taxes? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
CLSGumbo

New

Life Tenant's Duty to Pay Property Taxes?

Post by CLSGumbo » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:12 pm

I've read conflicting rules of law on this. If a property has the potential to make money off rents but the life tenant has no interest in renting it and doesnt occupy it. Is the life tenant still responsible for paying the property taxes? I know if they receive rents they are, and if they dont receive any rent because the property is worthless they dont have a duty. But what if they choose not to accept rent from the property?

estefanchanning

Bronze

Re: Life Tenant's Duty to Pay Property Taxes?

Post by estefanchanning » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:15 pm

CLSGumbo wrote:I've read conflicting rules of law on this. If a property has the potential to make money off rents but the life tenant has no interest in renting it and doesnt occupy it. Is the life tenant still responsible for paying the property taxes? I know if they receive rents they are, and if they dont receive any rent because the property is worthless they dont have a duty. But what if they choose not to accept rent from the property?
They're liable up to reasonable rental value.

CLSGumbo

New

Post by CLSGumbo » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:42 pm

estefanchanning wrote:
CLSGumbo wrote:I've read conflicting rules of law on this. If a property has the potential to make money off rents but the life tenant has no interest in renting it and doesnt occupy it. Is the life tenant still responsible for paying the property taxes? I know if they receive rents they are, and if they dont receive any rent because the property is worthless they dont have a duty. But what if they choose not to accept rent from the property?
That's what I thought, but I had an adaptibar question that said they weren't.... will try and find that

estefanchanning

Bronze

Post by estefanchanning » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:51 pm

CLSGumbo wrote:
estefanchanning wrote:
That's what I thought, but I had an adaptibar question that said they weren't.... will try and find that
Please do, I'd be curious.

Cop2lawyerNYC

New

Post by Cop2lawyerNYC » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:30 pm

estefanchanning wrote:
CLSGumbo wrote:
estefanchanning wrote:
Please do, I'd be curious.
I remember that question. The facts said that the land was useless and could not be rented.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”