New York Bar July 2018 Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
tiffannybrown

New

Re: New York Bar July 2018

Post by tiffannybrown » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:53 pm

Anyone else feeling- WTF New york?

Trevorange

New

Post by Trevorange » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:00 pm

The Armory testing center was SO HOT, Jesus Christ. Did anyone else see that proctor feint?

Findedeux

Bronze

Post by Findedeux » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:00 pm

That woman reading the instructions was hilarious.

It was like she was practicing in front of the mirror.

tiffannybrown

New

Post by tiffannybrown » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:10 pm

DId anyone feel crummy after today? I felt like more than one of the questions I was puzzled with, and even after having time to look at my notes i still don't know the answer. Also the 2nd question on the MPT.... ive never seen an MPT like that before.

supersonicfast

New

Post by supersonicfast » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:28 pm

tiffannybrown wrote:DId anyone feel crummy after today? I felt like more than one of the questions I was puzzled with, and even after having time to look at my notes i still don't know the answer. Also the 2nd question on the MPT.... ive never seen an MPT like that before.
You're not the only one, with regards to the second MPT. Absolutely did not expect that second MPT. The test is constantly evolving.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Findedeux

Bronze

Post by Findedeux » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:29 pm

tiffannybrown wrote:DId anyone feel crummy after today? I felt like more than one of the questions I was puzzled with, and even after having time to look at my notes i still don't know the answer. Also the 2nd question on the MPT.... ive never seen an MPT like that before.
I felt the second MPT was easy just because it was so straightforward.

I think the 1st was a lot harder especially for time management. They suggested the structure but mine was awful, I forgot to break down the rule and address it bit by bit. Pretty sure I will score below average on that one.

The girl next to me was still working on it thirty minutes into the 2nd.

Yeah, I'm with you on some of the MEE questions. I looked up in Themis and I still don't understand. It seems like they were asking a hybrid question in one of them that I had never seen combined before.

tiffannybrown

New

Post by tiffannybrown » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:33 pm

Also even the first MEE- i wrote down what i thought, and after looking it up it seems to be right, but WTF with all of the analyitical con law questions that could have been asked... it seems like that first was just a straight foward answer, no analysis.

These questions were so weird. Also between the MPT and the MEE- 2 coproation questions..... really? Out of 17 topics or whatever, 2 on coporations? It all felt so bizzaro.

Calbears123

Bronze

Post by Calbears123 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:46 pm

MPT 1 - Took me a second to wrap my head around about how to get my thoughts down. I think this question was harder than people thought after a first read through. I think if I wanted to make this MPT perfect it would take a couple of hours. I went 15 minutes over

MPT 2- Straight forward. I took it slow but rushed at the end. Didn't feel like I was using much "law" out of the library other than some stuff on that Corporation treatise

MEE 1 - Didn't think it was difficult

MEE 2 - Didn't think it was difficult, I discussed both common law and merchant firm offer even though it was a sale of goods

MEE 3 - Lmao wut? I took realestate transaction in school and remember there was a special rule for construction loans but I forgot it. (Was it in the barbri material?)

MEE 4 - I just dumped a bunch fiduciary duties and said they were all broken. I also applied an anti-lapse statute when the fact pattern said there was no statute so oppps

MEE 5 - Pretty straight forward hearsay/character questions

MEE 6 - Pretty straight forward about corporation at the beginning but then I found myself talking about partnerships just to see if the man could be liable somehow.

tiffannybrown

New

Post by tiffannybrown » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:51 pm

3 was the weirdest question ever. I hope tomorrow is smooth, but im fried. Im not doing any questions or anything tonight.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Cop2lawyerNYC

New

Post by Cop2lawyerNYC » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:14 pm

tiffannybrown wrote:Anyone else feeling- WTF New york?
Yes! For #3 in particular. Thank good I’m not the only one! I was thinking secured transactions because that was one of the “sure bets” according to predictions! Ha.

rustyburger2

Bronze

Post by rustyburger2 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:15 pm

Calbears123 wrote:MPT 1 - Took me a second to wrap my head around about how to get my thoughts down. I think this question was harder than people thought after a first read through. I think if I wanted to make this MPT perfect it would take a couple of hours. I went 15 minutes over

MPT 2- Straight forward. I took it slow but rushed at the end. Didn't feel like I was using much "law" out of the library other than some stuff on that Corporation treatise

MEE 1 - Didn't think it was difficult

MEE 2 - Didn't think it was difficult, I discussed both common law and merchant firm offer even though it was a sale of goods

MEE 3 - Lmao wut? I took realestate transaction in school and remember there was a special rule for construction loans but I forgot it. (Was it in the barbri material?)

MEE 4 - I just dumped a bunch fiduciary duties and said they were all broken. I also applied an anti-lapse statute when the fact pattern said there was no statute so oppps

MEE 5 - Pretty straight forward hearsay/character questions

MEE 6 - Pretty straight forward about corporation at the beginning but then I found myself talking about partnerships just to see if the man could be liable somehow.
You might be my spirit animal. That's exactly what I did down to a T.

What do you guys think is the average number of issues people fuck up? I'd say I knew the law for about 2/3 of the issues for the whole MEE, but was guessing for a good 1/3.

tiffannybrown

New

Post by tiffannybrown » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:31 pm

Anyone talk about that man having an equitable servitude in #3? It was the only thing i could think of, that I could make sense.... i feel like it was a real far reach though.

frqw9201

New

Post by frqw9201 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:34 pm

#3 was mentioned briefly in a Themis Question. If there is a line of credit for a mortgage and the payments are obligated by the bank then it will have priority, but if its discretionary like the question, then each payment will count like a new loan and then you do first in time. So the first payment will have priority then the mechanics lien happened then another payment of $40k was made. The mechanics lien will have priority over that 40k portion of the mortgage.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JHP

Bronze

Post by JHP » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:45 pm

Damn guys. For the most part same for me except:

MPT: oh yeah, totally got this handled oh wait there's a lot to READ OH MAN I'M GETTING CONFUSED AND I'M RUNNING OUT OF TI--

MEE:
#1: I was like WTFFFFF the whole time. Seatmate next to me also stared at the prompt for a good 10 minutes. I couldn't fully grasp what it was trying to ask other than about economic aggregation (i threw in the idea of commandeering, but I think that's wrong) + federal grants
#2: Meh okay fine, I think I got most of it, but my answers were pretty short so not sure what I missed
#3: .......F*CK. What in the god damn hell is a mechanic's lien--here is where I make shit up (and according to frqw9201, I DEFINITELY got this wrong)
#4: Mmm okay got it
#5: Uh yeah it's all fine admit it all
#6: Word vomit, also about piercing veil, possible partnership (but likely not), and about promoter liability

tiffannybrown

New

Post by tiffannybrown » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:45 pm

frqw9201 wrote:#3 was mentioned briefly in a Themis Question. If there is a line of credit for a mortgage and the payments are obligated by the bank then it will have priority, but if its discretionary like the question, then each payment will count like a new loan and then you do first in time. So the first payment will have priority then the mechanics lien happened then another payment of $40k was made. The mechanics lien will have priority over that 40k portion of the mortgage.
Oh yes, thats exactly what i wrote. :|

Cop2lawyerNYC

New

Post by Cop2lawyerNYC » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:47 pm

frqw9201 wrote:#3 was mentioned briefly in a Themis Question. If there is a line of credit for a mortgage and the payments are obligated by the bank then it will have priority, but if its discretionary like the question, then each payment will count like a new loan and then you do first in time. So the first payment will have priority then the mechanics lien happened then another payment of $40k was made. The mechanics lien will have priority over that 40k portion of the mortgage.
I remember this rule, so I threw it in anyway in a barely literate way. But then I thought it was secured transactions, so I said UCC article article 9 blah blah states...
Would they give partial points for this or am I screwed?

White Dwarf

Bronze

Post by White Dwarf » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:57 pm

tiffannybrown wrote:
Oh yes, thats exactly what i wrote. :|
This is the analysis I did, but I came to the opposite conclusion. This wasn't a normal line-of-credit mortgage. It was mortgage for the full $200K unless the borrower failed to make sufficient progress.

It's probably meant to be debatable, as the mortgage didn't fall within normal LOC mortgage (in which the mechanic's lien would have priority over the later dispersed sums) or a traditional lump-sum mortgage (in which the mechanic's lien would be subordinate to the whole $200K.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

hockeyman969

Bronze

Post by hockeyman969 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:15 pm

Had a friend from law school complaining there was no civ pro, feel awful for you.

MRSP

New

Post by MRSP » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:06 am

JHP wrote:Damn guys. For the most part same for me except:

MPT: oh yeah, totally got this handled oh wait there's a lot to READ OH MAN I'M GETTING CONFUSED AND I'M RUNNING OUT OF TI--

MEE:
#1: I was like WTFFFFF the whole time. Seatmate next to me also stared at the prompt for a good 10 minutes. I couldn't fully grasp what it was trying to ask other than about economic aggregation (i threw in the idea of commandeering, but I think that's wrong) + federal grants
#2: Meh okay fine, I think I got most of it, but my answers were pretty short so not sure what I missed
#3: .......F*CK. What in the god damn hell is a mechanic's lien--here is where I make shit up (and according to frqw9201, I DEFINITELY got this wrong)
#4: Mmm okay got it
#5: Uh yeah it's all fine admit it all
#6: Word vomit, also about piercing veil, possible partnership (but likely not), and about promoter liability
This was me to a T lmao! Your post just made my day cause I have been feeling so meh about the exam since the first day. How did you feel about the MBE?

djwjddl

Bronze

Post by djwjddl » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:44 pm

I thought both MBE sections were not too difficult, with the PM being slightly more challenging. But overall, did not think that I was completely unprepared for either section. Am I the only one?

adil91

Silver

Post by adil91 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:58 pm

djwjddl wrote:I thought both MBE sections were not too difficult, with the PM being slightly more challenging. But overall, did not think that I was completely unprepared for either section. Am I the only one?
I feel exactly the same. The questions were easier than the Themis practice questions

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Findedeux

Bronze

Post by Findedeux » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:02 pm

djwjddl wrote:I thought both MBE sections were not too difficult, with the PM being slightly more challenging. But overall, did not think that I was completely unprepared for either section. Am I the only one?
There's a difference between being completely unprepared versus actually being prepared enough to score as well as you need to I think for most people their fears are about the latter

Findedeux

Bronze

Post by Findedeux » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:04 pm

adil91 wrote:
I feel exactly the same. The questions were easier than the Themis practice questions
I don't think that's how most people feel

Jdsquared87

New

Post by Jdsquared87 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:43 am

Findedeux wrote:
adil91 wrote:
I don't think that's how most people feel

Agreed. I DEFINITELY feel like the actual mbe were more difficult than practice mcqs.

TheJuryMustDie

Bronze

Post by TheJuryMustDie » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:32 pm

Exactly my thought. I felt the MBE questions were unusually easier than normal! It felt so strangely easy I can't put it into words! Of course, there were a few questions you'd struggle with, but nowhere near what I had expected. Fingers crossed!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”